Key Remapping

+
Sigh, keybinding breaks this for me, and with no fix for it in v1.04 and no word from CDPR on it as far as I can see. 8 years of dev and... this. Really? Something so critically important to actually PLAYING the game?

I loved The Witcher 3, but I am only barely into this game, and will ask for a refund. If I get it, great. If not, I'll wait on it until CDPR fixes this as it should be (configurable, usable), or until someone skilled comes up with solutions that make sense to the player.
While irritated by the hard-coded F key, it is not really a deal-breaker for me; though it is still such an awkward use of the action/speaking key, I hope they can be able to fix it... or free it as it were.

While irritated by the hard-coded F key, it is not really a deal-breaker for me; though it is still such an awkward use of the action/speaking key, I hope they can be able to fix it... or free it as it were.
I've been really unhappy with a few games before, but never asked for a refund until now.

The F key was another thing that really nailed my decision. I'm left-handed, and found someone else's solution in the first hour for the up and down arrow keys (which is such an elementary thing for CDPR to miss that it just amazes me).

All of these weird binding issues basically force me to reach way across my keyboard or play some unholy Twister game with my hand and fingers to activate some crucial aspects of the game... This is part of why being able to rebind the key map is so critical.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you! For me, maybe I'll come back to it eventually.

The F key was another thing that really nailed my decision. I'm left-handed, and found someone else's solution in the first hour for the up and down arrow keys (which is such an elementary thing for CDPR to miss that it just amazes me).
All of these weird binding issues basically force me to reach way across my keyboard or play some unholy Twister game with my hand and fingers to activate some crucial aspects of the game... This is part of why being able to rebind the key map is so critical.
Yes!, please help, left handed here too, i put "F" and "Q" normally on numeric keypad "Home" and "PgUP"

Read my previous post: (This is very easy to do, no skill mandatory)
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/key-remapping.11040601/page-23#post-12325496

Oh, I did more than that; I C&P'd it and saved it as an offline tutorial in my game solutions directory!
Post automatically merged:

I've been really unhappy with a few games before, but never asked for a refund until now.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you! For me, maybe I'll come back to it eventually.
I hope that they fix it for the left-handers as it's pretty useless to hard lock the keys as they did!

I don't know why all the hate about this. Hopefully you devs and all involved are proud of your work. You really should be. I want to add my voice to the key rebinding request though please.

People have already mentioned how it would be player friendly to be able to customize their key bindings completely, which I feel is crucially useful. I would like to mention that adding a drag and drop feature would be useful when it comes to moving things around in your inventory, rather than to just stick the the given key bindings. That or to allow us to customize the key bindings within the inventory as well because I'm not feeling the middle mouse button option, again this is a personal preference but it would be useful.

The potential issues and difficulties come with however they may have hardcoded everything. There may be events that require pushing a specific button to get a specific action and so they may need to first change the binding patterns, THEN play through the entire game to make sure that nothing is broken. Not that I have any idea, but when you build a game from the ground up with one way there's probably a lot of coding that needs to be altered veeeeery carefully.

Still wish they hadn't built it from the ground up like this. 'Tis somewhat silly, though makes a great deal more sense if as many have said they built it as a console game.
Crazy when you said they built this for console. When the majority of consoles can't run this game efficiently to begin with. Not alot of people have the new gen consoles. At least they got a console patch today?

Just to add my grumble to the pile, I have for a long time in shooters used [Alt] as my run/sprint key - the fact that it's hard bound to weapon swap had me swapping my weapon each time I attempted to sprint!
Also, double tap to stow weapon is so cumbersome! I had to google that one!

Lastly, I bound scan (toggle) to Z - which happened to be the default for the info panel swap - so it didn't work for me, but took me out of scan mode! Eventually got it sorted by unbounding the scan [hold] and moving scan [toggle] to tab, but ugh!

Just say no to fixed binding!! (apart from safety nets like [esc] to pull up menu)

can we remap dodge for keyboard please?
Yes you can !
See my post:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/key-remapping.11040601/page-23#post-12325496

Just to add my grumble to the pile
Just modify what you need:
See my previous post.

This must be a priority to fix.... at the moment I have to say it is impossible for me as left handed to play this game....
Like said several times, you know what to do:
Look at my post.

Last edited:
Just adding my name to the list - there needs to be FULL keyboard remapping.

I have been able to get it about 90% fixed with manually editing the config file, but that's NOT an acceptable solution. The game should not have released without full in-game remapping given how things went with Witcher 3. Love CDP's games, but I'm pretty astounded and disappointed they repeated the same thing again.

To edit the hotkeys you will have to edit config files by hand as all hotkeys are listed in the various config files.

Here's my settings (downloadable until 12/18/2020):
https://filebin.net/thqktziqdvyl1aza/Cyberpunk_2077_fixed.zip

I changed a few things:
  • No more double tap direction to dodge
  • Must press the dodge key and a direction key to dodge
  • Tilde is weapon switcher
  • Mouse4 is dodge
  • Mouse5 is Inventory Menu
  • Caps is toggle crouch
  • Tab is toggle scanner
  • F12 is camera
  • ALT is unbound
  • C is unbound
  • LControl in unbound
  • RControl is crouch hold

There are two config locations:
  • The keybinds you can change via the UI are found in <user>\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\UserSettings.json
  • The default game binds are <game>\r6\config\inputUserMappings.xml
See https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077

Here's the process to edit a keybind:
  1. Try the in-game UI keybinds
  2. If you want to use a key that is not mapped, use the new key in the UI keybinds (ie: bind your side-mouse buttons to anything)
  3. open UserSettings.json - find the bind you created and note the name of the key (ie: IK_Mouse4)
  4. open inputUserMappings.xml - find the keybind to change - add the new bind
  5. save inputUserMappings.xml - exit to the main menu & reload your save
Feel free to look through inputUserMappings.xml - some keys are mapped to multiple binds. ie: IK_Alt - which is in UserSettings.json as switch weapon, but it's also in inputUserMappings.xml - if you attempt to bind something in inputUserMappings.xml to IK_Alt and you also remove all other references to IK_Alt in that same file, it won't work until you unbind it in UserSettings.json (or the UI).

The overridableUI setting, means that setting can be changed in the UI Keybinds. I believe this means it's possible to edit controller binds in the UI. UserSettings.json mentions a default keybind, I'm think that has something todo with overridableUI setting

If UserSettings.json is deleted, it's re-created on game start
Any deleted files in the game directory however (including inputUserMappings.xml), if deleted must be restored via a game verify

You cant bind arrow keys even, how oblivious are these developers to leave out a fundamental aspect of playing the game on PC, its utterly lazy, greedy and down right stupid, every developer who has done this has failed and suffered horrible consequences for a stupid development decision that's been made in error over and over and yet they still dont learn, FIX OUR DAMN KEYS AND LET US RE MAP THEM HOW WE LIKE! Who in hell doesn't allow arrow keys to move, its just mind boggling how stupid a move this has been, and nothing but crickets from support and the developers, they knew they did this, it was done on purpose, they have people on their team who use Arrow keys and Keypad mapping, not to mention every left handed person. FIX THIS CRAP ASAP, Like by tomorrow! otherwise its just a huge failure and you will see tens of thousands of people getting refunds and dumping this game just like every other game that left out proper key binding
I'm totally with you , left handed here too.
It's a shame and total rip-off.
CD Project to do such a lazy and greedy thing, you fell down real bad from where you use to stand.
I bbought the game months earlier based on trust they weren't like the typical console port trash company...should have known better.
Damn, what a utter shame

To edit the hotkeys you will have to edit config files by hand as all hotkeys are listed in the various config files.

Here's my settings (downloadable until 12/18/2020):
https://filebin.net/thqktziqdvyl1aza/Cyberpunk_2077_fixed.zip

I changed a few things:
  • No more double tap direction to dodge
  • Must press the dodge key and a direction key to dodge
  • Tilde is weapon switcher
  • Mouse4 is dodge
  • Mouse5 is Inventory Menu
  • Caps is toggle crouch
  • Tab is toggle scanner
  • F12 is camera
  • ALT is unbound
  • C is unbound
  • LControl in unbound
  • RControl is crouch hold

There are two config locations:
  • The keybinds you can change via the UI are found in <user>\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\UserSettings.json
  • The default game binds are <game>\r6\config\inputUserMappings.xml
See https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077

Here's the process to edit a keybind:
  1. Try the in-game UI keybinds
  2. If you want to use a key that is not mapped, use the new key in the UI keybinds (ie: bind your side-mouse buttons to anything)
  3. open UserSettings.json - find the bind you created and note the name of the key (ie: IK_Mouse4)
  4. open inputUserMappings.xml - find the keybind to change - add the new bind
  5. save inputUserMappings.xml - exit to the main menu & reload your save
Feel free to look through inputUserMappings.xml - some keys are mapped to multiple binds. ie: IK_Alt - which is in UserSettings.json as switch weapon, but it's also in inputUserMappings.xml - if you attempt to bind something in inputUserMappings.xml to IK_Alt and you also remove all other references to IK_Alt in that same file, it won't work until you unbind it in UserSettings.json (or the UI).

The overridableUI setting, means that setting can be changed in the UI Keybinds. I believe this means it's possible to edit controller binds in the UI. UserSettings.json mentions a default keybind, I'm think that has something todo with overridableUI setting

If UserSettings.json is deleted, it's re-created on game start
Any deleted files in the game directory however (including inputUserMappings.xml), if deleted must be restored via a game verify
Thanks a lot mate but let's admit it.
It is totally unacceptable in this day and age to go through such a lenght in order to perform the most basic PC gameplay feature.
We're talking probably about a 2 man/day workload for their tech team to implement it outright...hell, it's probably way less.

It sadly is for a lefty

Last edited:
Thanks a lot mate but let's admit it.
It is totally unacceptable in this day and age to go through such a lenght in order to perform the most basic PC gameplay feature.
We're talking probably about a 2 man/day workload for their tech team to implement it outright...hell, it's probably way less.
For sure. The sad part is they did the same thing with Witcher 3 and it took them 6 months to add all the keybinds for that game.

I spent more time on release day modding this game than playing it. I paid for a game, modding was fun, but not that fun and for sure not the game I payed for. There's a ton of undocumented things in those config files and I must've reloaded my save over 40 times testing wtf some of them do. We, as a community, could easily create a 3rd party UI to edit those config files, but there's still commands in there that I don't understand and I'm not about to spend more time figuring it out.

I start by giving all games a 10, then subtract points from there. After I finished modding it, this game was at a 9/10 before I even left my house for the first time. The glitches and bugs bring it down to a 8.5/10 and that's probably where it will remain. Sad cause that means it could've been as much as a 9.5/10 for me if they just added all keybinds to the UI, but now I can only recommend the game to console gamers or PC modders/devs.

Lefty here as well. Left hand on mouse, right hand of keypad.
For me the biggest issue is the F key. It makes it impossible to properly grab a hold of an enemy, especially if I have to do it quickly.
I probably would've put it under something like the keypad-enter key but you can't even map that one for other things, like exiting a vehicle.

Some strange choices made by CDPR.

Maybe there aren't any lefthanded people in Poland? :p

But it does take a lot of the shine off the game.

HWG

Forum regular
Many of these things can be resolved by editing the UserInputMapping.xml, hopefully this can be resolved with a future patch.

Top Bottom