Ladies, let's share gaming histories

+
Ladies, let's share gaming histories

Kindled by the current discussion about gaming women and games appealing to women, I'd like to share my gaming history and ask you to do the same. How many cooking mommas and dancing sisters are really in our midst?

The first video games I played were

• Tetris and
  • Arkanoid. Heh.
  • There was also a childhood deviation named Leisure Suite Larry (pretty sexist, but him being such a loser made it all okay)
  • Eventually I moved on to strategy - Civilization I through IV.
  • Indiana Jones - the old adventures and the 3D action, same with the
  • Broken Sword series. First really big love was this woman named
  • Lara Croft - played all Tomb Raider titles plus tons of user made games. Looking forward to the reboot, too.
  • Then a certain Prince of Persia caught my attention - played every game since SoT.
  • Also enjoyed a number of City Builder games and
  • both Black & White games.
  • A lot of Adventures (favorite: The Longest Journey/Dreamfall of which the former is a 2D adventure and the latter an action adventure).
  • Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy), which kind of defies categories.
  • Oh, and here's the shocker: I actually played The Sims (1,2,3)! Though I was mainly in it for the modding (like a lot of guys are, too)
  • Titan Quest (still on the notebook for when I don't have the pc) and Loki (the old H&S one)
  • It took a while to get into the RPG genre, but eventually I let myself be talked into trying Oblivion. And that was that.
  • Second RPG was (surprise!) The Witcher.
  • Gothic III and
  • Risen (btw. sparkling example of a dev team without any women, I thought it was pretty pathetic), some Gothic II.
  • Some Morrowind, some NWN II and BG (those are still on my list to play more of ) and Nehrim (fan made game on the Oblivion engine... showing how great it could've been *g*)
  • Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2
  • Two Worlds
  • Divinity II
  • Drakensang 1+2
  • Venetica
  • Assassins Creed 2
  • Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2 (ahem... )
  • The Witcher 2
  • Demon's Souls
  • Dark Souls
I might edit in some more later if I remember important ones I forgot, but I think that's a pretty comprehensive account of my taste in games. I don't feel it's particularly girly and I don't lie when I say that I've never even tried a WII game (I had opportunity). Except for ME, I didn't play any shooters, either, but I am quite convinced that I didn't miss out all that much.

Now, what kinds of games did the other ladies of these forums play?

Takes some thought to remember them all :)

- Original Atari console arcade-style games like Space Invaders
- The original "Adventure" game (mainframe and then Apple II)
- Leisure Suit Larry :)
- Some game on the first Mac that involved a lot of ladders. I can't remember its name.
- A whole bunch of instantly forgettable "Adventure" games in the '90s
- Tetris
- Minesweeper (good to play at work)
- Solitaire
- Sudoku (also good to play at work. I got addicted to this during a particularly quiet spell)
- Bejewelled
- A few other instantly forgettable puzzle games
- Civilisation (several versions)
- Railroads (original version only)
- Wizardry (all of them)
- Morrowind
- Oblivion
- Dragon Age Origins, Awakenings and DA2
- Witcher 1 and 2
- Deus Ex HR

The nearest I ever got to a "girly" game was one about setting up a pizza parlour that involved recipes. I only played it for a few hours so I'm not including it. The same applies to The Sims.

List all the games? :C I do have a near complete list and it's around 220 games.

- Tetris was definitely my first game and console, I owned one of those handhelds that had a few primitive variations of tetris, snake, racing and intruders.
- fell in love with my friend's Sega Mega Drive 2, got my own for my 8th birthday. I won't list all the games I played on it...
- my first computer game was Tomb Raider 3: The Lost Artifact. I've played all TR games and expansions (except Anniversary, I think?) Also looking forward to Reboot!
- I had a few kiddie games, like Hercules, Lion King and 3D Tarzan, that one was very fun.
- borrowed friend's Broken Sword 2 and found my new love, point and click adventure games. I still consider them my core gaming interest.
- played Warcraft 3 with some friends from school
- got hooked onto Morrowind in high school, spent 2 years in there... with one character. :| It was my first RPG.

Now let me pull games from my list that are among faves!
- 999 (horror adventure/visual novel for NDS)
- Ankh (very funny adventure game)
- I have some hours in Audiosurf
- Batman AA
- Beyond Good & Evil (it is soooo amazing, I really hope they are working on that sequel)
- Bioshock (one of the few rare FPS games that don't make me motion-sick)
- Black Mirror I & II. Tried III, it was one awful disaster. Otherwise okay horror series.
- Borderlands
- Braid
- Britney's Dance Beat, aww yeaaaa
- ALL OF THE BROKEN SWORDS. George Stobbart was my first videogame crush ;__;
- Champions Online, tho I treat it like a big dressing room :/
- Chime, a very relaxing casual music game
- Commander Keen, not sure which ones exactly
- Condemned: Criminal Origins (a GREAT horror FPS adventure. it had one scene that made literally jump out of my seat, never happened before or after)
- Devil May Cry 3 & 4
- Dino Crisis 2
- The Longest Journey + Dreamfall, both excellent
- Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy). very good concept that got ruined by some shitty nonsensical plot twist.
- Tale of Tales 'art' games: The Endless Forest, FATALE, The Path, The Graveyard. I'm a big fan :]
- Final Fantasy VII & VIII
- Ghost Trick (very creative adventure for NDS, also available for iOS)
- Gray Matter (I love it so much!)
- Guild Wars, tho I'm casual about it
- Hotel Dusk + The Last Window (NDS detective adventures/visual novels)
- Jazz Jackrabbit 2!
- Left 4 Dead
- Legacy of Kain series
- Max Payne 1 & 2
- Metal Gear Solid 1-4
- Monkey Island... 3, I think. The one with El Polo Diablo.
- Oni
- Benoit Sokal/White Birds adventures: Syberia 1 & 2, Nikopol, Paradise (that one's a disaster), Sinking Island
- Plants vs Zombies!
- Portal 1 & 2
- Post Mortem + Still Life, horror detective adventures/my favourite series
- Professor Layton 1-4. Solve all the puzzles!
- Psychonauts
- various Raymans
- Rule of Rose
- Runaway 1-3
- Sam & Max... all of them. Original LucasArts game remains my fave, though.
- Sanitarium (an adventure everyone needs to play)
- Scratches (horror adventure, Amnesia has nothing on its eerie atmosphere)
- Scribblenauts! Solve everything with a pegasus and a rope!
- Silent Hill 1-4 + SH Mobile
- The Lost Crown, another excellent horror adventure
- The Witcher, obviously
- Thief 3... will play 1 and 2 soon.
- Toejam & Earl 2
- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
- World of Goo
- Zen Bound 2, a very relaxing casual game

and of course The Sims 1 & 2, I really enjoyed creating houses and characters. I don't think I ever actually played the game, except that one time I made a teen girl named Eerie who moved into people's houses, killed them and resurrected them as zombies. My goal was to zombify EVERYONE, but I got bored after three houses :(

Er, yeah. Playing Deus Ex rn and enjoying it a lot. What is life? D:

Heh, my list is much shorter. Other than playing in arcades when I was a teenager and a few years on a MUSH (text-based RPG), I only started playing video games in 2009 with Fallout 3. I've played Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Witcher 1 and 2. I've tried some shooters because I like military stuff, but didn't like the twitchy pace and shallowness. I dabbled with some RTS games and didn't like them, either.

Oh- I got a ways into Bioshock but had to quit because it was giving me migraines. That was sad. I was loving that game.

Um...Well I don’t think I’m going to be able to remember every game I played especially since I got a lot of the old ones from by brother but off the top of my head in a very rough order:
Croc
GeX
Creatures
I get given some Barbie horse riding game at one point but didn’t really play it. (it was given to me by an aunt who knows little about me)
In the hunt
Doom
Red alert
Tomb raider
Bulders gate 1 and 2 (replaying that now)
Icewind dale 1 and 2
Neverwinter night
Civilisation
Counter strike
Half life
Portal
Quake 2
Diablo 2
Heroes of might and magic (not sure which one)
Tarzan
Spyro
Primal
Morrowind
Prince of Persia (sands of time, warrior within and whatever the last one was called)
Lord of the rings: the two towers
Dungeon siege
Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines
Guild wars (casualy)
Condemned
Splinter Cell
Oblivion
Devil may cry (3? I think)
Bioshock 1 and 2
Oblivion
Thief 3
Fallout 3
Tomb raider: Legends
Dragon age origins
Halo
Assassins creed
Mass effect 1 and 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl,
Dead space
Mirrors edge.
Tomb raider: underworld
The recent Prince of Persia (god that sucked)
The Witcher and the Witcher 2 (Obviously)
Portal 2
Chronicles of Riddick (I knew it would be bad but it was on sale)
Trine
Metro 2033
Amnesia: the dark descent
Alice: madness returns
Batman Arkham asylum
Penumbra (all 3)
Dues ex: HR (missed out on the first games tho, I should play them at some point)
Skyrim
Also screwed around with various fighting games and MMO’s but I don't play them very much.
I borrowed a friends DS and played some very girly rhythm game and enjoyed it. I don’t know what it was called.

Atalyah said:
I borrowed a friends DS and played some very girly rhythm games and enjoyed it. I don’t what it was called
Elite Beat Agents? I loved that one, it's so funny and addictive, although I suck at rhythm games.

Dona said:
Elite Beat Agents? I loved that one, it's so funny and addictive, although I suck at rhythm games.
No it wasn't that one, but now that you mention I have played that as well. How could I forget that game? it was hilarious!
(and I also suck at rhythm games but they are addictive anyway )

Oh that’s what it was called, Kira Kira Pop Princess...don't judge me.
I should get a DS just for rhythm games but I would never get any work done if I did!

Atalyah said:
I get given some Barbie horse riding game at one point but didn’t really play it. (it was given to me by and aunt who knows little about me)

Snicker.
Aren't aunts wonderful?

dragonbird said:
Snicker.
Aren't aunts wonderful?
oh yes, it’s the thought that counts and she probably thinks the same of the gifts I give her. Her gifts are always good for a laugh at least, I’m not sure if she actually realises how old I am (20). Last Christmas she gave me a far too small pink tube top with a butterfly on it.

I've played far too many games to remember them all :p I started playing games when I was in elementary school (my dad bought a computer and some games). My first real games were Duke Nukem and Xargon, plus a lot of Living Books (interactive children's stories). And then Commander Keen :D (all of them :p) and Freddi Fish. I also spent a lot of time on Myst when we got that, and we had some shareware discs that had hundreds of games or game demos on them (like Hugo House of Horrors and a lot of 2D platforming games).

I guess I'll try to make a list like everyone else did but I know I'll leave a lot out. I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I also have a 360, Wii, PS2 and DSi so I'll try to organize it by platform, and I'll sub-organize PC by genre (but my genre definitions are very broad here and just for convenience's sake, not to redefine any genres :p). I also compulsively buy games if there's a good sale so I have a lot of games that I haven't played yet. Therefore I will only include games that I've completed unless otherwise noted :p

PC:

Adventure:
Myst (all of them)
Nancy Drew games
Gabriel Knight 3
Scratches
Monkey Island 1-4
Crystal Key
The Messenger
Buried in Time
Scratches
Dark Fall
A Frankenstein game with Tim Curry live-acted in it :p
A Mummy game that came with it
The Longest Journey 1-2
Dracula (three of them)
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Lots of other random ones that I can't remember the names of

RPG:
Diablo 1-2
Nox
Septerra Core
Final Fantasy VII
Dungeon Siege
Kotor 1-2
Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Deus Ex (all three)
Fallout 3
Witcher 1-2 (obviously :p)
Oblivion
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 1-2
Risen
Icarus
Dungeon Defenders
Torchlight

RTS:
StarCraft 1-2
Dungeon Keeper 1-2
Sacrifice
Populous: The Beginning
Dark Reign

Action-Adventure and/or Shooter:
Tomb Raider (all of them)
Legacy of Kain series (all of them)
Croc 2
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia (the four Sands of Time games and the 2008 game)
Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare
Resident Evil 5
Daikatana
Devil May Cry 3
Arkham Asylum and Arkham City
L.A. Noire (currently in progress)
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
American McGee's Alice 1-2
Scrapland
Beyond Good and Evil
Mafia 1-2
Left 4 Dead 1-2

Indie:
Plants vs. Zombies
World of Goo
Bastion
Braid
Limbo
Magicka
Puzzle Quest
Hydrophobia
SpaceChem

PS2:
Primal
Rule of Rose
Kingdom Hearts 1-2
God of War 1-2
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Jak and Daxter (all three)
Spyro (PS1)
Akuji the Heartless (PS1)

Xbox and Xbox 360:
Bioshock 1-2
Darksiders
Red Dead Redemption
Dark Souls (still in progress, about halfway through :p)
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (Xbox)
Max Payne 1-2 (Xbox)
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy (Xbox)
Jade Empire (Xbox)
Dark Watch (Xbox)
Gears of War 1-2
Dead Space
Condemned 1-2
Dark Sector
The Darkness
Assassin's Creed 1-2
Overlord 1-2

Wii and GameCube:
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GC)
Geist (GC)
Ocarina of Time (GC port of the original)
Twilight Princess
Okami (I just realized I need to finish it XD I moved the Wii to a different room and got distracted)
Dead Space: Extraction
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Zak and Wiki (never finished it, but might someday)
Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
Super Mario Galaxy

DSi: (haven't finished most of these because I usually only play my DSi while traveling)
Brain Age
Hotel Dusk (actually did finish)
Pokemon SoulSilver
Phoenix Wright
Overlord: Minions
Prince of Persia: Forgotten King (I think that's the name)
Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles (or something like that)

My list is about three miles long but I think I've put about five years of my childhood life into the Sly Raccoon series and Super Mario Sunshine. Now I'm into The Witcher 2.

Cool.

@DelithfulMcCoy

Nice idea!

Nice to see that we played the same games :p

Here's my list (not so long as yours)

Alex Kidd (on Sega MAster System II, I was ten I think LOL)
Sonic 2
Michael Jackson Moonwalker (don't hurt me)
Golden axe
Curse of Monkey Island
Resident Evil 2
Tomb Raider (full series except the last two titles - I also think that this game is pretty sexist too)
Leisure Suite Larry (it was funny)
Sam and Max
Grim Fandango
Prince of Persia
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee
Another world
The dig
Baldur's Gate series + expansions
Planescape: Torment
Icewind dale series + expansions
Temple of Elemental Evil
Dungeon Keeper
NwN 1 and 2 series + expansions
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 1-2
The Witcher series (of course :) )
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Fable: The Lost Chapter
Assassin Creed 1 and 2
Dark Messiah
Vampire TM: Redemption and Bloodlines
TES: Oblivion (hated)
Black and White series
The Settlers II
Theme Park
American McGee's Alice
Alice: Madness Returns
Undying by Clive Barker
Thief 3
Deus Ex (never played the latest)
Avencast
Drakensang (neat)
Penumbra: The Black Plague
Blood
Doom
Quake (all these latest three, the very early versions)
Divine Divinity
Fallout
Dungeon Siege
Sacred and expansion
Diablo II and expansion
Jade Empire
MDK (first version)
The Need for Speed
LOTR the Return of the King
GTA
One of the Star Wars series ( I do not remember the title, the one with the races :) )
Sanitarium (deluded)
Trine 2
Overlord
Bejeweled
Plants vs Zombies
Angry Birds (..becoz it's on my man's Android)

... Think I'm missing somethin :(

I didn't list the demos, of course or the list would be longer :D

Thanks for making this thread, it's really interesting to see what you girls have played so far. : ) I'll try my best to remember most of the games I actually finished. I've never tried to make a list like this, this will be fun.

My family had a 386 and 486 when we were kids and we played a lot of DOS classics with my brothers (Wolf3D, Doom, Bomberman, Shokoban, Prehistorik 1-2 etc.), and we had Tetris and Gameboy like most kids in those days, but I only started playing "seriously" around the age of twelve, toward the end of elementary school. A friend from my class showed me Tomb Raider 3 and there was no escape anymore... The first time I beat it at her place, then I got my own Pentium II from my parents, those were the times... My best friends always came round to play UT on max graphics settings because I had an S3 Savage4 VGA that allowed us to enable ultra-detailed textures. :D
Since then I had two other PCs and bought a PS2 and a Gamecube a few years ago, but didn't really use them because my TV sucks and I actually played most of my console games on PC with PCSX2 and Dolphin. :p

Here's the list, in bold are my favourites and the ones that made a lasting impression on me, and I made a comment on everything just to make it harder to read:

Alan Wake (Finland - the game)
Aliens vs. Predator 2 ("Jesus... oh God God God" - I loved being an alien but the marine campaign is the best)
American McGee's Alice (didn't play it for the gameplay, but for everything else)
Baldur's Gate 2 (never finished the first one, but I will!)
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (great puzzles and horrible voice-acting made it memorable)
Alpha Protocol ("I'm running out of people to piss off.")
Bard's Tale (one of the funniest games I've ever played and Tony Jay is the narrator)
Blood 2: The Chosen ("I LIVE... AGAIN!!" - Caleb is such a psycho badass)
Broken Sword 1-2 (DONA, you're being me again, I'm sure I loved George first! :D)
Call of Duty (yeah, I beat the very first one)
Clive Barker's Undying (dem visions, not much sleep afterwards)
Cold Fear (Resident Evil 4 lite, but an awesome game nonetheless)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (I'm not into RTS games at all, but this and Warcraft 2-3 were great)
Croc 1-2 (one of the few games I played together with my brothers)
Cryostasis (greatest surprise ever)
Darksiders (teh ultimate compilation of great videogames)
Dead Space 1-2 (meh space horror, but you can STOMP)
Devil May Cry 3 (played 1 and 2 as well, but never finished those, weren't KUH-RAYZEE enough)
Duke Nukem 3D (*insert your favourite Duke quote here*)
Dungeon Siege (man, it was boring)
Diablo 1-2 (ideal to play while being down with the flu, not much thinking involved)
Disciples 2 (the "really pretty" Heroes)
Dragon Age 1-2 (I liked Origins, even if it wasn't too original, lol)
Drakan: Order of the Flame (medieval Lara on a dragon chopping/burning orcs, how awesome is that?)
Fatal Frame 1-4 (all-time favourite horror series)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (break all the chairs!!)
Half-Life + Blue Shift (just gimme a crowbar)
Heroes of Might and Magic series (mostly the third)
Icewind Dale (Baldur's Gate lite with Jeremy Soule's music)
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit (great and innovative game with unforgivable endings, zombie sex and secret hobo society)
Kingpin: Life of Crime (oh man, I can't even explain this one)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1-2 + Defiance (great series with exceptional story-writing)
Mass Effect 1-3 (romance all the aliens!)
Max Payne 1-2 (JOHN MIRRA)
Monkey Island 3 (I seriously need to play the first two, I can see why this series is a cult classic)
Mortal Kombat 4 (and the previous three occasionally)
Need For Speed 3, Porsche Unleashed, Underground
Neverhood ("evrbody whayleeee")
Neverwinter Nights (my elven druid could turn into a DRAGON, but even that didn't help Aribeth)
Okami (and I just resisted the urge to link "Shinshu Plains" from the OST)
Omikron: The Nomad Soul (the first game from the devs of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain)
Oni (kick ass as a Kusanagi-lookalike)
Outcast (fantastic action/adventure game and GODLIKE soundtrack)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (and almost finished Edgey-Poo's stand-alone game)
Prince of Persia 1-2 (both the old and the new ones)
Prince of Persia 2008 (pretty, but a bit boring)
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Portal 1-2 (I'm glad GlaDOS chose me as her test subject)
Rayman 2 (amazing music)
realMyst (never played the original and the rest of the series but I'm really interested in it)
Resident Evil 1-5 (I can't possibly count how many times I beat Resident Evil 2)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Claire's game with cross-dressing)
Resident Evil Zero (Billy, when will you return??)
Resident Evil Remake (I bought a Gamecube for this and RE Zero)
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (railshooting fun with lots of Wesker)
Severance: Blade of Darkness (absolutely loved it, but the amount of gore was unusual to me back then)
Shadow of the Colossus (this game completely enchanted me and again, GODLIKE soundtrack)
Silent Hill 1-4 + Homecoming (will finish Origins asap)
Splinter Cell + Pandora Tomorrow (can't find my Chaos Theory disc anywhere D:)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (I'll never forget the Rancor level)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1-2 (KOTOR1 introduced the "Carth" character type to Bioware games)
Tekken 5 (the Chinese guys were the best, Lee Chaolan has many combos and I used to know them all)
The Book of Unwritten Tales (adorable adventure game, just a little too short)
TES Morrowind ("We're watching you, scum.")
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (loved every minute of it and Wind Waker's in progress)
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall ("The" Adventure Game and April Ryan is my heroine)
The Sims (the "cooking mama" of my list, lol)
The Witcher 1-2 (is an explanation even needed? :p)
Thief 1-3 (especially the first two by Looking Glass Studios, they were geniuses)
Tomb Raider series (played all of it, my favourites are TR 1-3)
Unreal Tournament '99 (we played it too much)
Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption (one of my first RPGs and I love this game more than Bloodlines)
Vampire: Bloodlines (a game with lots of bugs and possibilities, I enjoyed my Malkavian walkthrough the most)

+ tons of other games I tried/almost finished/abandoned/want to finish someday.

All-time favourite game: Thief 1-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfUjCCFontE

Let's do this list because I'm also curios about how long it will end being:

ALL PC games, and not in order, just aprox. And of course not finished all of them, '*' means finished:

* Tetris (we all started with this oen or it is the one we remember the most?)
* Blocks 3D
* Abadia del Crimen (sorry, spanish isometric adventure game)
- Platoon (my first action game?)
* Midwinter
- Dark heart of Uukrull (got stuck in a puzzle)
- Shadowlands
* Betrayal at Krondor & Return to Krondor
* Eye of the Beholder I & II
- Ishar 1 & 2
* Lands of Lore I, II & III
- Ultima 7, 8, 9
* The longest Journey
- Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis
- The indiana jones before that one too
- Monkey Island 1
* Ultima Underworld 1 & 2

secondchildren said:
And oh...add Street Fighters and Mortal Kombat to my list :D

I knew that I was missing something
Ha, thanks, I totally forgot about Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur. :D

secondchildren said:
And oh...add Street Fighters and Mortal Kombat to my list :D

I knew that I was missing something

If you buy SSF4 for PC let me know and we'll trade GFWL ID's. We can duke it out. :)

You mean... this duke?

LOL

(kidding)

OMG I just realised... all these years I've thought Duke Nukem and the dude from early Doom games are the same guy :|

Top Bottom