Key Remapping

+
I would like to be able to change controller button layout - in particular, changing melee with crouch. Very surprised the PC version doesn't allow controller button layout reconfiguring without messing with file settings etc.

Please consider adding different controller button schemes to the game, for example being able to use the right analog click for crouching and moving melee to B.

I'm just going to post this as I don't have the time to read through this thread

How to change key bindings:

There are two configuration files you need to edit.

...\Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config\inputUserMappings.xml
...\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\UserSettings.json

I recommend opening these two files with Notepad++

Make sure you backup these two files before you edit them.

The file UserSettings.json contains all the key binds you would find in the game's settings menu. You can assign whichever key you want. Only change the key under "value" not "default value."

The key or mouse button must be in quotes and prefixed with IK_

Aside from the number keys and letters, some keys require the word name for the character on the key.

Such as:

Up
Down
Left
Right
Enter
Delete
End
Home
PageDown
PageUp
RShift
RControl
RightBracket
LeftBracket
Backspace
NumPad0...NumPad9
NumPeriod
Mouse4
Mouse5

Now lets take a look at inputUserMappings.xml

Entries (with a few exceptions, see below) in this file that contains the variable "overridableUI=" is found in UserSettings.json.

In other words, the key for each action listed in inputUserMappings.xml will be overridden by the key for that action found in UserSettings.json

Now there are a few entries in inputUserMappings.xml that contain an "overridableUI="
that is not found in UserSettings.json (don't try to add these to UserSettings.json), such as:

(Do not change these entries to match what is listed below, I edited these for the sake of space. Also, I copied these entries from the file I edited, so the keys won't match the defaults.)

<mapping name="CancelCharging_Button" type="Button">
<button id="IK_Delete" overridableUI="cancelCharge"/>
</mapping>

<mapping name="ApplyAndCloseQHackWidget" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_End" overridableUI="selectChoice"/>
</mapping>

<mapping name="PickUpBodyFromTakedown_Button" type="Button">
<button id="IK_End" overridableUI="dropCarriedObject"/>
</mapping>

<mapping name="BodyDrop_Button" type="Button">
<button id="IK_End" overridableUI="dropCarriedObject"/>
</mapping>

<mapping name="UI_MoveUp" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_Up" overridableUI="selectUpSecondary"/>
</mapping>

<mapping name="UI_MoveDown" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_Down" overridableUI="selectDownSecondary"/>
</mapping>

<mapping name="Apply_Button" type="Button" SIEJADependent="true" >
<button id="IK_End" overridableUI="selectChoice"/>
</mapping>

<mapping name="Cancel_Button" type="Button" SIEJADependent="true" >
<button id="IK_Delete" overridableUI="cancelSelection"/>

</mapping>
<mapping name="ExitWheel_Button" type="Button" SIEJADependent="true" >
<button id="IK_RightMouse" overridableUI="exitRadial"/>

</mapping>
<mapping name="SelectWheelItem_Button" type="Button" SIEJADependent="true" >
<button id="IK_LeftMouse" overridableUI="selectInRadial"/>

</mapping>
<mapping name="StopDeviceControl_Button" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_Delete" overridableUI="stopDeviceControl"/>

<mapping name="Choice1" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_NumPad1" overridableUI="choice1"/>

<mapping name="Choice2" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_NumPad2" overridableUI="choice2"/>

<mapping name="Choice3" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_NumPad3" overridableUI="choice3"/>

<mapping name="Choice4" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_NumPad4" overridableUI="choice4"/>

The "overridableUI=" for these actions are not found in the UserSettings.json. So whichever key you change them to will be the key the game will use.

It is worth noting that whichever keys are assigned to the last four; Choice1 thru Choice4, will be the key you will be prompted to press to perform most actions (the "Use" or "Action" key as it is in most other games in this genre).

Last edited:
I completely agree we need this. Of course cars and people glitching out is more important, but unlimited key binding access should be as standard as the option screen itself.

In my case I've been using the same keyboard setup for 20 years. I use the entire NUMBpad for movement and internation, and pinky and ring finger to operate the rest of what I can reach. I've never used WASD once in my life. lol
We should be able to bind ANY button to ANY other button (with the exception of your ESC button for the menu).
Please let us rebind ALL the keys... especially F.
THANK YOU CDPR for all your hard work. I just wanted to add this to the forum to back up everyone else.

The recent patch doesn't address rebinding. Bloody 'ell...

Update 1.04
Quests

1. Fixed an issue with completing the final objective in Gig: Freedom of the Press.
  2. Fixed an issue with starting conversation with Johnny at the end in Life During Wartime.
  3. Corrected a rare issue with NPCs no longer calling V if A Like Supreme quest was abandoned mid-way.
  4. Fixed an issue with Nix not going into his default state in Spellbound and KOLD MIRAGE.
  5. Fixed issues blocking progress in I Fought The Law if the quest area is left.
  6. Fixed inability to find Delamain in Epistrophy.
  7. Fixed issues related to remaining in the second phase of the quest after finishing Pacifica fight with Ozob if played after Finals.
  8. Fixed an issue with Nomads no longer present if V leaves the quest area mid-combat in With a Little Help from My Friends/Queen of the Highway.
  9. Adjusted mappings and re-enabled quest tracker in M’ap Tann Pèlen/I Walk the Line/Transmission.
  10. Fixed constraints on freedom to get up and sit down if neither blueline condition is met in Violence.
  11. Fixed issues with time and space resulting from leaving the quest area or abandoning the quest in Following the River.
  12. Fixed an issue with conversation with Johnny not starting after leaving the hotel in Tapeworm.
  13. Fixed an issue with quest being blocked upon leaving the quest area before climbing the hill in Following the River.
  14. Fixed the objective "Go into booth 9" not completing if the room’s entered too fast in Automatic Love.
  15. Fixed Jackie’s issues with sitting still in The Ripperdoc.
Other quest fixes
Gameplay

1. Fixed the preview in weapon crafting.
Visual

1. Reduced vehicle appearance pop-in.
  2. Speeded up switching first person perspective to third person perspective in a vehicle.
  3. Fixed issues with animations missing from important quest NPCs during cinematics.
Performance & Stability

1. Improved stability, including various crash fixes.
Miscellaneous

1. Modified the flashing effect on braindances to reduce the risk of inducing epileptic symptoms. The effect has been smoothed out and the flashes reduced in frequency and magnitude.
  2. Removed copyrighted songs incorrectly present in the game with "Disable Copyrighted Music" feature toggled on.
PC-specific

1. Switching language to default in the in-game settings now correctly sets it to the language of your Steam client.
Console-specific

1. Improved reflections quality on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to eliminate the smudge effect.
  2. Fixed "The Wasteland" achievement being stuck on 97% after completing all relevant missions in The Badlands on Xbox.
  3. Fixed an issue with missing PT-BR VO for Xbox players in Americas

I did indeed figure out how to change Inventory open to mouse5. My only problem is you can't use mouse4 button to close the inventory screen again, it will only open it. Seems like a massive oversight by CDPR and I hope they fix it. Maybe for now I'll just create a custom mouse profile using Razer's software to change Mouse5 or Mouse4 button to the i/inventory key so I can open and close using the same key. This seems like an easier solution if you have mouse button editing software for the time being. It seems that Inventory screen and Open Inventory are two separate key bindings (I and O keys respectively) so you can change the O key binding but you cannot change the I key from what I've found.

I typed up my methods in a post on page 17.
In inputUserMappings.xml find OpenHubMenu_Button. In the line below <button id = "IK_I" /> put your key. I have a tilde here. Now for me this button opens the menu and closes everything (map, inventory, journal, etc.).

I'm in a very similar situation to you guys. I'm an old-school gamer that uses ESCF to move instead of WASD, and I always use D for my use/interact. I even went so far to try to do a key assignment swapper, and it doesn't work in the game, and I do not feel like changing the registry (and reboot) to change 2 keys every time I play. I'm just baffled that in 2020 from a studio that made phenomenal games in the past that they couldn't manage to code this in. And why F of all keys? My understanding is that E is the traditional WASD interact button. Just... hard to grab. And it's ruining my gameplay experience. I've got 30 years of muscle memory to strafe right with F, and here I am trying to jank with the D key, making fights that much harder. SMH

This better be addressed in the FIRST PATCH. I use ESDF, this is absolutely retarded. This and the insane red interface are my only problems with this game. Other than that, it is truly epic

I would like to be able to change controller button layout - in particular, changing melee with crouch. Very surprised the PC version doesn't allow controller button layout reconfiguring without messing with file settings etc.
This is something I desperately need! I hate not being able to aim and control my crouching at the same time. Really don't know why they haven't added this.

On the PS4 version playing on PS5.

Truly need a dedicated button for dodging.
I have "dodged" myself off of buildings multiple times now, while attempting to tippytoe on the edge or around an item.

key hacks have not worked for me - game says files are corrupted - so sadly, the game remains unplayable, which is a pity as it looks great. thought today's patch would address this, but no, so i've reluctantly submitted a refund request. will gladly repurchase whenever this issue is addressed by CDPR...

key hacks have not worked for me - game says files are corrupted - so sadly, the game remains unplayable, which is a pity as it looks great. thought today's patch would address this, but no, so i've reluctantly submitted a refund request. will gladly repurchase whenever this issue is addressed by CDPR...

It did that with me for a while, but I was continuing to fiddle with the settings in game and applying them and eventually it stopped. I did however alter both user key map files which are stated earlier in this thread. The process does work, give it another shot.

Top Bottom