Lack of flexibility in targeting effects

+
Lack of flexibility in targeting effects

There is a multitude of cards in Gwent that only affect one side of the battlefield. Thing is, sometimes you need a negative effect on your side or a positive effect on your opponent's side. Having a restricted scope in cards' targeting means less strategic plays and work-arounds to what the opponent has to offer. I believe that if we had the ability to choose any unit and row for any card, that would give us some amazing moments (even formal strategies) and the game will be even more strategic and fun.

Some random ideas on top of my head:
-Use the negative parrot on your own side of the board to enable the wound Skellige combo.
-Use a buff on an opponent unit right before he is planning to scorch your own (he has a card he is keeping last for the full round).
-Use a commander's horn to buff a breed deck in your opponent's side, which then surpasses in strength your own units and then you scorch it all together.

What does everyone think? Should CDPR remove the restriction to target specific units and rows?

sounds like a good idea for me. however not all cards which use that kind of effect should be allowed to function on both side of the board. commander's horn should be exclusive for your side of the board. as far as other wound effects go this should be tested to see how skellige faction handles that kind of a change.

vodge;n6890940 said:
Skellige deck would become god like

Skellige cards can already target their own side.

I'm not sure it makes sense to allow this for other factions, due to the way our mechanics work you'll be forced to target yourself if there's no applicable target.

Rethas;n6891720 said:

I'm not sure it makes sense to allow this for other factions, due to the way our mechanics work you'll be forced to target yourself if there's no applicable target.

What about commanders horn? I wouldn't mind placing it on my opponents side for a scorch play :).

​Also I sent you a PM with some light reading about some stuff in the future, I'm not digging for info but would like to get my opinions out there early.

Rethas;n6891720 said:

Yeah I know, my bad anyway though, I was imagining some of the golds and silvers I use regularly to hit the opposition were neutral when they're actually not.

Rethas;n6891720 said:

The point is not to force a target selection. Just allow any effect and target to work on any unit on the battlefield, including empty rows. Using an ability wrong is like scorching your own troop, let it be there and be used accordingly. For example, why does the Tremors card affect only the opponent? I would prefer to be for both sides so Skellige could activate the wound combo. There is no point having some card affect one side while others affect both (like dimeritium bomb). It's like playing a weather card that works only on the opponent side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom