Keyboard doesnt react in witcher 3 anymore please HELP

+
Merging your post in with an ongoing issue. (Keeping the dream alive.) See the thread above for possible solutions.

I'm not a comodo user and made no changes to the Windows 10 firewall settings between my update from 1.30 to 1.31. I just tried to turn off the firewall for testing purposes, and, after rebooting, the keyboard problem still recurs. I don't think this is it.

Turned off windows defender and firewall to test. It doesn't help. Moreover, I went through windows logs. No errors or other unusual application, securities or systems events occur when The Witcher 3 is launched. Just no keyboard access on launch or in game. Again, all other applications seem to be fine, including other Origin games.

OK.. localized and removed the problem. From logging, I saw that the problem seems to be related to two *.dll files left behind from an earlier reshade installation (I had not actually been using reshade).. also mentioned earlier in this thread.. Deleted the dll's and everything was fine. For testing purposes, I then reinstalled the latest version (3.0.2) of Reshade and sure enough, the problem recurred, and disappeared again when I removed reshade's CGXI.dll (from the new reshade installation). Whatever is going on, Reshade seems to be at the root of it.

Any further troubleshooting thoughts?

OK.. localized and removed the problem. From logging, I saw that the problem seems to be related to two *.dll files left behind from an earlier reshade installation (I had not actually been using reshade).. also mentioned earlier in this thread.. Deleted the dll's and everything was fine. For testing purposes, I then reinstalled the latest version (3.0.2) of Reshade and sure enough, the problem recurred, and disappeared again when I removed reshade's CGXI.dll (from the new reshade installation). Whatever is going on, Reshade seems to be at the root of it.

Any further troubleshooting thoughts?

No... :(

And, unfortunately, Reshade is not the direct cause in general, as we already ruled that out earlier in the thread. Some of the users had never used it. (If that's the cause / fix for you, awesomeness!) But I have no idea what in the bloody world could be doing this. Only that something is intercepting the input / config settings.

I really thought we had it when one user discovered Comodo blocking the .DLL...

View attachment 79110

Attachments

• office-space-printer-o.jpg
    office-space-printer-o.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I was guessing that come from security issue and still guessing this is the way to solve it !
I get the same issue as mentionned in the whole post with WWH3 on W7-64 with Comodo CIS.

I saw the Hips config and put all the WWH3 in the exceptions part but unsuccessfull for now...
When keyboard is listen by an app that may cause security issue, but for now I don't know from where it come, if it's not Comodo must be Windows !

Moderator necro!

(Deep chanting. Indian beads and chicken bones flying all over the place. And so on...)

Can everyone suffering from the non-responsive keyboard, provided anyone is still looking, try lowering their mouse polling rate to 125 MHz. If that works, incrementally raise the rate by 25 MHz and post the results.

Last edited:
Marco105;n7325370 said:
I have currently remove comodo and my keyboard response back !

Glad that works for some! But we have others that don't have Comodo and still seem to suffer from this. I will remain here, to do what can be done... You, however...you will be sent forth into the war-torn realms of Velen. Do not look back...

(Makes a strange sign with his hands and turns away.)

...:p

I was having an issue with the space bar not responding when first starting the game.
I was running Win 10, Witcher version 1.31, in my case it seemed that there was a conflict with the X-Box app in Win 10. I turned off the Game DVR function and now everything is back to normal. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I thought I would put it here just in case it might help someone else.

Hey guys, Ive just come across this issue tonight and thought I would tell you my solution. First I deleted the 3 settings files in your Documents Witcher 3 folder. They are called 'input.settings' 'user.settings' and user.settings.bak

Then I deleted the 'xinput1_3.dll' file in the install folder (the witcher 3> bin>x64)

Finally I verified the integrity of the game cache through steam and all the controlls are back working for me.

Just for clarity I am on windows 10 and I could not use either the keyboard and mouse or an xbox elite controller until I took the above steps. My game had been working fine from purchase 2 weeks ago until this evening.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Thanks for the input, bigl1cks! Can I ask you:

1.) Are you usiing GOG, Steam, or Origin? If GOG, are you using Galaxy?

2.) Did you install or change anything (tweaks, mods, etc.) before the problem occurred?

3.) Did you update or install any new programs before the problem occurred? Windows Update, new drivers, new peripherals, etc.

4.) Whether yes or no the above, can you remember when (what part of the game) the problem first appeared?

SigilFey

Hi

To answer your questions -

im using steam and always launch from steam

no changes at all. My game is completely vanilla

windows 10 had just downloaded an update but it hadn't installed when I first had the issue. I had bought a new headset (Logitech g933) a week before but had been playing the game with no issues for a few days using that headset.

the issue happened during the 'get junior' quest I believe. I had just been in the house where sigi reuvan brings triss to the house where you find the hidden door using the wine bottle. I saved just outside that house and when I reloaded the next day no controls would work until I took the steps I suggested above.

Hope the above makes sense and let me know if you need more info.

Not for now...but...

...Get Junior, again. Man, that quest's name pops up too regularly in gameplay issue threads. Plus, this is the second time I've dealt with the hidden door section not functioning recently. Might be nothing. However, seeing as this issue apparently has no rhyme or reason:

Anyone else remember the problem first occurring during Get Junior?

SadWitcher
repairme
​​​DarkWitcher18
althrian

Old thread but, i recently had this same issue and figured out a solution for me so i thought i would post.

Similar to an earlier poster who said disabling the Xbox game DVR, i tried to disable the Nvidia instant replay (or shadow play w/e) and now my keyboard is working again just fine.
You can hit alt + Z and bring up the menu. disabling that is the only change i needed to use my keyboard again.

SadWitcher
repairme
DarkWitcher18
althrian

(Glances about furtively. Pulls out a bag of bone dust and some Cheerios. Burns some incense. Incants a strange spell. Glow-y lights and stuff. The thread stirs and rises from its deathly slumber.)

In the ongoing battle against this weird issue, and courtesy of RidiculousName, see if this has any effect:

IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime =0.2

Change the value to 0.001.

Edit input.settings. There are supposedly multiple lines throughout the file, so be sure to change them all.

(Holds breath.)

I just upgraded from windows 7 to 10 version 10.0.17763 1809. GOG 1.31 was fine in 7, now I am having this same issue; BOTH my keyboard and mouse are not accessible in game. Works fine at the main menu and escape menu in game (alt tab brings it up) but not live in game. I reinstalled the game and it persisted. I have done another dist-upgrade and it persisted. Disabled defender & exploit protections, DEP & aslr + all the rest, disabled DMA protections, secureboot parameters and other protections under group policy... though I have no secure boot motherboard. I deleted the 3 settings files & 'xinput1_3.dll' file. Removed the only addon I had, a debugger. Reinstalled game after removing addons. Loaded game as admin... removed all saved material on fresh install, no luck there either. Created a batch file, loaded '"witcher.exe" -window' with admin mode, no luck. I do not use nvidia geforce experience, and do not install any driver nor nvidia PhysXbut the primary display driver, i repeat no driver but the primary display driver. I use only windows firewall and windows defender on demand scan. I removed all xbox windows 10 provisioned components via DISM.

I am quite amazed its been 3 years now and nobody has figured this one out. Its a game compatibility issue to be sure, possibly with windows drivers; eveyrthing was working fine in 7.

@SigilFey I looked inside of input.settings and there is only two lines, the line you suggest I add is wiped after loading the game. All assigned keyboard and mouse keys are wiped upon starting the game, resetting key layout to default does not work either, all keys are left empty.

Am using a microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 keybaord & Anker TM137U mouse. No extra HID mouse/keyboard software installed, just default drivers. Windowed & Fullscreen mode break the keybaord and mouse the same.

The game needs a patch

Last edited:
I just upgraded from windows 7 to 10 version 10.0.17763 1809. GOG 1.31 was fine in 7, now I am having this same issue; BOTH my keyboard and mouse are not accessible in game. Works fine at the main menu and escape menu in game (alt tab brings it up) but not live in game. I reinstalled the game and it persisted. I have done another dist-upgrade and it persisted. Disabled defender & exploit protections, DEP & aslr + all the rest, disabled DMA protections, secureboot parameters and other protections under group policy... though I have no secure boot motherboard. I deleted the 3 settings files & 'xinput1_3.dll' file. Removed the only addon I had, a debugger. Reinstalled game after removing addons. Loaded game as admin... removed all saved material on fresh install, no luck there either. Created a batch file, loaded '"witcher.exe" -window' with admin mode, no luck. I do not use nvidia geforce experience, and do not install any driver nor nvidia PhysXbut the primary display driver, i repeat no driver but the primary display driver. I use only windows firewall and windows defender on demand scan. I removed all xbox windows 10 provisioned components via DISM.

I am quite amazed its been 3 years now and nobody has figured this one out. Its a game compatibility issue to be sure, possibly with windows drivers; eveyrthing was working fine in 7.

@SigilFey I looked inside of input.settings and there is only two lines, the line you suggest I add is wiped after loading the game. All assigned keyboard and mouse keys are wiped upon starting the game, resetting key layout to default does not work either, all keys are left empty.

Am using a microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 keybaord & Anker TM137U mouse. No extra HID mouse/keyboard software installed, just default drivers. Windowed & Fullscreen mode break the keybaord and mouse the same.

The game needs a patch

Sorry to hear you ran into this, but it's not an issue with the game directly. Whatever is causing it is down to some very obscure system configuration issue, and aside from what's been listed here as working for some people but not others, I'm afraid I've got no idea what it could be.

Just to ensure the basics are covered:

0.) Using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

1.) Ensure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). Protected directories can wreak havoc with games.

2.) Are you using any aggressive anti-virus or firewall programs? Comodo has already been proven to be an issue for a few users.

3.) What keyboard / mouse are you using? (If using any 3rd-party models like Razer, Logitech, etc., remove the special drivers and simply use the devices UPnP. Also, be sure the mouse and keyboard are plugged directly into the USB jacks on the motherboard, not into any extension cards or hubs.)

For the two to be completely non-responsive, that's indicative of a program blocking or hooking the inputs. That's not something the game does. Something, somewhere, is doing...something.

Top Bottom