Kinley goes to Gamescom

+
I admit that the question was misleading or at least no asked in the way I meant it. But the answer is really disappointing since it kind of shows me that Witcher 3 will really be a combat game first and not an RPG. Or more precise: it will be less like the books and more like your usual video game. Sure, you CAN avoid fighting in some quests but it seems like quests are almost entirely about "conflict" in some sort. My question was not whether you can solve quest peacefully but if there are any quests which doesn't involve any violence at all (not even as an option or only as a very "bad" option). The answer indicates that quests can usually be solved violently or by killing some sorts of enemies as the "usual outcome" that can be avoided from time to time but not that some/most quests are just "about life"...

I'm sorry but.... are there ever? I mean, yeah sure, there could be 1 or 2 in the whole game. But all in all the world of the witcher is all about conflict, may it be combat, out-right killing, punishment or verbal conflict.
I think in a game like TW you have bad cards to ever encounter such a quest...

That sounds like a very evasive answer given the fact that Kinley especially added "if your hardware allows it". I doubt that there is any hardware limitation that naturally causes corpses to disappear if I have a supercomputer at home. What I (we?) wanted to know was if corpses could stay visible in a certain area until we leave it IF WE OWN THE HARDWARE. Thanks for not answering or explaining anything here, CDPR...

IMO he did answer it.
He said, YES they stay on the ground for a while, but then they have to disappear because of the hardware.
Which basically means as long as in direct sight they will probably stay, and if you move some 100 meters away they will disappear.

THIS IS TERRIBLE, CDPR. You sacrificied PC for consoles and I downright hate you for doing so. Sorry, but that's how I feel. I'm not a CDPR fan/supporter anymore. May some console folks fill that empty space now...

I don't see it that way.
The real question is if the PC handling will be adapted so you can handle it well with keyboard&mouse. As long as this is provided I am 100% fine.

Though I also have to say that I really EXPECT to see a real mouse cursor and some subtle little elements like that.
They can leave the overall design the same, just make it PC-friendly. That's something I expect from them.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but.... are there ever? I mean, yeah sure, there could be 1 or 2 in the whole game. But all in all the world of the witcher is all about conflict, may it be combat, out-right killing, punishment or verbal conflict.
I think in a game like TW you have bad cards to ever encounter such a quest...
Well, that depends on how good you are at storytelling. This is an open world game so I don't see why such quests shouldn't be possible. In the books the Witcher world is at war or in conflict almost the whole time as well. Nevertheless almost every adventure of Geralt in the short stories is NOT about conflict. Of course it's about killing monsters because that's Geralt's job but that in most cases only the beginning of a much deeper story which is not about killing in the first place but about "human problem solving". Maybe I expect too much from a video game here, I don't know...

IMO he did answer it.
He said, YES they stay on the ground for a while, but then they have to disappear because of the hardware.
Which basically means as long as in direct sight they will probably stay, and if you move some 100 meters away they will disappear.
That's your interpretation but that's not what he said, sry. Of course they disappear somehow. The point was whether they will disappear in front of our noses and in our direct line of sight if we have a powerful PC which could render a lot of corpses and in all honesty, he didn't clearly answer that.

I don't see it that way.
The real question is if the PC handling will be adapted so you can handle it well with keyboard&mouse. As long as this is provided I am 100% fine.
That's how you port console games to PC. You make a design which works great on controllers and then after that you look for a solution to make it work on mouse and keyboard as well. I don't say that these games are naturally bad. For example, I personally love the AC games and I think their M/K controls are rather good. But I've expected more from CDPR. Hell, even Bioware will offer a unique UI for PC...

:rly?:

You're just not contributing in any way here, I know you're mad about the PC UI but there's no reason to ruin this topic. Of-course there are gonna be non violent quests, what the hell you think Novigrad and Oxenfurt are? They even said it in the trailers that the "little and quiet moments will make Geralt's life believable".

If you saw the gameplay corpses don't dissapear in front of your noses, in the latest gameplay the bandits corpses and limbs were there until you were gone.

And Bioware doesn't offer a PC UI, they just attach a hotkey bar to their PC releases which would just be distracting in this game, and TW2 had the same functionality. I can't believe someone so passionate about PC UI would defend Ubisoft who make the worst optimized PC games and have said they don't care about PC optimizatition. This is just horrible to watch and hypocritical. Topic was nice stop this non-sense .

Rafał delivered me a letter from Kinley he recived during Gamescon. At first I wanted to send a private message with many thanks, but I thought, that everyone should know how super nice and caring person Kinley is.

So - many thanks, Kinley. Now I have to work even harder to not to disapoint You with The Witcher 3. :)

I am not worthy!

Excited, humbled and generally glad that you liked the letter, and for the kind words at the same time. You are an inspiration Master Blacha. :)

And there's not doubt in my mind that you'll deliver the best with Witcher 3.

But... but ... @Kinley... do you ever realized what on hell you've reach? The post number one from @tetha77... Nobody else did it!!!!

How do you feel?

Well, that depends on how good you are at storytelling. This is an open world game so I don't see why such quests shouldn't be possible. In the books the Witcher world is at war or in conflict almost the whole time as well. Nevertheless almost every adventure of Geralt in the short stories is NOT about conflict. Of course it's about killing monsters because that's Geralt's job but that in most cases only the beginning of a much deeper story which is not about killing in the first place but about "human problem solving". Maybe I expect too much from a video game here, I don't know...

To be honest, I really expect there to be enough "human problem solving" along the lines.
It's just possible that - concluded from how TW2 was - there is most of the time an option to go the "short" way and CHOOSE conflict to solve the problem (maybe with negative consequences). But I can definitely see 1 or 2 quests about human problem solving.

You also have to take into account that Kinley asked if there are quests where you don't have to kill the monsters, meaning he didn't ask about humans, dwarfs or elves for that matter.

That's how you port console games to PC. You make a design which works great on controllers and then after that you look for a solution to make it work on mouse and keyboard as well. I don't say that these games are naturally bad. For example, I personally love the AC games and I think their M/K controls are rather good. But I've expected more from CDPR. Hell, even Bioware will offer a unique UI for PC...

Well, sometimes, I guess even CDPR has to make compromises...
Also, I do not see the harm in that if the UI really fits, looks well and handles well.

On another note: Why are you/ why is he banned? oO

I can't believe someone so passionate about PC UI would defend Ubisoft who make the worst optimized PC games and have said they don't care about PC optimizatition. This is just horrible to watch and hypocritical. Topic was nice stop this non-sense .

1. They did never say that, that is an interpretation
2. I absolutely agree about the "worst PC port" part

Last edited:
How do you feel?
Have to say that not just Mr Blacha surprised me, but the general response I got from everyone, be it RED or not. So I bow my head in front of all of you, it was my pleasure to do this.

And I'll definitely strive to do more and more for the community in the future, you guys and gals and very much worth it. :)

I'm very happy for Kinley, he deserves all of the recognition he got from the REDs.
He did a lot for the community and I have a lot of respect for him.

I salute you, bear ~*

Thank you Zorn. :) Right back at you. We all play a part in making this little corner of the internet our own. And like I said in the past, we might not be many, but our passion could fuel armies. And that's why I love every single one of you.

Bear hugs to everyone.

@Kinley - you've heard and read it a lot lately, but thanks a lot for this tread, the interviews, the videos and pictures! It's cool to see that all of you had fun at GamesCom. Thank you for your efford and sharing the whole thing with us! Keep doing the good job :)
Sincerely yours - community!
View attachment 5699

Attachments

• HqfUu5H.png
    HqfUu5H.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 37
Please CDPR guys, please create a Linux/Mac version for TW3... I don't care if the Linux release is 6 months or 1 years after the Windows release... And you'll have my fucking money...

They already have my money but would love it if they announced it for Mac. Don't know how smoothly it'll run on bootcamp and don't want to buy a PC just to play it (I don't play many video games). TW2 port for the Mac was horrible at best.

Top Bottom