Lag/stuttering

+
Hi, I got the witcher 3 on the steam summer sale and it ran on ultra at 55+ fps and now I bounce from 60-40 which causes stutters. Please help because I hate the stutters.

My specs
Gtx 1060
i7-7700hq
16gb ram
and my games is on my ssd

Check out these suggestions:

In general, the stuttering is mostly caused by frame-timing issues. Try setting the following:

In-Game Settings:
- Resolution = 1080p
- Fullscreen
-Vsync = On
- Frame Limit = 60 or LESS

GPU Control Panel Settings:
- Vsync = Controlled by the 3D application
- Maximum frames to render ahead = 1
- Monitor Refresh Rate = 60

I also strongly recommend editing your user.settings file and manually set FPSLimit=48. I've experienced utterly flawless framerates this way. Your eye will adjust to the "chop" in the distance very quickly, but I've received rock-solid 48 FPS everywhere on my 980 ti (1920x1080, Ultra settings + shadow tweaks for increased draw distance, Hairworks off). You can also try values of 50, 52, 54, and 58, as these seem to be the sweet spots for various games.

If running with any sort of overclocking, disable it while playing TW3. The game really doesn't like to cooperate with it. Unlimited FPS will also introduce issues for many users. TW3's engine is about sync and stability while managing 1.7 kabillion things...not screaming FPS. It wants to run at 30. It will humor up to 60. Anything over that will cause issues eventually, even if they're little ones.

Thank you for posting that. I've recently finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey and thought I'd try out TW3 with my RTX2080Ti, but the frame rates were all over the place, on the same setting level as my previous system which was the same PC but with 2x 980Ti's. I didn't realise overclocking didn't play nicely with Wild Hunt. I also had frame rate set to Unlimited, because I'd read that that "frees" the GPU.

Appreciate it - might try it out with your suggestions tonight.

PC Specs

RTX 2080 Ti Non OC
I7 7700k No OC
NVME 2 samsung evo 970 1TB
16gb ram dual channel 3200mhz
Power: EVGA 1300w 80 Gold
Drops from 60 to 55-58 , my rig should run fine

Still giving Stuttering, 4k game in ultra, my setup is more than enough to run the game quietly at full speed, even though not using mods the game still gives these frametime problems, I tried to get back the driver, did all the internet fix and nothing, could the developers help me with this? I am playing on a 60hz monitor with G-sync enabled, tried to shrink the frame or lock however without changing the problem.

Drops from 60 to 55-58 , my rig should run fine

This would not even be detectable. Holding 55-60 FPS is blazing performance. Anything from 50-60 FPS at 1080p would be absolutely magnificent performance. A drop of 5 FPS from 60 is not an issue.

If you're experinencing visually noticeable stutter, it's not coming from the framerate, but from another process. As is referenced here, you're looking for the sweet spot to smooth out the frame-timing, not trying to increase your FPS. (Either that, or there's a problem somewhere in the drivers / firmware / BIOS.)

Whatever it is, it will be system-specific, so what works flawlessly for one person may have no effect at all for the next.

So, the settings I want to pay attention to are these:

In-Game Settings:
- Resolution = 1080p
- Fullscreen vs. Windowed / Borderless
-Vsync = On vs. Off
- Frame Limit = 60 or LESS (This isn't the case with all games, but I've not managed to troubleshoot things above 60 FPS for TW3.)

- Maximum frames to render ahead = 1 (Great tweak to avoid dropped frames.)

The key is to systematically move through all combinations of settings, looking for any sort of change. A change indicates that some part of that process is affected by that setting. 3rd-party utilities like RTSS or Nvidia Inspector offer different methodologies for things like Vsync -- so turning it off in-game and on through the util may yield different results.

Just as an example: on my desktop rig, 1080p, Fullscreen, Vsync On in-game, Ultra settings (Hairworks Off), Frame Limit manually set to 48 through user.settings, provides rock-solid performance. I'll still see FPS fluctuate at the decimal level, and it may stutter for a second while things load occasionally, but that's just how the engine works. The experience is flawless -- perforamce in all areas. The PC itself (i7-4790K, GTX 980 ti, 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM, and a Samsung EVO SSD) maintains 50-60 FPS across the board, but the frame-timing won't cooperate. The lock at 48 syncs it up.

Now, if I lock FPS at 60, I get regular, random hitching for about 3 seconds that will occur every 10-20 seconds. If I turn Vsync off, I'll get one, big hitch ever few seconds consistently. If I switch to Windowed / Borderless, the game will run fine for about 10 seconds, then have a microstuttering "fit" that lasts for a second or two. If I run the game with the settings I listed, it works beautifully. (On my gaming laptop, I don't have any issues whatsoever anymore. Even though it's a laptop and the hardware is from 2013, the game runs without any hint of hitching. Although...it DID hitch during the version 1.0x days. Which I solved by forcing a frame cap of 60 through NVInspector instead of in-game, if I remember right. Like I said, it will be system specific.)

Especially with 4K and Ultra settings drops from 60 to 55 sound pretty good. Small drops like that are pretty normal. But yeah, you could limit the framerate and avoid the issue that way...

Other than that, it‘s possible that rolling back to an older GPU driver version can also improve things.

The problem is not falling off the frame, but when it drops to 59 and 58 stuttering, my computer is strong enough to run smoothly in 4k, even with no mods the game suffers from stutterings, even with the lowest possible graphics, all my drivers are updated with the latest versions, I don't have nvidia experience installed or steam overlay, the game is installed on a 3.5gb / sec transfer NVME2 SSD, i am using gsync in the game, and the frames locked at 59 because the frametime line is stable, i use maxprerender at 8 through nvidia inspector, i will test use v-sync as suggested and pass them the verdict.

My complete Setup

i7 7700k non OC
DDR4 3200mhz dual channel
RTX 2080 Ti Gainward GS non OC
NVME 2 Samsung Evo Plus 970 1 TB
Power: EVGA 1300w +80 plus
Windows 10
Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC every 5 minutes.
Framedrop=stuttering
Post automatically merged:

In-Game Settings:
- Resolution = 4k (ultra settings)
- Fullscreen ( Steam Inicialize options : -fullscreen)
-V-sync ON
- Maximum frames to render ahead = 1 (Great tweak to avoid dropped frames.)

This fix my problem , now the game runs like a charm
Post automatically merged:

SigilFey The Witcher 3 don't like G-sync?

Last edited:
SigilFey The Witcher 3 don't like G-sync?

TW3 is one of the most particular engines I've ever experienced. It's also one of the most robust and beautiful engines that I've ever experienced. But it does tend to throw a fit if even one little thing is not the way it wants everything to be.

My old analogy is that, when compared to something like Call of Duty, CoD is a racecar, while TW3 is a semi truck. CoD is built for blazingly fast rendering and taking hairpin turns on a dime: 120+ FPS XXXtreme gaming. TW3 is built for torque and power, not speed. It wants to keep the rpm down and take it's time on the corners, but it can drive along hauling tons.

So, things like G-sync and overclocking might work fine...or they may completely fail to cooperate and introduce issues that just can't be worked around. Better to lock things at a steady FPS that seems to cooperate across the board, and save the screaming framerates for shooters and action games.

In my case :

Maximum frames to render ahead = 5 or 8 with nvidiainspector , locked at 60fps and v-sync= stutter fix

In my case :

Maximum frames to render ahead = 5 or 8 with nvidiainspector , locked at 60fps and v-sync= stutter fix

If that's what works for you -- rock and roll!

Also, keep the settings in mind. If other games experience issues, it will likely be the same or similar settings that iron it out.

I hope you are all safe during this quarantine!
So, Im experiencing masive stuttering playing W3... like, a lot!
  • 2070 SUPER
  • R7 3700x (stock)
  • PSU EVGA 650W Gold
  • 16gb @ 3600mhz CL18
  • Games installed in a SSD
  • 1080p 144hz.
I tried:
  1. Fresh Windows and other versions
  2. Clean drivers
  3. Nvidia Panel settings
  4. XMP on and off
  5. Precision BOOST
  6. HPET bug (dont have it)
  7. Ultimate Performance power plan
  8. Change ram sticks to A2 B2
  9. New Bios and reset do default
  10. Normal temps GPU and CPU
Does anyone have a clue? Thank you!

I hope you are all safe during this quarantine!
So, Im experiencing masive stuttering playing W3... like, a lot!
  • 2070 SUPER
  • R7 3700x (stock)
  • PSU EVGA 650W Gold
  • 16gb @ 3600mhz CL18
  • Games installed in a SSD
  • 1080p 144hz.
I tried:
  1. Fresh Windows and other versions
  2. Clean drivers
  3. Nvidia Panel settings
  4. XMP on and off
  5. Precision BOOST
  6. HPET bug (dont have it)
  7. Ultimate Performance power plan
  8. Change ram sticks to A2 B2
  9. New Bios and reset do default
  10. Normal temps GPU and CPU
Does anyone have a clue? Thank you!

Moved your post here. Please, try the steps listed above and let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom