Keldar strategies

+
Alright so Im trying to do a witcher adept swarm deck with keldar and Erland, shuffling the adepts back into the deck with pavetta and then getting a double boost with vesemir mentor. Because Keldar is the only way to get a significant number of witchers on the board to transform into witcher adepts (like more than 5) I have based a ton of my deck around enabling him and I think I have played maybe one game where it actually works. I am playing with defender, fortune teller to give either him or a griffin witcher veil, I've played sheild wall and even pincer manuever to boost him up. He gets taken out, locked or stolen basically every game before making more than one or two students. For his provision cost that seems pretty nuts to me especially since he is the only way to enable this strategy that seems like it is intended to synergize with the witcher adepts.

If anyone else has figured something out let me know, at this point I'll probably switch to Idarran and use him to get more adepts/ students. Ironically he is one point stronger and one provision lower. Just posting this as some feedback.

EDIT: I changed the name because I was salty when I made it and it came across as complaining. There are some good suggestions in this thread and I have been having more luck after adding both keldar and Idarran to the deck because both cards need to get killed for the strategy to fail.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I havent tried new NR as much as other factions, and it seems others did that too as i rarely see any NR now, and when i do its usually old Shieldwall or beginners with starter decks.

But i will still try to help:

I think the new NR witchers arent that scary to face, and Keldar might be the most dangerous engine, so the opponents will save their best techs for it. I would suggest using shieldwall to protect it but it seems you already did that.

Dont boost it too much or protect it too much, or you will you draw more attention to it, signaling to your opponent that is an important part of your strategy. There are some mindgames in Gwent, for example i used a Kerack frigate shieldwall deck, and opponents didnt countered them because they were saving them for Anna or Vysogotta, and by the time they understood i didnt have them it was already too late.

Unfortunately, hard control will always be very popular, the best you can do is play several important engines, bait out the control on the less important ones and hope at least some see value.
I dont know exactly what a NR witcher deck should look like but it doesnt seem as threatening as shieldwall engine spam, so Keldar will always be a main target if you dont use other scary engines.

Yeah baiting out removal might be the ticket. Im going to try and see if I can squeeze both Keldar and idarran into a deck so that Im not screwed if one gets taken care of.

Your deck concept has him as the prime engine and as such will unavoidably result in him getting instakilled.

I'd propose doing things the other way - bait out R1 with your (veiled) griffin witchers while setting up your boosts for cards in your deck using Erland and Vesemir, THEN fire up buffed Keldar in R3 in combination with your adepts (and potentially a Coen + Roegner).
This one is actually a fairly powerful deck and strategy.

Your deck concept has him as the prime engine and as such will unavoidably result in him getting instakilled.

I'd propose doing things the other way - bait out R1 with your (veiled) griffin witchers while setting up your boosts for cards in your deck using Erland and Vesemir, THEN fire up buffed Keldar in R3 in combination with your adepts (and potentially a Coen + Roegner).
This one is actually a fairly powerful deck and strategy.

I'm down to try it (and I get your point that having the whole deck rely around keldar means he will get deleted) but the problem with using griffin adepts with coen is that the deck boost from erland doesn't apply to transformed adepts. I'd probably have to just use something like vesemir + voymir in the same round as my adepts and then boost coen to 6 to boost all the adepts.

FYI I tried out the pincer deck with keldar + idarran and it actually worked quite well especially when you draw them both round 1. Had a game where I got a fair number of adepts in the graveyard and pulled of the combo, still lost because it was against viy but felt good to have it work.

I just lost agaist an Uprising Witcher swarm list. Key was to have other means of swarming your board with students and using adepts R1 along AA and the other bronce witchers and Leo. Royal guards are always a nice opener. R3 he used Keldar and Adept followed by Vesemir and Scythmen + King Roegner. Kind of an all in list and was actually not mad losing with my boring lippy

DRK3

Forum veteran
@plastiq33 On the past 24h i finally got to try NR Witchers more seriously. I did a deck on WOTW launch day, but it wasnt good, the one i used now was a refined version, and it included Keldar.

I really liked it. I thought NR might've got the short end of the stick this update before, but now i think its not that bad, it can keep up with other new decks, but it might be a little trickier.

I am using all 3 gold NR witchers. Erland is the simplest and Coen is the hardest to pull off, but i managed to make each one shine on 3 different situations:

NR Witcher Swarm vs SY Swarm (My 1st Big Coen).jpg

18pt Coen, right before i "pull the trigger"
NR Witcher Swarm vs SY Swarm (Huge Leo).jpg

This Keldar definitely sticked, and have enough witcher students to transform and get huge Leo.
NR with more big bois than MO.jpg

So, Monsters is the big boy faction eh? My Erland, Leo and Roegner beg to differ... :ohstopit:

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
[...]
This Keldar definitely sticked, and have enough witcher students to transform and get huge Leo.
[...]
So, Monsters is the big boy faction eh? My Erland, Leo and Roegner beg to differ... :ohstopit:
Honestly I would say Coen is overrated and in Witcher Swarm decks probably not worth the effort.
That being said, why is that Roegner only 25 points large ?
The game is supposed to end on a 17 point Leo + 34/37 point Roegner.

Gyg

Forum regular
@DRK3 Mind you posting the deck? I'm curious which Wolf Witchers are you using and how many control do you have in deck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Honestly I would say Coen is overrated and in Witcher Swarm decks probably not worth the effort.
That being said, why is that Roegner only 25 points large ?
The game is supposed to end on a 17 point Leo + 34/37 point Roegner.

I disagree that Coen is overrated simply because i havent seen anyone but myself trying to use him, so clearly others arent valueing him much. But i do agree he's not worth the effort, maybe in a BSCommando deck but im tired of those.

And i've gotten much bigger Roegners, but this deck is not meant to put all chips on Roegner, also it was not a 10 card round 3, he's pretty big in that screenshot, for a 6-7 card round.
Post automatically merged:

@Gyg Sure, here it is:

But a few warnings:

- as you can see, it barely has any control. It has a Margarita, a boiling oil and a artefact compression as the only tall removal, which is not enough to be currently competitive

- i wanted to use all 3 NR gold witchers, but you can remove Coen and other cards i only put there to make him work like temple guard, and use more reliable cards, like cheap engines you can protect with shieldwall (1 charge always reserved for Keldar)

- the triangle card is meant to be used on giant immune erland, as he can only be countered by Yrden or CoCorruption

-Leo and Berengar are so freakin good on witcher decks.
GWitcher Ranger is also pretty good, i misread the card and thats why i didnt use him in my 1st NR deck but now those usually give good value, and after you transfer boosts you can transform them to shield witchers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom