Kickstarter (If it happened)

+
Kickstarter (If it happened)

So if CDPR had to open a kickstarter for CP77 would you help fund it? How do you feel about Kickstarter helping game companies publish games as opposed to big companies like Activision and EA?

Personally I think I would much rather prefer Kickstarter for great games like the classic Baldurs Gates, Fallouts, ME1, Civ.. and so on... but I have always wondered if doing a kickstarter for a game, would it allow the game prices to actually drop?

Not sure about that, but it would certainly prevent the big companies to press their politics onto the game devs.

Forum veteran
So if CDPR had to open a kickstarter for CP77 would you help fund it?
No. Kickstarter turns fanbases into sleazy car salesmen and sics them on the internet; you just end up with a million people trying to blackmail you into supporting the Kickstarter by bringing up previous games and making it sound like it's the only chance you'll ever have to see those games again. It's ugly, brings out the worst in people, and the "rewards" could arguably end up detracting from the game as a whole (like in Project Eternity where you're able to name and design an NPC, or other Kickstarter games where you're able to design/name stuff when you pay enough). A Kickstarter campaign is one of the few things capable of completely asphyxiating my excitement for something.

No. Kickstarter turns fanbases into sleazy car salesmen and sics them on the internet; you just end up with a million people trying to blackmail you into supporting the Kickstarter by bringing up previous games and making it sound like it's the only chance you'll ever have to see those games again. It's ugly, brings out the worst in people, and the "rewards" could arguably end up detracting from the game as a whole (like in Project Eternity where you're able to name and design an NPC, or other Kickstarter games where you're able to design/name stuff when you pay enough). A Kickstarter campaign is one of the few things capable of completely asphyxiating my excitement for something.

So if a dev team was unable to fund a project would you rather it never be brought up or perhaps a larger Company fund it?

Forum veteran
So if a dev team was unable to fund a project would you rather it never be brought up or perhaps a larger Company fund it?
If the two options are between a game being not made and the developer's creative vision potentially being compromised, I'd prefer the game never gets made. Better to wonder about what might have been than to look back and wish it hadn't.

I wouldn't f help fund anything on those "invest in it yourself" sites. For the simple reason that I don't trust them. Where the fuck is my guarantee that if I fund and buy a copy of a game through, say, Kickstarter, that I'll actually even get to see the finished product? There are no regulations or laws to protect the investors and I'll be damned if I ever just threw my money into the fire when there are actually indie games on, for example, Steam (with fantastic prices mind you) as an alternative.

No. Never gonna fund anything. When the day comes when I can be a 110% sure that a project that's been green-lit and received all the necessary money it needs (fulfilled their goal) will produce a product, then we're in business. Until then, Kickstarter and the likes can go fuck themselves sideways. I'm not interested in being scammed out of my money.

I do however think it's a brilliant idea. It's a great place where niche games can come to be and truly flourish. But right now, it feels like it's just a vague promise they're making you when they've received all their money.

227, agreed. But as NanoPaladin has stated, money issues could be a problem at anytime. Kickstarter's donate more to obtain more mechanic is absolute trash, so agreed on that notion.

Kickstarter's fine for a game that would not otherwise get funding and development, definitely better than taking corporate money to develop a game that's other than the one they want to make. But insofar as your question pertains to CDPR, it is a straw man, and I won't knock it down for you.

CDProjekt Red S.A. is not some garage shop. It's a publicly traded company and does not show signs that it lacks for capital. It's got profits from two sleeper hits, and it's got two ambitious games in development. If it doesn't generate enough working capital already to fund this development, it has access to markets where it can get that capital on terms that don't require them to compromise their vision.

Game doesn't need it. CD Projekt is a big publisher in Poland. They've only developed two titles on their own, but they've published a ton in Eastern Europe. Besides, look at the quality of The Witcher 2. That's far beyond what most kickstarter games reach for.

Personally I have not given or donated to any of the projects I have seen on the site. A lot of the ideas are pretty cool though, I saw a Kickstarter for a new Shadowrun rpg. In the end if someone did take the money ran, I do think the backlash would be very severe. Im not too sure on what it takes to start a project there but I would hope that one would need some sort credentials to set one up.

Edit: I was using CDPR as an example, I honestly did not fully expect to see a larger company like CDRP to use it. On the same token only one of my friends other than me has ever played a Witcher Game.... and I do have a decent amount of friends which was part of why I had never seen how well it had actually did.

True, there needs to be legal security that it will actually happen or your money back....or better even, those who invested getting shares and dividend on the finnished product. But with no security that the money won't be wasted and scammed, who can afford that. if a big company covers it then there is risk that the game becomes corrupted by big corp politics and accountant savings, but at least it is guarantied that it will happen.

I love CDPR but I dislike the whole Kickstarter donations idea at least for games. People don't realize they are being lied to and the whole kickstarter is another way to advertise already on going projects and still get pay for it and reduce the production costs. If you donate to one project you have no guarantee that game will ever come out but if it does, will it be even playable?
Save your money ppl dont be so naive, buy yourself new clothes or fix your car.

I have to agree with 227, although the 'cause seems to be good' but lot of mess behind. And would rather have nothing made at all (plus saving our money) than having an adulterated product

Kickstarter is filth.

Game dev is a business. And in any kind of business, you need something called risk to make the business owners care for their company and products. Risk of failing and going bankrupt, risk of losing THEIR OWN MONEY if they don't step their game up and do their best.

Kickstarter takes that very important factor of enterpreneurial risk and puts it on customers shoulders, to the extent that it makes them call themselves "investors", which they're not.

So, as you can see I am against the concept of Kickstarter as a whole, and as someone noticed CDPR is a publicly held company and they don't need this type of funding.

I love CDPR but I dislike the whole Kickstarter donations idea at least for games. People don't realize they are being lied to and the whole kickstarter is another way to advertise already on going projects and still get pay for it and reduce the production costs. If you donate to one project you have no guarantee that game will ever come out but if it does, will it be even playable?
Save your money ppl dont be so naive, buy yourself new clothes or fix your car.

Yes! Not even if the company itself tell you so. Not if there is legal rights in PEN AND PAPER and the media is backing and advertising the idea. Other wise if it turns to be a joke, you wont get not even a thanks or a cent.

I will back this game CP77 but this game is already back up and I bet 100 bucks that this game does not need to be in no kickstarter

Personally i think kickstarter will work for few years and then it will collapse. Atm it works cause it gives you a promise of creating a true sequel to all this cult games you've played 15 years ago or so. The problem is this products will always be niche ones. Kickstarter doesn't offer enough money to create AAA product. Also, that element of nostalgia that is exploited by devs on kickstarter will vanish soon after the product will be released. I don't think sequels to kickstarter games will get more money. I do think its a nice idea to restart franchise but to rely on this on regular basis? No, thanks.

And just to give little perspective to cd projekt games and kickstarer hits.

One of the most successful campaigns on KS - Project Eternity had over 4 million $. First Witcher budged was around 10 million $. Witcher 2 had bigger budget than first one. Both Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk have bigger budget than Witcher 2. My guess the budget for this games is around 15-20 millions $ (just my guess).

Top Bottom