Keyboard and Mouse Driving needs refinement

+
Driving in this game without a controller is very binary. You press the button, and it's instant 100%. Turning is very clunky, and it's either accelerate to full speed, or braking.

Problem is, I'm not sure if there is a way to better implement a better driving system in first person. My best answer would only work in 3rd person, and that's to emulate the halo-style driving system where the vehicle turns to match the camera direction. For speed control, since the mouse wheel doesn't do anything in the car, maybe make that your accelerator (0-100%, kind of like the flight simulators or mechwarrior).

Turning just feels off when going fast, because it's like your yanking the steering wheel. Some games offer a 'fine' movement mode, where it reduces the amount of force when pressing the key to simulate a 'finer' movement. Maybe shift-clicking A or D could make the game do a 'half' or 'quarter' movement so that it doesn't feel like you're ripping the steering wheel around?

Another thing, the mini-map... when you're going 180mph, that map is waaaaay to small. Best solution I can devise is that the map zooms out in context to how fast you're going. It's fine for anything below 60 mph, but once you're above that, you can't brake fast enough to make a turn. My answer is to open the game map, analyze the route, and adjust accordingly.

Motorcycles are overpowered, by the way. I crashed into a car and sent THE CAR flying. It's not that I don't mind being the cool-aide man on a motorbike...

i didn't know someone allready made a post about it, i just now made one myself even tho it's less detailed as yours haha.
I totally agree with you tho!

We really need a nice middle ground for keyboard and mouse controls for driving.

I also hate to have to fight for the camera while driving in 3rd person view.

Please, pretty please give me an option to deactivate that camera-auto-centering on keyboard & mouse.

(Though i would prefer to drive in 1st person, but the situational awareness is just too bad. I guess I've become spoiled by vr-driving games :shrug: )

Brakes felt fine for me, though. Makes the car feel "weighty"

I fully agree. No I will not buy a bloody controller. I am playing this on a PC for a reason and would truly appreciate a proper mouse and keyboard implementation for driving. Acceleration is either 100% or nothing. Steering is clunky and horrible. This makes the Mass Effect controls everyone hated look like a dream. This is unplayable like this for me. If at least the car could be controlled by the mouse, instead of forcing us to use the WASD keys to steer and then having this odd lag in it.

Here are my comments.

The cars DO NOT steer realistically!! Imagine a vertical metal rod straight down through the middle of the car. When you turn the car to the right (D), the car just rotates clockwise around the axis of this metal rod. Another way to visualize this: When you turn right, the front wheel are angled to the right like this ( / / ). At the same time, the rear wheels are angled to the LEFT like this ( \ \ ). So the front of the car goes right and the rear goes left. That is NOTHING like real world car physics!!! It's no wonder that the car handling is so awful. Maybe they think all cars will have 4 wheel active steering in 2077. No body who is used to driving a car in 2020 would be able to drive something with 4 wheel active steering. It sort of reminds me of what it was like to drive a military bomb loader. It's a small, low vehicle (maybe 8-10 feet long and 3-4 feet wide) It's only a few feet tall and IT HAS REAR WHEEL STEERING!!! Talk about something hard to get used to... They really need to learn something about real world car physics and steering geometry.

Report Edit

Top Bottom