Key Remapping

+
I have put in a GOG refund request, they said 12~24hours response time, but I highly doubt that will be the case. More like 72~128hours with how popular and hyped this game is.

I was very surprised on Steam, its was only about 35 minutes.
Theyve probably got a dedicated team setup for all the disappointment. Called all their extra staff in.

I'm left-handed and use OLK; and those are hard-coded to something else. I can't believe this is an issue. Hundreds of other games played over two decades and this is the first time I've seen this. So disappointed I can't play the game. I'll be contacting Steam about a refund until I see this issue is resolved.

A note regarding the suggestions about editing the game's config file to fix the issue: it is advised against by CDPR.

check the inputUserMappings.xml inside the Cyberpunk 2077/r6/config directory, i literally changed all IK_F and IK_R to my 2 preferred buttons, no issues so far (setting the file to read only may be required tho).
Works well, and it updates the UI as well. Wasn't overwritten on launch so RO may not be necessary. Might be prudent to do the equivalent in '%localappdata\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\UserSettings.json' so there isn't a mismatch.

A note regarding the suggestions about editing the game's config file to fix the issue: it is advised against by CDPR.

Perhaps they should fix it themselves rather than issuing useless advice then.

That aside, even with editing the movement keys, there is still the proble with the 'F' key which is so frustrating. Having to reach over to it for most things. Looting is a pain in the arse.

What´s going on with the Keybindings from WASD to the arrows keys ?
"Bind failed" ... :(
This should have been basics in the very first round of development and yet here I am, unable to assign new keybindings.
Did it never occur to you, that not everybody worldwide likes to play with WASD ?

Thanks for the help (Played 2,5 minutes so far from CP2077 *sigh*)

Hope they actually fix things , like really fix the hardcore broken things and don't rest on the $ already made.
I can wait another year, but please for the love of god can they devote their schedule ahead to getting the game out of whatever beta state its currently in.

Cheers for all the moderator's efforts in dealing with the mess.

Just the same as a lot of people I'm left handed I'm used to play with the arrows, right control to crouch, right shift to run, 0 numpad to interact and so on for some reason I can't associate up and down arrows keys.

On top of that I have the main mouse button changed to right in Windows settings, but for some reasons it doesn't carry into the game I can switch the clicks for gameplay but it remains the wrong click in all the menus.

Just the same as a lot of people I'm left handed I'm used to play with the arrows, right control to crouch, right shift to run, 0 numpad to interact and so on for some reason I can't associate up and down arrows keys.

On top of that I have the main mouse button changed to right in Windows settings, but for some reasons it doesn't carry into the game I can switch the clicks for gameplay but it remains the wrong click in all the menus.

I had this issue with League of Legends and had to do a mess with the .json config and the windows mouse config when i bought a left hander mouse. I now use an ambidextrous mouse and the problem is gone. I guess gaming is not for left hander xD.

GL HF with that problem :D

So I only skimmed the topic but as a few people have mentioned the config file under your cyberpunk2077/r6/config/inputUserMappings.xml can change the reserved keys. I personally use ESDF for movement like a few other people and I always change the confirm / action key (F) to A. I went in and changed every instance of IK_F to IK_A. (Be careful and do not use find and replace all features as you will end up changing IK_F5 or IK_F10 bindings as well) That was the only change I made manually to the file. Then I went into the game and utilized the default keymapping process to adjust my movement keys. The F key was no longer locked out as reserved as well. This has worked great so far for me and until they issue a patch for the keybindings I think it will be the best and only solution.

Also it has been a weird deal that after all this time of PC gaming that some games won't let you remap your keys at all or like Cyberpunk some keys and functions can't be remapped. Why ignore this common feature or limit it like this.

Well, until they sort a fix where we can bind whatever key we want to whatever action we use, I don't care what CDPR says

After 7 years of development, if I was a project manager in CDPR I'd be looking for [the person responsible].

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have found a temp fix for this.
I edited the ini file and made it read only, that worked (so far).
UserSettings.json can be found here %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077
Open with Notepad++ or text editor.
Look for the "SettingsLocomotion" part of it...

The same thing I had to do back in the Witcher 3...
Why again?!

Тоже самое мне приходилось делать еще в Ведьмак 3...
Ну почему опять ?!

Having an issue with my keymapping where I use F as a part of movement and can't seem to rebind it.

Upon reading further it seems as though the following keys are not able to be bound:

F, I, J, K, L, O and P

This is essential for some as not everyone is right handed and will be a barrier to playing the game. Others who use non-standard keybinds will also suffer from this and have a less enjoyable experience.

Binding Failed.PNG

Kind Regards,
Ksciver

Last edited:
Another left-handed here. Normal adjusting key bindings for movement to IKJL. How can this be a AAA title is just basic stuff like this is not working? At least add a left-handed mapping to the gaming if you do not want people to rebind keys. There are also disabled people for who this maybe a bigger problem. WASD is not working when playing left-handed.

Luckily, I have also a game controller, but aiming with a game controller is not my thing.

Do not call this a AAA title if you are not even capable to do some basic keyboard stuff. Stop doing the fancy stuff if you cannot even do the most basic things.

Yeah, gonna chime in here with agreement. Being able to customize your key binds is essential to a having a more fluid experience. Note of point, you should be able to assign multiple functions to one key. For example, entering and exiting your vehicle can be tied to one and not two keys.

Top Bottom