Kinslayer's armour and swords!

+
Aaden said:
Well, certainly one question comes to mind: How do you keep your motivation up?

And just out of interest - it's way too late to switch, anyways - what kind of rings do you use? Spring steel, not stainless, I guess. But what diameter on the inside? How thick is the steel? How much do you pay per 1000 rings?

My motivation is simply held up by my PC and a lot of diversion, just put on some music and ocassionally do something else, take frequent brakes.

Yep, spring steel, not stainless, blackened rings (to give a more dark feel to the mail) Inside diameter is aprox 8-9mm. Thickness of the rings is 1,5mm. These are the rings i like to use, because if you use wider rings they mail tends to look loose and unprotective.

I pay 29 euro's for 5500 rings. So about 6-7 euros for 1000. Any more questions?:D

Pikvogel said:
My motivation is simply held up by my PC and a lot of diversion, just put on some music and ocassionally do something else, take frequent brakes.

Yep, spring steel, not stainless, blackened rings (to give a more dark feel to the mail) Inside diameter is aprox 8-9mm. Thickness of the rings is 1,5mm. These are the rings i like to use, because if you use wider rings they mail tends to look loose and unprotective.

I pay 29 euro's for 5500 rings. So about 6-7 euros for 1000. Any more questions?:D

Thanks!
You just confirmed all my choices: spring steel, not stainless, 9mm diameter, 1,4mm thick. Although I'm using blank rings (so, not blackened) for the neutral, purist look. :D
They're a bit more expensive (€8,60 / 1000pcs) but I don't think you'll be able to help me with that - unless your supplier ships to Germany cheaply or you happen to know a cheap German shop.

I was referring to long-term motivation. Once I'm at it, I'm fine: music, TV, audiobooks etc provide sufficient entertainment. But STARTING often is super-hard. I often leave it for weeks, because I can't bring myself to pick up those pliers.

How's being a blacksmith? Is that kind of medival stuff just a hobby/side-job or can you make a living of it? If not, what do you do regularly? I thought it might be fun, but couldn't imagine it paying my bills with the cheap Hungarian/Polish/Czech etc blacksmiths around.

By the way, sorry for hijacking your thread. Might as well take it to PM if it bothers you.

Here are some snapshots. I tried to take them from different angles, but if you need another one just say ;)

http://imageshack.us/g/19/witcher2201201261543219.png/

Aaden said:
Thanks!
You just confirmed all my choices: spring steel, not stainless, 9mm diameter, 1,4mm thick. Although I'm using blank rings (so, not blackened) for the neutral, purist look. :D
They're a bit more expensive (€8,60 / 1000pcs) but I don't think you'll be able to help me with that - unless your supplier ships to Germany cheaply or you happen to know a cheap German shop.

I was referring to long-term motivation. Once I'm at it, I'm fine: music, TV, audiobooks etc provide sufficient entertainment. But STARTING often is super-hard. I often leave it for weeks, because I can't bring myself to pick up those pliers.

How's being a blacksmith? Is that kind of medival stuff just a hobby/side-job or can you make a living of it? If not, what do you do regularly? I thought it might be fun, but couldn't imagine it paying my bills with the cheap Hungarian/Polish/Czech etc blacksmiths around.

By the way, sorry for hijacking your thread. Might as well take it to PM if it bothers you.

It doesn't bother me at all, don't worry. That's a fair amount for 1000 rings i think, when you buy more (5500) it costs you less because you buy alot :). I don't know where you live in germany but in my city (where i study) i got a medieval shop who sells them. If you live somewhere near the dutch border it would be a great trip to visit this store. It's massive! It sells everything that has to do with medieval, viking and fantasy stuff, they even organize shows with swordfighting and owls and birds of prey. check out their site: www.dragonheart.nl (i think it's in dutch but iff you need any translating i'll help ya ;). Maybe i'll be able to help you with the rings, iff you are willing to take a large order, they will cut you on the shipping costs, i can even send them to you myself!

Yep starting is allways the big problem... I tend to just put my work in front of me when I watch tv and then at some point i'll start doing it. yep, i can watch tv and work on my mail at the same time :D

In holland you can actually make a fair living out of being a blacksmith here. It's a real exclusive job. Lot's of old houses (and there are a lot of them) need repairs in a while, and a trained blacksmith is the only one who can do it. Mostly beside that blacksmiths like to be artists in their work. For me it's just a hobby. I study Industrial Design actually. But i've allready made a fair amount of cash with my hobby. I'm only 19 so, i still wan't to learn alot while i'm able to do so. But this study sucks, next year i'm going to study History or Chemistry.

Let's take this conversation to pm, or emailing it's like you say a bit of a hijack :)

Olloki said:
Here are some snapshots. I tried to take them from different angles, but if you need another one just say ;)

http://imageshack.us/g/19/witcher2201201261543219.png/

Thanks alot man! Those are great! really helps alot :)
Still need some of the pants and boots, those are i think really hard to make, they could be in some sort of cutscene or finishing move...
But nontheless thanks.

FOUND THEM! I'm planning to make the first two, because they are the mose awesome!

So, did you get all the pictures you need, or is anything missing?

You'll have to get that project going. I'm so eager to see the results!

Aaden said:
So, did you get all the pictures you need, or is anything missing?

You'll have to get that project going. I'm so eager to see the results!

Still waiting for some good screens! Like I said. I never got a good look at the trousers the back and the boots. Maybe you can get the best shot at those with cutscenes, arm wrestling and fistfights.. Just a thought. Help me out guys! :D

I just had an idea. You could read a bit on modding and find out how to extract the textures from the game files. Then you'll have high-res pictures of all the armor parts. They'll be in 2D and maybe distorted (like cutting the 3d model open and fold it into a plain), but I think it'll give you a good idea of the looks and all the details.

Hi! Today I finished dark mode and tried to make some screenshots in which you can see Geralt's back and legs. ;)

OMG, is that... Godzilla?

(You can find some more in the screenshot thread)

Good luck with your home-made Kingslayer's armour and tell me if need more/better pics. :)

Is it too late to help? If it isn't I can post some screens of the Kinslayer's armour. Front, back, gloves, trousers, and the boots. :3
EDIT: I'm sorry, I didn't see the screens already posted. Stupid thing didn't load them. e_e"

The thing I've always noticed about Geralt's clothing, and something to take into consideration when making it, is that it's made to be functional and comfortable. If you look at everything in his various outfits, they are there for a purpose. I take the same approach when doing my Ren Faire and Dicken's faire outfits. Make it practical, make it comfortable, and make it look awesome.

Regarding the chainmail, are you using riveted or non-riveted links?

gryphonosiris said:
Regarding the chainmail, are you using riveted or non-riveted links?

This one I can answer because I've been talking to Pikvogel for quite a while (I'm making my own chainmail as well and wanted to share opinions and experience) and I don't think he's been around these forums for a while.

He's using non-riveted links (and so do I).

Top Bottom