Killing children?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 4211861

In RDR2, there's a scene where two street kids try to lure you into an alley to rob you (their friends are waiting there and they're armed).

In this scene, I tried to throw a tomahawk at one of the kids and the game didn't let me. So the fact that they're robbers didn't change anything. Throwing a dynamite stick at them causes them to run off and despawn. Of course, the game did allow me to stab in the throat the 18 year olds with guns, who came out of the shadows to rob me.

So I guess 18 year olds are fair game, but not anything below that age, despite the fact they're thugs.

There was a horror shooter some time ago, Jericho, in which the main antagonist is a demon baby and it was fine to shoot, I guess it's ok to kill babies who are on the wrong side of a religion.

In CP2077, kids will just despawn whenever you drive, which I think is the best solution, this isn't carmageddon. It's understandable to find a compromise, to be able to sell the game, but kids do get shot in America just about every day, so it would fit the theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a simple matter of societal norms. They don't have to follow any specific logic, and I would argue frequently are illogical and internally inconsistent. But that doesn't matter. The norms are what they are, at least today. Tomorrow they might be different. But whatever they happen to be at the moment in a particular society, breaking them has consequences.

Breaking them as a central story point is one thing, and usually is accepted under the notion of artistic license. Breaking them as a peripheral element to a story is usually regarded as bad taste, will cost sales, and probably result in censorship in some countries.

I want to quickly state that I have no issues with this not being possible and that this thread is more in regards to me wondering, what is behind such decision.

So most games will not allow this, either by flagging them unharmable or simple not include them or however they choose to deal with it. The reason I ask this is because I thought they did it due to some legal stuff or something? or is it just purely because the company decide it to be like that?

Because I was watching a stream of Days Gone and in this game there are some children zombies called Newts, which the player kills like anything else.

View attachment 11068307

So is there different rules about this, so if they just make them zombies and call them "Newts" or Orc children or whatever, then it is perfectly fine? Or again is it just a choice the individual company make and there is basically nothing wrong if they wanted to add such thing?

You can't shoot/harm/kill children. It has been confirmed multiple times. Based off of media previews, I believe V simply can't do any direct/pointing attack move on children.

HORROR games gotten away with some of this stuffs because something like children zombies can be classified as "monsters." Sometimes game devs will design children monsters to the point of unrecognizable or inhuman-like. The same things happened with Dead Space games. Another examples would be children-looking robots or simply small/little animals or monsters.

For another comparison. In Witcher 3, you have a botchling monster (read the wiki) & when Geralt fight it, it turn into a different looking creature all together.

I remember another game as well, which were not about killing children, but a 2.5D shooter that got a lot of heat for being very violent and you had to kill everything, don't know if anyone remember what it was called?

You're probably thinking about "Hatred".

I think the main reason why devs do it is because there are those (politicians) that will see a game where you murder children and call it the spawn of Satin. Now I've never seen Days Gone, but I have played Dying Light, which does have one enemy type that is a child zombie that will scream if they see you. While you can choose to choke it out while shushing it (I think it's supposed to be a reference to something), you can still kill it with projectiles. Anyway, my point is that since those children are zombies, I guess that the public sees them as zombies, and not children, so it's okay. I can see why people might be suspicious of a game that lets you kill children (that aren't zombies), but if the world wasn't full of people who assume that such a game is a pure child murder simulator instead of a storytelling masterpiece, then maybe more devs would allow it unless they think it's unethical.

once you're too big you have to follow certain guidelines set by corporate overseers. it is what it is. hopefully modding will take care of things

Since I like to quicksave then go on a killing spree when a NPC insults my character it'd be nice if kids were killable since they often do it with their snoody immortality knowing they can't be killed. Fortunately some games get mods that allows it. And since CP2077 allows modding chances are even if they aren't by default surely someone will change their flags to allow it.

Moderator: Last year, CDPR confirmed that killing children will not be possible. Since this topic is of extremely dubious propriety, further discussion is neither productive, nor tasteful. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom