Lag near quest "flags"

+
Lag near quest "flags"

I've noticed that when I'm a distance, say 500 yards or so, from a quest activation site or point of interest, the game may randomly start micro-stuttering. Once I get to the actual site and trigger the dialogue/cutscene/combat, the lag vanishes completely. I tried to do a couple of captures, but the stutter doesn't appear clearly in the video...sorry! It's not game-breaking yet, but it would be impossible to control combat with this lag. (It's similar to the horse-stutter when trotting, except it starts to magnify the closer you get to the site. [And it happens on foot, too.])

Example of the issue in White Orchard:

After speaking to the two NPCs about the griffin, I return to the tavern to speak with Vesemir. Around the time I reach the smith's cottage, the stutter is barely noticeable. By the time I pass the smithy, it's very noticeable. It's quite bad as I approach the tavern. Once I enter dialogue with Vesemir about setting the trap, the game is liquid smooth again.

The same thing happens to various degrees in the following White Orchard areas, as well:
- the Place of Power guarded by the bear.
- approaching the "merchant" near the swamp who asks you to retrieve his strongbox.
- the bandit camp in the middle of the woods to the southeast. (Once they detect Geralt, the lag vanishes...thank god. Those woods are quite laggy already!)

Other areas in White Orchard seem fine. It also happens in areas around Velen, though far less frequently. This never occurred at all over two full playthroughs prior to 1.08, so I wonder what was changed in the scripting engine?

Top Bottom