Lack of fullscreen mode kills performance on Win7

+
There is no ingame dedicated fullscreen option available at the moment for Windows 7 users.
Using the alternatives windowed, or borderless windowed, comes with a whooping performance hit of 35-50%.
It turns the game from a playable 60+ fps experience into a slideshow averaging around 30-40 fps and god beware you get into a gunfight, or you are near huge crowds, you will get constant stutter and fps drops down into single digits and full on hiccups.
Gunfights are literally unplayable because of this.

Im using the following system and settings:
- MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X
- I7-4770
- 16GB Ram
- Windows 7 (64 bit)
- Resolution = 1080p
- Graphic settings = mix of low/medium

Now comes the interesting part.
A friend of mine has nearly the exact same setup, only differences beeing that he has a Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ and Windows 10.
He has a ingame fullscreen option which he has enabled.
His average fps on medium settings are in the 50s to 60s on 1440p (!) and he barely has any fps drops and no hiccups at all.
We also encountered the same problem some time ago with COD Warzone which officially supported Win7 but in reality was unplayable on it due to the lack of a dedicated fullscreen option which introduced insane stutter and halved the fps.

It is absolutely incomprehensible to me that CDPR did advertise that Win7 is supported in their official specsheet and then not even offer absolute barebone features like a dedicated fullscreen option.
I would not have bought the game if I knew that beforehand.
Tbh I feel kinda cheated and it leaves a sour false advertisement taste in my mouth.
For people who are still on WIn7 and on the fence about getting this game, just don't, atleast for now (hopefully CDPR will fix it asap).
Spare yourself the money/trouble.

Well at least now I know it is not just a problem I have. I spent an hour trying to fix this. Why was this decision made? What is the technical reason for this limitation?

Well at least now I know it is not just a problem I have. I spent an hour trying to fix this. Why was this decision made? What is the technical reason for this limitation?
I'm pretty sure it's just some kind of "laziness"... Yes, they had these "issues" making (polishing) The Witcher 3, too... (((

On Win 10, the Fullscreen option is not exclusive fullscreen.

It's easy enough to test whether it is or not by enabling some DSR resolutions and then see if you can switch to them. I have, and they don't work. It's like this in every other DX12 game I've played.

The reason the option isn't available on Win 7 is that what the game is actually using is Win 10's new optimized Fullscreen Windowed mode that is only available in the newer version of DXGI which is part of Win 10 v1809 or higher. I assume the Win 7 port of DX12 can only use classic Borderless Windowed mode, just like how the DX12 port works in WoW: BfA.

You're not missing anything, because just like all the new DX12 games (WoW:BfA, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, RDR2, RE2/3 remakes, etc. etc.) there is no exclusive fullscreen support. DX12 and Vulkan games may be able to support FSE modes (I don't know that they can't), but none of them that I've played so far have so it seems to me like maybe they can't.

Guest 4478408

what makes you think the fps hit comes from not having fullscreen? its WAY to big a hit for that.
its much more likely that the fps hit comes from the fact that you run the game with a dx12 emulator under dx11.

anyway. win7 foever, w10 spaiware! hurdur, where is my cellpone? need to share this on social media.

Top Bottom