Key Remapping

+
During the game my fight is with the keys, ( yes you "F..." key) not very immersive.
Once you remap controls with arrow keys (left handed here) you are F..... with the F... key
The funny thing is sometimes you can use "enter" instead (dialog) but not always (sneak grab) why?!!!!
Is this key mapping a bug or is it anti-ergonomic on purpose?

Is there anywhere we can report directly to the devs so that they're aware of this issue? Or at least can we get this topic pinned?

Most menu shortcuts are overrated.

The problem isn't really not being able to use the menu shortcuts. The issue is that some menu shortcuts block a key from being used for anything else. On Qwerty, this isn't such a big deal because most of the menu shortcut keys aren't keys you'd want to use for gameplay anyways (with a few major exceptions). On Dvorak, however, I literally can't back up, because my O key is in the same place as a Qwerty user's S key. If I try to force O to the binding I want in the JSON file, it will still open the menu every time I back up.

I hope this problem will have a solution, i use arrow keys in FPS since i have my first PC in the 90s ! For the moment, i mapped my movements with num pad (5,1,2 & 3) but my character moves like an old lady ^^ i tried the RV program in the game (after first failed mission) and it's a massive catastrophy !
I am the same boat. I have been using the arrow keys since the 1990s. I can't play this game right now.

You can't even remap the F key to a mouse button. Or have a mouse button as a secondary key for F.

This is just sad.

I used to get angry when I'd occasionally find a game on the ZX Spectrum which didn't allow you to fully remap keys back in 1985 on games in 48k of RAM and loaded off a tape yet almost all of them did still allow it. To still have that issue now in 2020 is just bonkers and frankly beyond belief. It's just such basic stuff.

Why MUST F be used for certain things, but other keys can be changed? How did actual competent adults have that conversation between themselves and come to the decision that this was the best way forwards, that there was some kind of benefit to either CDPR or the customer which meant F would ONLY work and that any other choice would just be unwise?

No part of me can even imagine how that conversation proceeded because every time I attempt to play it through in my head it has a different outcome to the one we see here. I cannot logically arrive at this destination no matter how I try, yet here we are.

Seriously, fix it. Please.

Last edited:
It´s unbelievable, any QA Test/Check should have shown this instantly.
Either CDPR needs a better QA or the official Beta has just started today.
CDPR was is known for very solid & mostly bugfree releases - please go back to that point.
Keybindings are a NONO big deal breaker, a game that can´t be controlled like the players want or needed to, is basically useless.
(Sorry for the rant, but I´m hyped for CP2077 and I needed to vent my frustration)

You sir, are a legend.

Keeps telling me about a corrupt file when I try to save ingame changes, but I can live with that.

I still have to move my hand to the other side of the keyboard to open/use because of the stupid 'F' key, but will just have to tolerate that I guess as bad game design.
If you open the "InputerUserMappings.xml" with notepadd++, you can find-replace all instances of IK_F with your preferred key. The file is found in the install directory folders Cyberpunk2077>r6>config
If you're looking for a specific key name notepad++ can give suggestions as you type. Example: IK_E gives E, Enter, End, and so forth. Be careful not to override the Function binds (IK_F5 etc)
Post automatically merged:

This worked for me ..

I can't say I'm all that surprised the game has been released with problems attached to it .. I almost considered the game unplayable for me too .. I'm also a Left handed player who has used the Arrow Keys for movement for over 20 years of gaming .. but, it does surprise me that a game which has been in development for over 7 years by a developer with a good reputation who should know better than to ignore or overlook such a basic functional mechanic of PC user interaction.

So, with just a little bit of manual fiddling about, follow the instructions above exactly you should bind/rebind any key you like.

I haven't tested the F 'Interaction' key yet .. I tend to use End for this action, so, I'll see how I go.
That's the key I use. If you open the InputUserMappings.xml in the install folder (Cyberpunk2077>r6>config) with notepad++ and find-replace all instances of IK_F with IK_End it works great. Be careful not to override the Function binds (IK_F5 etc)

Last edited:
A note regarding the suggestions about editing the game's config file to fix the issue: it is advised against by CDPR.

Umm, yeah obviously this will be against CDPR advice, but what else can players do? I know you are just doing your job but the fact this is basically all we have from CDPR on the matter is shameful. At least Ubisoft were open and transparent about give us a few days and it will be improved and it has, CDPR have been totally silent other than saying "workaround bad kappa" so can a moderator please run this up the chain. I know the forums are not ran by the devs. But to use the official banner and being a named contact place on site, we should get to hear from them especially given how keep they were for feedback. CDPR need to make the game playable before they focus on DLC.

Going to assume from all the feedback by now that the Devs are aware of this. I wouldn't recommend telling people to alter their files. That just invites more trouble especially for people who don't know what they are doing.

A few tips if you're going to edit the $GAME_INSTALL/r6/config/inputUserMappings.xml file (tested on VSCode, should work for most other code editors with decent find-and-replace):
  • Use your editor's "full word" option for find and replace . This will prevent you accidentally changing stuff like "IK_End" when you meant to change "IK_E". If your editor does not support this, include the quote characters in the query.
  • If you're going to be remapping a lot of keys, don't just go straight from the original mappings to the new mappings. If you do this, you might accidentally rebind some of the mappings you just edited. For e.g. if you want to take everything that was on Q and bind it to F, and everything that was on F and bind it to G. If you did those find-and-replaces in order, you'd end up with everything on G. Instead, first do a regex find-and-replace to change every letter-key to something distinctive. If you really want to save time, and know you'll be remapping the majority of your keys, you could do (this may be VSCode specific) find: IK_([A-Z]) replace: IK_old_keybind_$1. Then, switch all the keys containing "old_keybind" to the new key you want. You know you're done when there's no more "old_keybind" strings in your file.
  • MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR XML FILE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.
Note that CDPR specifically recommended against editing this file. XML is much less intuitive than JSON. If you aren't used to screwing with your config files, I highly recommend just waiting for the patch, or only editing the JSON file.

EDIT: Didn't realize this forum uses BBCode instead of Markdown for formatting inline code.

Hi,
Amazing game !! Just I can't fight at all with all guns / rifles. On AZERTY keyboard, Q is for left.
So while I fire with my gun / rifles and try at the same time to go left, it trigger a melee attack it seems we can't re-assign in the options.
Where can it be defined that fire weapon melee attack could be re-assigned to another key such as A ?

Thanks for your help.
Julien

Top Bottom