Keyboard doesnt react in witcher 3 anymore please HELP

+
Ok, here is the problem. On a fresh install and/or after deleting the input.settins & user.settings, there are no keybindings, all are set to "none" in game, except F5 which also happens to be the only key that works in game.

1. I'd like to stand you corrected, this is in game because the game won't even allow me to reset the controls to default. Please provide me with the debug tools necessary to troubleshoot this problem in-game, so I can determine where and how the game fails to complete this function.

1. No mods, tried everything on a fresh install, no saved games, no saved configuration.
2. I am using no realtime anti-virus. Only windows defender. Again, I disabled defender & exploit protections, DEP & aslr + all the rest, disabled DMA protections in testing.
3. Keyboard and mouse are using Microsoft UPNP drivers. NOT after market or third party. I am using a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard & Anker TM137U neither of which is working in witcher, at least not directly in game, only in menu, and in the debug menu, where I can navigate around the world just fine.
4. loading as admin does not fix this issue.
5. enabling debugger via: The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\General.ini file and adding DBGConsoleOn=true
allows me to access the debug menu with the ~ key, but that is the only key that works. (update, f5 works as well)

I do have a USB 3.0 expansion card; the problem persists with or without it.

Here is a video of the bug:

No other game is experiencing this issue. Please provide me with the necessary debugging tools to provide you with the necessary data.
Post automatically merged:

Video 2, using the aformentioned debug menu I am able to navigate around the game after hitting F1, with the mouse and keyboard just fine, but only inside the debug system. Please provide me with the necessary tools to debug this; is there anybody on the cdprojektred forum that has any affiliation with the company? Please explain to me the necessary debug commands to verify what is going on here in the debug menu.

Last edited:
Ok, here is the problem. On a fresh install and/or after deleting the input.settins & user.settings, there are no keybindings, all are set to "none" in game.

1. I'd like to stand you corrected, this is in game because the game won't even allow me to reset the controls to default. Please provide me with the debug tools necessary to troubleshoot this problem in-game, so I can determine where and how the game fails to complete this function.

1. No mods, tried everything on a fresh install, no saved games, no saved configuration.
2. I am using no realtime anti-virus. Only windows defender. Again, I disabled defender & exploit protections, DEP & aslr + all the rest, disabled DMA protections in testing.
3. Keyboard and mouse are using Microsoft UPNP drivers. NOT after market or third party. I am using a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard & Anker 98ANWVM-BA neither of which is working in witcher, at least not directly in game, only in menu.
4. loading as admin does not fix this issue.
5. enabling debugger via: The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\General.ini file and adding DBGConsoleOn=true
allows me to access the debug menu with the ~ key, but that is the only key that works. (update, f5 works as well)

I do have a USB 3.0 expansion card; the problem persists with or without it.

Here is a video of the bug:

No other game is experiencing this issue. Please provide me with the necessary debugging tools to provide you with the necessary data.
Post automatically merged:

Video 2, using the aformentioned debug menu I am able to navigate around the game after hitting F1, with the mouse and keyboard just fine, but only inside the debug system. Please provide me with the necessary tools to debug this; is there anybody on the cdprojektred forum that has any affiliation with the company? Please explain to me the necessary debug commands to verify what is going on here in the debug menu.

I can't watch the videos with any sound at this moment, but I'll do so later on. Great description of your issue though! I'd encourage you to send this info into CDPR Tech Support directly. Please review the corresponding FAQs (just to ensure you've covered all those bases); the links to contact Support are at the end of each FAQ section.

I've personally installed the game on 3 different PCs: my own, custom-built rig, an iBuyPower system from 2014, and my old ASUS RoG laptop from 2012. I have not experienced the slightest problem with any mouse, keyboard, or gamepad I've used. The default keys have populated correctly every time I installed.

The core of the issue will be something hooking the input commands and/or some very obscure hardware incompatibility with the M+K. If you're using a bridge, I'd recommend plugging the USBs directly into the motherboard jacks -- just to rule that out as a factor. Is your keyboard multi-language, by any chance?

It worked fine in windows 7, not 10... so maybe the game has driver compatibility issues, not a hardware compatibility issue. I have run windows driver verifier and there is no bad driver there that could be causing this kind of problem. I have sent two support requests directly to cdprojektred, one a month ago, and one a few days ago, and they ignored both of them, offering no response at all. Though they claim to offer it, apparently they don't actually provider customer support. I do have a USB 3.0 bridge/expansion card; as I have said before, the problem persists with or without it.

Both keyboard and mouse are blocked on the same machine, and you are saying its obscure? A search online you will find many people with the same or similar issues, often it is with just the mouse or just the keyboard. For me it is both.

UPDATE: I have tested with alternative Microsoft TM keyboards without HID and multiple USB host providers (both USB 2.0, and USB 3.0 and both are from a different manufacturer) and still have the same bug, this re-occurs after multiple dist upgrades.

It is an english language keyboard.

The game itself does not populate the default keys, it leaves all but f5 as none. F5 works just fine in game, meaning its an in game bug, and developers need to improve its compatibility with devices to work as they do in game in the debug console only.

Please provide me with the necessary debug commands so I can determine where this bug is taking place. Thank you!

Last edited:
How is it so many years later that this has not been at least narrowed down, much less solved. Running the game with no mods - straight download and run from Steam and it ran fine for the first 5.7 hours and then I start the game up and I can space through the opening but as soon as gameplay loads - all key bindings are set to "none"; changing them does not help - deleting input files, replacing files, running as admin, etc. none of it works. Nothing has changed in my setup or system since download and install two days ago.
I get the strong feeling that this is "not a big enough problem to expend resources on" from the developer side. Disappointing.

Top Bottom