Keyboard doesnt react in witcher 3 anymore please HELP

+
Keyboard doesnt react in witcher 3 anymore please HELP

hy there,

after looking for days in the internet for an answer and didnt found anything i decided to come to the forums.

I played WItcher 3 (the main game) and everything worked fine, and i loved it..
Now, since the new episodes came out and i had some time off from work i decided to start playing them.
I started it up (i didnt play it for month, i only played teh main game) and wanted to play, the first thing that was strange is that the "press space to skip" didnt work.. ok, so i whaited till the intro was over and i was at the menue.
In the menue, the Mouse worked fine as it does ingame, BUT with the keyboard its a different thing, it doesnt do anything, i cant walk, jump, open the menue via esc or anything else. The Gme is blocking my keyboard input..

The windows key, ALT-Tab and such are WORKING..so whait, the keyboard works for windows but not for witcher?

Ok, i started testing other keyboards, I tested other games, and every game worked as it should, ONLY witcher 3 blocks my key input.
I even made a new and shiny fresh install of my WIndows 7 64bit, just to find out that it didnt fix it..

Ok, i even tested teh Windows Monitor Keyboard, nope, that also didnt make me walk in witcher 3..

The thing is, everything worked fine for my main game playtrough.. So my guess, something happened after the 1.07 update that blocked my keyboard..

PLEASE HELP ME..

I really really wanna finnish this game and play the new episodes, and please dont recommend me an gamepad.. im an old shool PC Gamer. no way i play this with an gamepad...

My system spcs...

WIndows 7 64bit (clean install)
MS Sidewinder x4 Keyboard (i did test 4 more, DELL, Logitech, etc)
Logi G400 Mouse
GTX670
Q9550 Intel

Oh, no gamepad here, not installed, not ever in contact with my PC.

Not using any mods, nothing..
in every other game it works fine, its only happening in witcher 3 since after 1.07.

Oh, and i did manage to get some kind of LOG, thats why i Say its Blocking my keyboard..The game does something in an area it isnt supposed to.

ill just copy and paste what i posted in that other forum..

Me:
hy there,

dunno how to explain this, this problem i have hasnt really something to do with reshade, but im using reshade LOG to get a more clear picture why this is happenening..
anyway, does someone know what this "Exactly" means, including what error code 998 is..
19/06/2016 19:40:40:103 [03636] | INFO | Redirecting 'RegisterRawInputDevices(000007FEF301E100, 1, 16)' ...
19/06/2016 19:40:40:103 [03636] | WARN | > 'RegisterRawInputDevices' failed with error code 998!
19/06/2016 19:41:11:282 [03636] | INFO | Redirecting 'RegisterRawInputDevices(000007FEF301E100, 1, 16)' ...
19/06/2016 19:41:11:282 [03636] | WARN | > 'RegisterRawInputDevices' failed with error code 998!

Or maybe does have an answer allready and had this problem..
I had it before and i did fix it, but i cant remember.

Its about witcher 3, i cant use my keyboard, it wont reconize my input..
Alt f4, windows key and such do work, but space to skip, etc, and walking ingame does not..only mouse works..
I tested 3 keyboards, all the same, i tried usb settings, reinstall windows and on and on and on..

i dont know what to do anymore..

maybe anyone can help me, even doe its slitghly off topic..

Greetings

Answer from an respected coder:
Error 998 is ERROR_NOACCESS, aka invalid access to memory region, which means the game tried to read/write to a location in memory it shouldn't read from/write to while registering raw input. Why that is, I don't know.

RegisterRawInputDevices' failed with error code 998! - this the log when i try to press an key on my keyboard in game (skipping with space in the intro to be exact)

I hope theres someone who can help me. PLEASE CDProjekt, help an Sad WItcher out..

Greetings

PS. English isnt my native language, so dont be to hard on me if U find some errors :)

Last edited:
as galaxy will reinstall broken stuff but wont remove things that do not belog there - i'd trash the bin folder before fixing, mostlike a broken hook blocks the keyboard/mouse. if this doesnt help theres something fishy in the gamefolder itsself - if you have offline gog installers I#d backup your mods trash whole game dir, backup your witcher 3 folder in documents and reinstall

Last edited:
hy there, thanks for your answers, since im an experienced PC user, that what u guys are suggesting is one of teh first things i tried..
Liek i sayd, i reinstalled windows FRESH, so no folders in documents, and game was fresh installed. i did this around 3 times ( the fresh install yes) to see if it is an driver issue, but wasnt..
like i sayd, this happened after patch 1.07, there is some changes made there that fucked it all up..

im really angry to be honest, cant play on of the greatest games. You did let me play the Main game, but after updating it u blocked me out..And of course im not the only one with such an problem, the forums in teh internet are kinda full of it, keyboard problems, not reacting, some keys broke , the list goes on and on..

usually i would just leave it, but this was teh first gam,e that really had something going for it..Not the usuall Hollywodd bollocks form EA or ubish*t..It has teh best story of all rpg games..

I just wanna play it so i can finish it...

i even put a LOG here, where u can clearly see that the game blocks the keyboard input.
I even deleted my save game, not on purpose of course, but all this reinstalling made me try everything..

so, there CANT Be something fishy in any folder, its a clean install on both system and game.. I tried offline install (gOg also, the game files are all OK and fine..

I did also fiel an support ticket, but from what i reading in these forums here, i wont keep my hopes up that someone will get back to me..

WHat a shame.....

oh, and again, I DONT EVEN USE MODS, so there arent any installed or used.. Are u guys even reading what i wrote?

Thanks for telling us we're full of shit, We are not CDPR, we a just a bunch of guys and moderators on their forums, We had nothing to do with your issues. , The game is working for the majority of us. We try to help you because we like the game.

So what is that a log of? is it TW3 or reshade log or something else? be specific, what is the name of this log and which folder is it in.

Are you using any keyboard remapping software?

What exactly are all your system specs? Have you disabled any services? Do your windows events show any weird errors, both in software and hardware. Is one of your memory sticks playing up?

And most of all , be patient with CDPR, they just released virtually a new game.

reshade created this log but at the same time its a fresh install and no mods - i smell a lil contradiction in here

In that case he can delete his bin directory, verify files, re reshade.

Had to the the same thing when I moved my reshade install

Last edited:
haha,

im sorry if i came a bit strong. didnt mean that..
Still, i need to be more clear i guess...

1. Fresh windows install (so no services disabled, no tweaks or whatever, just an UP TO DATE fresh windows 7)
2. So, since its an Fresh win install, the Game is also Installed Fresh, without MODS, Reshades or whatever stuff you think could be in there.(the game files are verified.
So, we can agree that it cant be an MOD or reshade or msiafterburner or whatever, since its not existing on my PC.
Drivers are also all up to date and i have admin rights, if that even matters at all...

Heres also an DxDiag report for anyone who wants to read it :)

haha, didnt fit in here..

Pastebin link--> http://pastebin.com/9VYmewmc

Im now testing on exactly what change the keyboard input (also the virtual keyboard in windows) stops working.. Starting with witcher 3 v.1.01 ...and so on..

greetings

sorry, there is a few communication issues

Where is the initial log from?

Did you do a clean install of windows?, ie everything on your hard drive was erased?

Have you ever used reShade?

---------- Updated at 01:28 AM ----------

I just googled

RegisterRawInputDevices(000007FEF301E100

This is a reShade issue, do as previously advised.

if this is not clear to you, copy/paste it into google translate.

Last edited:
ah, damn, yeah forgot that, yes i "USED" reshade to get an LOG..since witcher wouldnt give me one..
Lets say i used reshade to find out what was wrong..

i didnt use it and didnt had it installed or in use when testing. I had the suspission that the game blocks my keys, and to find it out i had teh idea to use reshade, wich, well, it worked as you can see, it reports whats happening.

I just finished installing Witcher (1.01) and like i sayd, the Keyboard works !!
Now im installing the 1.10...

And if the keyboard stops reacting after the 1.10 patch we can all be pretty shure that it isnt my PC or windows thats the issue, since it worked before the update with no single problem..

Ill be right back..

edit, i just saw ur edit.. umm, like i stated, I ONLY used reshade to get an LOG, after i did a fresh windows install and game install i didnt use or had reshade on my pc anymore.. SO, no its not an Reshade issue :)

edit2:

LoL. hahah, what you dig up there at google, was my question to crosire so he can tell me what the log says.. Thats me there asking in that forum ;)

also this here:

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/wind...registerrawinputdevices-printable-thread.html

same problem, but hes an developer and figured something is wrong with his code.. so maybe the update from witcher 3 changed something in that regards, and thats what i think all along..

One sec. 1.10 is installed.. testing now.............

Last edited:
reShade will leave artifact in in your bin directory. A verify files will not fix this.

Last edited:
DOnt you get it?
There is NO reshade in teh bin dir, nor is it on my PC, Its an clean windows install, with an CLEAN WItcher 3 install. the drive has been formated and wiped before the windows 7 install, THERE CANT BE ANYTHING THERE FROM RESHADE...

The LOG that u saw that i made with reshade, was AFTER i had this problem, i used reshade to figure out what was going on.. Then i did a fresh install / wiped my Hard Drive.. ReShade is DEAD, non existant on my PC.. i happily invite you to an Teamviewer session to see for yourself ... ;)

Last edited:
obviously not, it has not bean clear that you did a clean install afterwards. Your last message is however now clear.

Tell us what happens 1.10 is installed.

Do you know of anyone else with your issue, I'm not aware of it.

and just to be precise. Our concern was not if reShade is there, tbut reshade overwrites some files and leaves other things in the witcher 3 bin directory.

just tested and the conclusion is that UPdate 1.21 breaks my keyboard..

Witcher 3 1.10 works fine. keyboard works and i can walk, as soon as i install teh 1.21 update, the keyboard doesnt react anymore..THey have changed something in that update, how the input works, my best guess, and this breaks it for me.
SO clearly it has something to do with the update/game.. i just hope they can look into it, cause theres nothing i can do on my side here..

the sad thing is, that you need 1.21 to play Blood and wine :(

Last edited:
just tested and the conclusion is that UPdate 1.21 breaks my keyboard..

Witcher 3 1.10 works fine. keyboard works and i can walk, as soon as i install teh 1.21 update, the keyboard doesnt react anymore..THey have changed something in that update, how the input works, my best guess, and this breaks it for me.
SO clearly it has something to do with the update/game.. i just hope they can look into it, cause theres nothing i can do on my side here..

the sad thing is, that you need 1.21 to play Blood and wine :(

Your conclusion could be true, but given I haven't seen this reported, your conclusion is a stretch.

There have been problems with patch using the gog galaxy installer, I have steam version so can't tell you what. Others might

I suggest sending a support ticket to CDPR with the information in your last two pages (they are clear) with the reShade log, and ask them have they fiddled with the keyboard input.

I still suspect your specific install is corrupt in some way.

Good luck.

It sounds to me as if you could have a problem with the game recognizing a regional keyboard. Try selecting a new download location for Steam / GOG, then verify / validate again.

If it still won't work, open up a ticket with CDPR Support and include a description of that 998 error you received. Do you have a another keyboard you can try in the meantime to see if that makes any difference?

Good luck.

Hey SadWitcher,

Stumbled on this thread after a friend of mine told me that she was having the exact same issue after patch 1.21, and after patch 1.22 didn't resolve the issue for her, I thought I'd post here to see if you were able to get this resolved through CDPR support, and if so, how.

Appreciate your help if you got an answer. Otherwise, I'll ask her to follow up with support herself ;)

Top Bottom