Key Remapping

+
How to remap the keresnikov ability? aka bullettime? cant find a specific key for remapping in the menu

Do CDPR read or respond to these forums? Just wondering if it's even worth the time to keep the thread going. I've had the game sitting on the shelf for months hoping they'd finally get full key remapping (along with other fixes) and it's still not here. Pretty frustrating.

If you guys do read these, could you respond CDPR?

Do CDPR read or respond to these forums? Just wondering if it's even worth the time to keep the thread going. I've had the game sitting on the shelf for months hoping they'd finally get full key remapping (along with other fixes) and it's still not here. Pretty frustrating.

If you guys do read these, could you respond CDPR?

Yeah, I've had the game since Christmas of last year and I've only been on there a couple of times just to see if this keybind issue was resolved, surprise, it hasn't been.

Again, this issue shouldn't be that hard. Most indie developers get keybinding right even in early access. A multimillion dollar company like CDPR shouldn't have this issue. It's been almost a year since the game was released.

controller re-mapping would be great as well...I'm left handed and prefer to use the left trigger to shoot

Usable controls for all people should be number one priority for every application right after showing output on the screen.

This is unplayable for some handicapped and left handed people and extremly awkward for players with ESDF, numpad, cursor or other alternative control schemes. Even WASD players that want the damn F-key somewhere else, maybe on some extra mouse button or an other keyboard key, would appreciate the possibility to change all mappings.

Please add a free configurable control scheme to the next version. At the very least let us remap the function key to something other than F.

For what it's worth, the old method of editing the inputUserMappings.xml file now works again. It had stopped working at one point with one of their updates, but I was able to rebind all keys that I needed to (including F, which is crucial for an ESDF player), so at least the game is playable.

I still hope they'll add full key rebinding in-game and really can't understand why it isn't there yet after 7+ months, but thought I'd pass this along.

Last edited:
I use a weird control scheme, esdf instead of wasd. I can't bind any keys to F other than exit vehicle. I always get an error saying there is an error binding to that key. I saw there isn't a choice the confirm key which is by default set to F so I'm guessing that is the issue.
I just want to thank you for bringing this issue up. I literally created this account to address this very issue.

Now, to all you [...] wasd users, it is time to break free and CONVERT to ESDF. It is a far superior binding, and frees up multiple keys for your pinky finger.. not to mention no longer needing the CAPS key. Time to Level Up guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this game is approaching 8 months since release and it is still not possible to use RDFG for movement.

This is similar to ESDF, but with more keys available to the pinky, which I use in every game i play (RDFG).

I am absolutely stunned at the rigidity of the keybindings. Half Life from 1998 (23 years ago) had 100% customizable keybindings. This is beyond being a mis-step or an 'oops.' This is a horse with blinders on.

At this point, I do wish that I could get my money back - I would in a heartbeat and never talk about this game again.

Some keybinds should be more consistent (#musclememory) and more sensitive about the player focus.

Example1: Consistency of the action "BACK/LEAVE"

- Enter/Exit the Game Menu is ESC (hardcoded)
- Message popups which you enter with C you can leave with ESC, but you can also leave with C, but not with BACKSPACE
- Computer terminals which you enter with F (long press) you can leave with C or BACKSPACE, but it doesn't work with ESC
- Going back one level in the main menu (inventory, journal, character screen, etc) is ESC (hardcoded), but it doesn't work with C or BACKSPACE

Example2: Consistency of the action "DROP"
- Picking up a corpse is R (long press)
- If you want to drop it in a box it is F
- if you want to drop it on the floor is E, but even when there is no box to drop it.

Example3: Consistency of the action "PREVIOUS/NEXT"
- Previous and Next is by default bound to A and D, or Q and E, or 1 and 3.
- Except changing channels of radios in the open world to previous and next - they are bound to 1 and 2 instead of 3.

Why? It's totally counter-intuitive!
Please be more consistent with your default keybinding choices and allow to rebind keys that have the same functionality using the same keys.

Last edited:
Wow, have they still not sorted the key bindings yet?

Get a macro keyboard, it's the only hope for us "non wasd gamers". I've had all the controls remapped since launch!

I can't believe the claim that the devs read these forums as they clearly haven't read any of the threads regarding our struggle for re-definable controls!

I can't help but feel that they just need another level of symbolic redirection. OK have multiple functions bound to one symbol but have that rebindable to another key. And allow the exact function of each symbol be defined in the inputs xml file.

For some reason when I enter computer terminals I can't exit them because the EXIT button doesn't exist and I have no idea what to do about it... it makes me unable to continue playing.

Cyberpunk2077_oQAy7KLnO6.jpg

For some reason when I enter computer terminals I can't exit them because the EXIT button doesn't exist and I have no idea what to do about it... it makes me unable to continue playing.

View attachment 11246956
You could try to use C ? Maybe it's that, not tested myself.
Now that you mention it, I usually use the Escape-key to get out from the computer. Wasm't anything on the computer-screen to get out, so I tried random keys, and the solution was the c-key to jump out. It should be a prompt at the bottom to say "Press 'C' to exit" or something. So, spread the word that the 'C'-key works. Should have thought about it earlier, but it never crossed my mind.

Edit. This also works for keypads for opening doors.

[...] Get a macro keyboard,[...]
It might solve WASD to ESDF mapping, but the problem with missing key consistency is not solved using a macro keyboard, since some key's are just not re-definable separately. Reload is R for example, which is definable, but if you put it on another key, it doesn't change the R for Pickup Corpse. Then there are actually 4 contextual keys: F, R, 1 and 2, which are used in the open world, but only the primary interaction key F is shown in the Keyboard settings menu. So if you want to have the open world Radio channel switching on 1 and 3 and the other contextual keys remapped, you need to edit the JSON file, but that will also change other keybinds with it, that are hardcoded to use the same key triggers. There is too few flexibility to change different keybindings separately.

sshot-1.jpgsshot-2.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 11246956
Maybe you could try that. I hope it will fix your problem :)

Top Bottom