Kegs Drop-rate Analysis (Premium, Silver, Gold)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying barrels is certainly not going to be worth the money. Unless you are supremely lucky you are mostly going to get duplicates of commons and a few rares that you already have. If money means nothing to you then whatever, but otherwise it's probably not going to be worth it.

1-3 kegs a day is nice but if you get virtually nothing from them then of course you are still going to have an issue with the game.

ListlessDonkey;n8729070 said:
In 30 barrels which I paid good money for I received the following: 4 epics and 0 legendary cards.

I feel like the RNG of this game is too mean and I can't believe they will keep it this way. You'd have to spend hundreds of pounds just to get a workable deck.

I've spent nothing, play with more or less the starter deck (bought only 1 silver for 200 scrap) and have a 80% winrate so faar.

STarted ranked today, currently rank 8 and climbing rly fast with the winstreaks (u get tons of kegs there btw )

I win even vs people who have all BIS gold/silver cards in theyr deck (Ragh nar rook, Ciri, Igni, yennefer, etc....).

Bcs started 1 week ago still saving 800 scraps for my first legendary....the way is the goal.

But as said having the best cards won't help you if you dont know how to play with the existing ones. ;)

Scroll a lil bit trough "http://www.gwentdb.com/decks" find urself a good starterdeck for a faction you prefer and practice only with this deck....this will help you more than to spend 100ts of pounds.

GL & hf. :)

Last edited:
I've been playing the game for ages since closed beta in which I was top 50 on Xbox. Now my win/loss rate is negative in ranked. Partly my own fault for trying out random decks in ranked simply because I wanted the rewards it gives. Even so, there is a clear lack of balance when it comes to deck design and the golds you have make a huge difference regardless of what you might think. You can't beat a Kayran playing for nearly 30 points locked behind a gold or Ciri for card advantage.

My point is if you pay for kegs there should be some kind of fail-safe to stop it leaving a sour taste in your mouth. For example, after 10 kegs purchased you get a guaranteed legendary. I want to support this game and the effort the devs have put in but I can't justify spending my hard earned money on this game if it doesn't enhance my playing experience. Buying kegs shouldn't be like putting money into a fruit machine. It should be satisfying not painful.

Also, if I was Noxious and won 20k in the tournament i'd have enough money to buy all the kegs I need so I wouldn't be complaining either ;)

I feel bad for your misfortune, but it's not like the odds are rigged or anything. In the maybe a couple of dozen kegs I've cracked F2P I've gotten six legendary cards (3 fixed, 3 CYO), with one pack having two. Things like this even out over time, so strings of bad luck will eventually break. Being a CCG also allows us to eventually just craft everything we need.

PandaLin;n8729300 said:
Please watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSR8I2_C0Yg&t=390s

Also, If you find an another card game where you can get 1-3 kegs per day that easy. Please show it to me.

This post isn't about the viability of F2P, it's about what you get for actual money you spend on the game. People spend money because they want to be able to play the game without grinding kegs for weeks to build a deck and right now the value of keg purchases is absolutely terrible. It seems crazy you can spend more money than most full-priced games cost and not get enough cards to build even a single optimized deck.

In 30 barrels which I paid good money for I received the following: 4 epics and 0 legendary cards.

I feel like the RNG of this game is too mean and I can't believe they will keep it this way. You'd have to spend hundreds of pounds just to get a workable deck.

I bet this is your first TCG because the amount of kegs you get per day with just an hour of playing and the extra rewards from ranking up is by far the best out of all of them.
In fact, since open beta started and having only ever played for the 100+75 ore rewards I already crafted at least 4 legendaries and a bunch of epics (tho I did decide to focus on only 3 factions for now so Im milling all rare/common cards from the other 2 factions).

StrykerxS77x;n8729340 said:
Buying barrels is certainly not going to be worth the money. Unless you are supremely lucky you are mostly going to get duplicates of commons and a few rares that you already have. If money means nothing to you then whatever, but otherwise it's probably not going to be worth it.

1-3 kegs a day is nice but if you get virtually nothing from them then of course you are still going to have an issue with the game.

That's assuming you already have most commons and rares wich won't be the case unless you opened like 300+ kegs already but then you would already have most epics and a lot of legendaries+thousands of scraps to craft the remaining ones.

Last edited:
Shuls02;n8730300 said:
That's assuming you already have most commons and rares wich won't be the case unless you opened like 300+ kegs already but then you would already have most epics and a lot of legendaries+thousands of scraps to craft the remaining ones.

Commons drop like candy from the kegs so you get duplicates of those very quickly. 300 kegs is grossly exaggerating. I have been getting mostly duplicates now after approximately 30-40 kegs. It's because there are more rare cards and less common than what we saw in the closed beta. So those first four cards you get in a keg are usually going to be common and you are going to get them over and over and over again. The bronze cards that I really need have been rare cards every time and haven't been showing up at the end of a keg, in which case I get nothing from the keg that I actually need.

StrykerxS77x;n8730780 said:
Commons drop like candy from the kegs so you get duplicates of those very quickly. 300 kegs is grossly exaggerating. I have been getting mostly duplicates now after approximately 30-40 kegs. It's because there are more rare cards and less common than what we saw in the closed beta. So those first four cards you get in a keg are usually going to be common and you are going to get them over and over and over again. The bronze cards that I really need have been rare cards every time and haven't been showing up at the end of a keg, in which case I get nothing from the keg that I actually need.

Thing is I said "commons AND rares" so my statement still stands.

PandaLin;n8729300 said:
Also, If you find an another card game where you can get 1-3 kegs per day that easy. Please show it to me.

This!
Gwent practically gives Kegs away and yet, people still cry because they didn't get all the cards they wanted in the very first one....CD Project Red are really generous, but even THAT would be too much.
I'm going to buy some Kegs tonight to mainly just boost my roster atm (I just started playing this on the PS4 when the open beta started) and support the devs.
I am not at the point to really care for any special legendaries since I can easily make the basic ones work for what I need. Your deck shouldn't rely on just one or two cards, this isn't Hearthstone.

Oh boy. Why would you waste your money on kegs? Gwent is for people who can afford to pay hundreds and hundreds of euro to build competitive decks. That's it. Of course it's F2P and you can run around and play in casual mode or try ranked with your basic deck but it will not be a pleasurable experience. Oh and it's not only F2P, the game rewards players for playing, right? Ha. I wasted 10 days playing nearly 8 hours a day and I stuck at rank 9-10, because I simply cannot get the cards that I need(after opening 50+ kegs). And thanks to GG button that's doesn't show up in half of the games, so I get like 2-3 scraps for 1 game, so all I need to do is just play some hundreds game of Gwent to afford one Gold card. GG

sund_F;n8731000 said:
Why would you waste your money on kegs? Gwent is for people who can afford to pay hundreds and hundreds of euro to build competitive decks. That's it.

Lol, that feels a little dramatic...
But why not buy Kegs? I mean I would only spend $20 max and I am only willing to do so just to boost my base card count since I am fairly new. This is just the way F2P games are setup nowadays, so they will have some sort of way to get you to pay. So far, Gwent is in no way forcing you to pay for Kegs. As for the scrap costs of Golds, it would be a waste of their potential if they were so easily obtained. If you grab on from a Keg, then it's your lucky day. Everyone has the same chance and Gwent even let's you choose one of the cards!
You don't have to pay money for this game, I just choose so since I appreciate the work and games CD Project Red puts out.
The grind is part of the fun!
*CCG communities tend to be pretty salty, it seems.....and I thought MOBA ones were bad.....lol*

Someone linked a Noxious highlight earlier which I think exemplifies this whole issue really well. The gist of it is that once you open your first 100 or so Kegs, whether that's purchased or F2P, you're essentially buying the Scrap value of 4 commons and 1 rare because you'll have all of the rest. If that $$-to-Scrap ratio doesn't seem good to you, you've gotta realize you're totally gambling and just like any real gamble, you can't validate feelings of unfairness by saying it's rigged... (I mean you can, but it generally isn't true, and you know it)

The more you buy, the quicker you'll reach that stage of 'not getting anymore good cards' and that's to be expected because you skipped the entire process of getting most of the 'new cards' over time from the card pool. Now you're just holding out for epics and legendaries.

And to those claiming you can't be competitive unless you have 4 and 6 insane faction legendaries and silvers, just remember that you start out with enough solid cards to fill out each slot (especially by the time you reach level 10) and that the majority of your deck is composed of bronze cards which is also where your counter and tech cards will lie. Assuming you're gonna beat every deck once you have best in slot cards is a fallacy because you need to be open to constantly adjusting your decks based on what you're facing the most of.

You can't beat a Kayran playing for nearly 30 points locked behind a gold or Ciri for card

Often you'll struggle with Kayran no matter how good your deck is. Definitely a card that needs a nerf.

Ciri is easy to counter... either you d-shackle it, or you craft a silver spy that is good for card advantage. Besides: card advantage is a lot less powerful now,

You are correct this is my first experience of F2P card games. You might consider it generous compared to the competition but I don't consider that a reason to celebrate. It's not a race to the bottom.

I guess my main gripe is being forced to play decks I don't find enjoyable for wins simply because the resources needed to craft the enjoyable decks are not at my disposal.

colorad0kid1107;n8731210 said:
Lol, that feels a little dramatic...
But why not buy Kegs? I mean I would only spend $20 max and I am only willing to do so just to boost my base card count since I am fairly new. This is just the way F2P games are setup nowadays, so they will have some sort of way to get you to pay. So far, Gwent is in no way forcing you to pay for Kegs. As for the scrap costs of Golds, it would be a waste of their potential if they were so easily obtained. If you grab on from a Keg, then it's your lucky day. Everyone has the same chance and Gwent even let's you choose one of the cards!
You don't have to pay money for this game, I just choose so since I appreciate the work and games CD Project Red puts out.
The grind is part of the fun!
*CCG communities tend to be pretty salty, it seems.....and I thought MOBA ones were bad.....lol*

I agree that Gwent is a wonderful game and devs did a really good job. And grinding part is not a big problem for people like me, who can afford playing A LOT every day, but imagine someone who has a day-time job or try-hard students, there's no way for them other than paying for kegs and praying for good luck to get good cards. I just would prefer to have a guarantee that if I pay for the game 60$ - I get at least all cards of 1 faction of my choosing.

Last edited:
What just happened to all of the post in this section regarding the low drop rate of golds? Oo

DRK3

Forum veteran
I dont know if this topic still wants more data. Sorry i didnt put it when the open beta dropped but i only recently joined the forums.

Out of the 50 kegs i opened day 1 (none bought with real money, if that matters), i got:

6 Legendaries/Golds
14 Epics/Silvers
13 Premiums (mostly commons and rares, but one Legendary)

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom