Kickstarter for the Witcher

+
Kickstarter for the Witcher

I'm pretty sure that you all know 'bout the tremendous success of Double Fines Kickstarter project. They managed to collect almost 2.4 million dollars (six time more than the asked amount), from the fans who love them (justly so), trust them, and are ready to invest some of their money to see their favorite developer create some awesome games..

Now, I'm gonna speak for myself. I trust CDP, love their Witcher games, and would want for them to have a higher budget to create as best experiences as they could. We all know that the budget for TW2 was not all that big, compared to other games, but TW2 managed to best them all (except Human Revolution & Portal 2, they're on the equal grounds for me)..

I would gladly pay up to 30$ to support the development of the Witcher 3 (DRM free, of course), and don't expect nothing in return, just the best possible game CDP could produce. Witcher fanbase is pretty loyal, and I think that CDP could gather some significant funds from them..

Now, this is all just hypothetical, but what do you think? :p

Well, but you can do it right now. Just buy 1-2 more copies of the game and give them to someone. This way you:

1. Provide revenue for CDPR so they can fund Witcher 3.
2. Make 1-2 more people possibly interested in the franchise, maybe liking it and buying Witcher 3 in effect :)

With Witcher 2 CDPR proved that even with restricted budget you can still create a game that beats many competitors, both better established and with bigger budgets.

I don't think it would be appropriate for an established studio to ask for money on Kickstarter.

It's a different story with Tim Schafer and Double Fine since they're simply unable to secure funding for a point'n'click adventure game from a modern publisher. Meanwhile TW2 has had a 200-300% return of the $10 million invested, just on PC, so i doubt they'll have a problem securing all the funds they need for a sequel.

Still, there's nothing stopping you from getting yourself an additional copy from GOG (where 100% of the money goes to CDP), a retail edition if you don't have one, or the upcoming expansion(s) they've been hinting at.

I agree, but buying additional copies is just an individual thing, and vast majority of people wouldn't consider this option, because there's no sense of movement in it. Also, it would be inappropriate to ASK money from fans, but if put like simple, optional contribution from fans to making the game better, which is our interest, I don't see anything wrong with it. Again, this is all hypothetical..

There's Kickstarter hysteria going on right now, on many developer forums, so I was interested in what people have to say in here..

I'm with Thoric on this one, I don't think that an established studio like CDPR would benefit from doing anything like this.

Also, they are a public company on Warsaw Stock Exchange, so they get their financing from investors. I don't even think they actually COULD go for anything like kickstarter, as publically asking for money from such initiative wouldn't affect their stock prices well. The market would go all speculating about their financial condition and such, which would surely get them into serious trouble.

I don't think Kickstarter works for everything.

I think CDPR can manage to fund their own projects, since they are smart and sucessful

gregski said:
I'm with Thoric on this one, I don't think that an established studio like CDPR would benefit from doing anything like this.

Also, they are a public company on Warsaw Stock Exchange, so they get their financing from investors. I don't even think they actually COULD go for anything like kickstarter, as publically asking for money from such initiative wouldn't affect their stock prices well. The market would go all speculating about their financial condition and such, which would surely get them into serious trouble.

I agree. I think they're doing just fine financially so they shouldn't ask for money like that (as I understand it, that kickstarter sort of thing is purely for desperate situations where the money can't be gotten another way).

Having said that, I've already bought several copies of TW1 on Steam for friends and I would have bought TW2 on 360 for my brother except he hates when I buy multiple copies of a game I already own. I probably will end up getting TW2 on Steam as well at some point if I'm in the mood for the achievements :p And of course I will definitely buy whatever expansions or future games they are working on :D

I remember CD Projekt being in quite the financial trouble before The Witcher 2 came out. As I recall, they had trouble finding a publisher after Atari pulled out. This resulted in The Witcher console versions being cancelled and many employees had to be let go.
One of The Witcher 2 promotional videos also seemed a bit desperate, emphasizing "Pre-order now" leaving many gaming sites to speculate that the company was in financial trouble.

It's a shame to see CD Projekt going into the "media boxing ring" with Atari, Widescreen Games and Namco Bandai. Thank god they pulled out of the ring in the fight versus pirates. I'm all for punishing the people who pirate it when there's no disadvantage of purchasing since there's no DRM, a demo and free DLC, but it was never gonna end well, media-wise.

I hope it's all water under the bridge now and I hope that the Enhanced Edition is successful enough to support the many upcoming games from CD Projekt RED in the coming years.

Sources:
The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf "frozen"
CD Projekt Comment On Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Trailer Leak
Rumor: Problems at The Witcher development studio?

Duskey said:
As I recall, they had trouble finding a publisher after Atari pulled out. This resulted in The Witcher console versions being cancelled
That's NOT what happened to "Rise of the White Wolf," the console version of TW1. CDPR had subcontracted much of "Rise of the White Wolf" to an outside company, and that company turned in work that didn't meet CDPR's standards. CDPR wasn't willing to release a lousy version of RotWW, and they couldn't make both that AND TW2 with the staff they had, so RotWW was put on hold.

Lets wait and see. CDPR have learned alot from TW2.
Personally I made one of my friends buy TW2 and another one will buy it when he gets his new laptop after he saw me running it on ultra he was stunned.

Top Bottom