Lackluster romance options for gay men!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kerry is hands down the worst of the 4 options IMO. The other 3 are good, genuine people who actually care about V and Kerry comes off more as an arrogant, lazy, aggressive one night stand who doesn't really GAF about V until the epilogue (if you boned).

I mean, I do agree based off my own tastes and I am very sick of this running trope with gay male romances (lord, there's been a running forum on the Bioware forums called 'gay white knight romance' or something for about ten years now). So, yes. I do find it beyond disappointing to frankly kind of insulting that, once again, we have a wholesome, romantic straight guy and a kinky detached gay option. But I can also acknowledge that the situation is lame for everyone and also the more people you get on board for a playersexual patch, allowing more options for all, the more likely it is to happen.

I mean, I do agree based off my own tastes and I am very sick of this running trope with gay male romances (lord, there's been a running forum on the Bioware forums called 'gay white knight romance' or something for about ten years now). So, yes. I do find it beyond disappointing to frankly kind of insulting that, once again, we have a wholesome, romantic straight guy and a kinky detached gay option. But I can also acknowledge that the situation is lame for everyone and also the more people you get on board for a playersexual patch, allowing more options for all, the more likely it is to happen.
A patch would imply that I'd be able to bring myself to do another playthrough, after those endings I don't want to.

Yeah josh noticed that an tbh it sort of threw me, by the time i got round to the river quest line i had Judy as my other half, the option to say "hey im with someone" would've been great or just plain old cut me of from all other romance options when i had went the distance with someone so to speak, instead i had to sit through some pretty cringe dialogue, i suppose it could be interesting to see what happens if i accepted his advances but even in a game that shit makes me uncomfortable lol

Out of the 7 romance options, all but 2 are women and only one man is available for male V- Kerry.

Straight men have 4 options, Lesbians have 4 options, gays have 1, and bisexuals have a buffet of mostly women and 1 guy depending on whether they chose Vincent or Valerie.

River would have been the perfect man for me, but totally shut down....and it completely felt like a natural build up too. Suppose that's because they didn't want him acting differently towards male and female V except for going forward with a romance option.

River would have been the perfect man for me, but totally shut down....and it completely felt like a natural build up too. Suppose that's because they didn't want him acting differently towards male and female V except for going forward with a romance option.
I haven't even met River in my playthrough, but I'm kinda glad i didn't now. Would have felt even more betrayed by the game if it lures me into thinking there will be something, only to turn me down...

Kerry really feels like a token gay character for me. I felt Panam's relationship was a lot smoother and natural build up than Kerry. And in the end he doesn't even have any influence on the main story.

Fallout 4 was basically the worst rpg I've ever played with the worst companions and romances I've experienced. Shallow, empty, boring, I could go on and on with it. I'm glad other companies don't take notes from Bethesda when it comes to these things.

Oh, not to mention that bi options in BioWare games aren't great either. Same dialogue options, same romance scenes. I still remember how I decided to romance Peebee in Andromeda as female Ryder and when romance scene played... my god, that was awful copy/paste from Peebee/MaleRyder scene. It looked like FemRyder had a penis during that scene. It was god-awful. That's why I hate playersexual/bi options. They're lazy copy/paste things with nothing new regarding protagonists gender.

Again, so grateful Judy is a lesbian. The whole romance was made specifically for two women.

Last edited:
Hey I mostly agree with the heterosexuals guys here. I don't care about representation overall I don't like that you can give male V a Vagina or female V a penis. To me that's just messed up, but I might have to try picking a female V with Male V's voice to romance River. I don't care about a movement. I care for quality gaming. That said throwing Kerry at us gay gamers is low. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best option period no question for a gay romance option would have been River. Not this gay stereotype. Quite honestly I find flaming homosexuals annoying, that's not an insult nor meant to be that's my personal opinion. I'm into strong men of character men like River. If I were straight Panam would have been my choice hands down out of all the girls. Lesbian clearly Judy, but you got the gay choice all wrong which is extremely disappointing.

If you were going down this very inclusive route I would have preferred you to have us pick Vs sexuality at the beginning that way I wouldn't have to worry about Meredith trying to jump my bones and for some reason having V play along. That could actually make for a very interesting encounter.

All this said while I felt my heart torn from my chest when when River shot me down I do appreciate that. You know why? Because it did like a good story should it makes you feel something makes you invested. I hate that it hurt I wanted him to be my soul mate, but it wasn't meant to be. It would have been nice to carry that hurt with V and find him someone else to romance. Sadly in this world no such person exists Kerry is very much not even an option.

Moderator: That's quite enough of that discussion. Multiple posts deleted. Please, respect one another, even if you disagree.

Hey I mostly agree with the heterosexuals guys here. I don't care about representation overall I don't like that you can give male V a Vagina or female V a penis. To me that's just messed up, but I might have to try picking a female V with Male V's voice to romance River. I don't care about a movement. I care for quality gaming. That said throwing Kerry at us gay gamers is low. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best option period no question for a gay romance option would have been River. Not this gay stereotype. Quite honestly I find flaming homosexuals annoying, that's not an insult nor meant to be that's my personal opinion. I'm into strong men of character men like River. If I were straight Panam would have been my choice hands down out of all the girls. Lesbian clearly Judy, but you got the gay choice all wrong which is extremely disappointing.

If you were going down this very inclusive route I would have preferred you to have us pick Vs sexuality at the beginning that way I wouldn't have to worry about Meredith trying to jump my bones and for some reason having V play along. That could actually make for a very interesting encounter.

All this said while I felt my heart torn from my chest when when River shot me down I do appreciate that. You know why? Because it did like a good story should it makes you feel something makes you invested. I hate that it hurt I wanted him to be my soul mate, but it wasn't meant to be. It would have been nice to carry that hurt with V and find him someone else to romance. Sadly in this world no such person exists Kerry is very much not even an option.
Agreed very much. I personally would have only accepted the heartache from River if we were to find someone else who could fill that void through a natural story progress.

But Kerry is not even that. I had to put the main campaign on pause in order to chase down the side quests that give me access to Kerry. (Which btw I wouldn't have even know about if I didn't intentionally look up gay romance options online) Then literally grind my way through the quest, drive around aimlessly with time skipping to trigger the follow up quests, which btw felt like forever.. only to find a build up that didn't feel natural, didn't feel good... and after the sex scene led to nowhere... I was not happy with it... but it was the only option we were given.

The topic of this thread is about the options in the game. Please, stick to the game.

I feel that the options for "romance" (in both number and quality) are largely irrelevant. Doubly so when the game is as broken as it is. For comparison's sake, the best romance I've ever read in a game was in Disco Elysium, because that whole game was a vehicle for a story about a heartbroken man who couldn't let go. Planescape: Torment did a good job with Deionarra's tale and the various companion interactions. Even Baldur's Gate 2 had quality writing for some of them, Viconia's specifically, because you could actually mess them up if you weren't paying attention to the character.

In other words, a "We'll bang, OK?" button isn't a "romance" option. Even if it takes multiple clicks to get there. It's still a tickbox. And that's the vibe I get from CP2077.

And still I maintain my opinion that they should fix the game first, focus on performance and optimisation and worry about all the other stuff when it actually works.

I feel that the options for "romance" (in both number and quality) are largely irrelevant. Doubly so when the game is as broken as it is. For comparison's sake, the best romance I've ever read in a game was in Disco Elysium, because that whole game was a vehicle for a story about a heartbroken man who couldn't let go. Planescape: Torment did a good job with Deionarra's tale and the various companion interactions. Even Baldur's Gate 2 had quality writing for some of them, Viconia's specifically, because you could actually mess them up if you weren't paying attention to the character.

In other words, a "We'll bang, OK?" button isn't a "romance" option. Even if it takes multiple clicks to get there. It's still a tickbox. And that's the vibe I get from CP2077.

And still I maintain my opinion that they should fix the game first, focus on performance and optimisation and worry about all the other stuff when it actually works.
I agree that the quality of the romance stories can and should be improved. But there is no denying that some love interests were written with much more care and detail.

And I don't see what you are saying. Noone says CDPR needs to throw everything aside until they gives us another gay love interest... we just want their attention on the fact that the options presented don't feel the same quality.

Also devs can work on bugs while writers brainstorm on story ideas for future ideas...
I don't understand why do you treat this topic like it a choice: gays or gameplay.
That is not what we are asking.

I agree that the quality of the romance stories can and should be improved. But there is no denying that some love interests were written with much more care and detail.

And I don't see what you are saying. Noone says CDPR needs to throw everything aside until they gives us another gay love interest... we just want their attention on the fact that the options presented don't feel the same quality.

Also devs can work on bugs while writers brainstorm on story ideas for future ideas...
I don't understand why do you treat this topic like it a choice: gays or gameplay.
That is not what we are asking.

Uneven writing is sadly a constant when you write by committee. Perhaps the person on the team assigned to the job just didn't wanna do it or didn't have enough experience with the subject matter to write it well. It happens. And it sucks, so I feel you.

I'm not treating it like a choice, I just feel like it's a largely irrelevant thing to mention in the face of what has been a pretty disastrous launch.

Uneven writing is sadly a constant when you write by committee. Perhaps the person on the team assigned to the job just didn't wanna do it or didn't have enough experience with the subject matter to write it well. It happens. And it sucks, so I feel you.

I'm not treating it like a choice, I just feel like it's a largely irrelevant thing to mention in the face of what has been a pretty disastrous launch.
People have the right to mention it tho. There are countless threads already about bugs and feature cuts and performance issues. Same for main story feedback and romance impact in general. A post about gay male options won't take away the importance from those.

People have the right to mention it tho. There are countless threads already about bugs and feature cuts and perdormance issues. Same for main story feedback and romance impact in general. A post about gay male options won't take away the importance from those.

Of course they do. Never said they didn't. The flip side to that coin is that I have as much right to respond by saying "I don't think it matters".

Shallow, empty, boring, I could go on and on with it.
So your assertion is that CDPR wouldn't be able to do any better than these other studios or that player-sexual characters are inherently inferior? If the scenes and dialogue don't change at all the only thing making them inferior would be your own biases and perception of the characters.

Personally I prefer more options as a player. Whether I am on a male or female V I would want the option to pursue which ever romance I want. But they are locked off by gender for "reasons".

So your assertion is that CDPR wouldn't be able to do any better than these other studios or that player-sexual characters are inherently inferior? If the scenes and dialogue don't change at all the only thing making them inferior would be your own biases and perception of the characters.

Personally I prefer more options as a player. Whether I am on a male of female V I would want the option to pursue which ever romance I want. But they are locked off by gender for "reasons".

The reason was to make the characters feel more organic and real. If every romanceable character was essentially pan/bi, there would be no gay or lesbian characters.

Personally I prefer more options as a player. Whether I am on a male of female V I would want the option to pursue which ever romance I want. But they are locked off by gender for "reasons".

"Reasons"? So people's sexual orientations in real world are also "reasons"?

No. These specific characters were written that way, because writers saw them as lesbian/gay/hetero. Just because you don't like it, that doesn't mean it's a wrong decision. While I agree that there should be more options, new romances should be added, not just pressing a magic button to make everyone like the same thing and make them shallow like companions from F4.

And no, I don't believe CDPR would do a better job than BioWare and Bethesda with playersexual romances. Not while they apparently even have problems if a certain character is straight or gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom