Killing the Beast

+
Killing the Beast

I can't do it. I tried everything. He stuns me and I don't have enough potions to keep me alive. I couldn't find more strong alcohol to make more Swallows, if that's what I need. I need a trainer, I think, for Steam's enhanced edition promo, but can't find one except for gold.

You can reload an earlier save and go to the cave where the echinops are. (The cave where Leuvarden asked to go and find his friend). There, you can stay as long as you like and gain levels. Try to put all your talent points into skills that will help you with the beast. With the Aard sign you 'll need just one cut to kill the beast. My advice is, forget about the barghests and go for the beast with the Aard. You can pass through the barghests (if they block you the way), by put your sword style into fast and jump above them by double-pressing the direction button. (The W, A, D, S for keyboard-and-mouse control, or left mouse button for only mouse control). Of course, maybe you 'll find help in the 55 pages of The Beast topic we have here:http://tw1.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2424.0:)

You couldn't find alcohol for potions? You don't have Swallow? Do you have Specter oil? Did you use Place of Power and Aard focus stone?
Cryshal said:
I tried everything.
Then you definitely haven't tried everything.Alcohol can be bought in every tavern. Specter Oil recipe can be bought from Abigail from the start of Chapter 1.

I did know all the above. I finally finished the beast. I did it by killing all the Barghests around the witch, first, and then killed the Beast with fast sword, before he had a chance to stun me.

Yeah, the first time I went through this, I found it impossible, partly because I didn't know that Abigail was unkillable. I was trying to protect her and keep her alive (like Vesna Hood, hell was she annoying, but at least it was a [rare] challenge).So... once I found out that I didn't have to take pains to keep Abigail alive (and then had to go back through the Prologue and the whole first chapter a second time because I'd accidentally erased the game saves, grrr... don't ask) I found the Beast to be an extraordinarily easy kill. If I remember right: second time I used Specter Oil, Swallow and I think probably Blizzard (because in the beginning I really liked that potion -- later on it became annoying) . . . and just went right after the Beast with little regard for the barghests. (I wanted to kill lots of barghests first, in order to rack up XP, but I quickly found out that by doing so I was giving the Beast an advantage and letting him wear me down, so I stopped doing that.) With the Specter Oil on my blade, and chaining my attacks so, I guess, he didn't get a chance to stun me, he went down pretty quickly.I suspect that the Specter Oil was really the most important secret ingredient -- that without it: the fight would've been considerably tougher. If I remember right, because of the Specter Oil I think the Beast took massive amounts of damage with every series of strikes.Therefore:Swallow + Specter Oil + Fast Style = Dead Beast.However... two things:1. I'm thinking you probably have to be quick about it to make sure the Beast doesn't stun you and therefore get the chance to assail you with a bunch of devastating attacks -- which means Spector Oil and relentless chained attacks in Fast Style. Don't give him a chance if you can help it. Don't bother with the barghests: go straight for the Beast.2. I'm thinking: This might be one of those fights where, depending on your luck, you either get stunned and therefore quickly lose or you don't get stunned and therefore win. (If I remember right, I think the first time through, when I was naïve about Abigail, I'd keep getting stunned and then once I was stunned would end up dead really quickly.) But I also think that you can usually keep from getting stunned if you use the above formula. I'd have to do a bunch of testing to make certain, but... dem's my memories.

The is one of my favorite parts of the game when your with Abigail for it like a 2 edged sword it take a bit of skill and luck for me a while myself with my veary first play to see it.True Abigail is unlikable she only get stun. but while she on her feet she can heal you while your fight the Best,for me it was a bit of luck and some well timed hits as well as keeping Abigail on her feet as long as I can while fight the beast and sometimes get a few stuns in on the Beast so I can help her out

On my first try, I was surprised how quickly I died. But after a while I developed a style for killing the Beast. Run around, stop and turn around, aard, hit and run. Run, turn around, igni and run. I also had a few unnecessary deaths beacuse I was desperately trying to protect Abigail, but after dying three or four times, I thought to hell with her, and then the Beast is dead and she stands up. I felt like complete moron.

Guest 2081505

Tikky said:
But after a while I developed a style for killing the Beast. Run around, stop and turn around, aard, hit and run. Run, turn around, igni and run.
A possible strategy, Tikky, but surely not one of the best.The silver bullet is Aard. Takes 10 seconds maximum. But if Aard doesn't work?O.k. Abigail can't die but she can heal. Abigail can heal (herself and Geralt), if- she's in the upright position,- she has time for healing (i.e. she is not forced to defend herself),- Geralt is not too far away.This means: Geralt should defend Abigail and stay near her. Not because Abigail could die - she can't. But because she helps Geralt to survive - even if the beast stuns Geralt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMlxpcMJvUPlease, don't look at Geralt - he does his job, sure. Look at Abigail.

MaxStrauss said:
This means: Geralt should defend Abigail and stay near her. Not because Abigail could die - she can't. But because she helps Geralt to survive - even if the beast stuns Geralt.
That's true, I guess Abigail does have a role in this battle, but I found it harder to keep her alive than to keep myself alive. If the barghests keep appearing and attacking Abigail, I don't have a shot at killing the Beast. Maybe it would be a good strategy to keep the barghests away with the Aard or with the Igni sign, so they don't bother Abigail while attacking the Beast. That way she heals you while you're able to fight the Beast without interruptions from barghests. Although, the biggest problem in the battle for me was that I was surrounded a couple of times by four or five barghests and the Beast. The only escape was jumping over them out of the deadly circle. I tried attacking them with the group style but I was constantly stunned. By the time I managed to ecape I was seriously low on vitality, so the only way to fight them was to run around while swallow raises my vitality so I can return to fighting. Then I return to my previously mentioned style of fighting the Beast. (Run around, stop and turn around, aard, hit and run. Run, turn around, igni and run.)

well it like this one of the old rules of RPing is protect your healer .there to busy to fight while trying to keep the group at full heath LOL

The developers should stab themselves in the eye for this piece of shit fight. It is the most ridiculous, absurd bulllshit I've ever seen. I've tried every strategy stated above and I can't get past it. If i try to stop and drink a potion I get swarmed and stunned immediately before I'm done drinking the damn thing. If I try to focus on the beast it seems impossible to chain attacks because all of the other dogs interrupt my attacks. Jumping over the beast to try to get out of the swarm only seems to waste time, the dogs move at warp speed to re-swarm me almost as soon as I land. Oh yeah, and the chick dies almost immediately when the fight starts and never seems to stand back up to heal even when all 7 dogs are on me. If the first major boss fight in the game is like this I may as well go get my money back because it can only get more insanely ridiculous from this point on.

Cryshal said:
I can't do it. I tried everything. He stuns me and I don't have enough potions to keep me alive. I couldn't find more strong alcohol to make more Swallows, if that's what I need. I need a trainer, I think, for Steam's enhanced edition promo, but can't find one except for gold.
Gold problem? There is always poker my friend. Its not rocket science, really.Try the fight in OTS mode. Dodging rolling and leaping over is much easier in that mode, in my opinion. Use the spectre oil ,swallow, tawny owl, and keep aarding. Eventually you'll stun him. If not, you'll at least keep the barghests off you. Do NOT focus on the barghests. Do not waste time on Group style either. If you want, Igni them and let them incinerate. But focus all your sword energy on the beast. And STICK to Abigail. Don't let her fall. It'll help you if you do the ritual of magic thing before you go into battle. If you plan to use igni, you might also try the Igni circle in the crypt to increase sign intensity. They last for quite a few hours, and you can do them before entering the salamandra hut.Don't let the mutt get to you. If you think it's hard, you should see the bleeding koschey.

Top Bottom