Language; the first frontier in the world

+
I speak fluent English but writing {often} gives me syntax problems. I am Russian by birth, I live in the United Kingdom, I temporarily reside in France. I teach higher Mathematics and Philosophy for students who have problems. how can i have problems? I speak Japanese and its main dialects without problems. German; I master it to perfection.
the English language; the great mystery.
the first border in the world is language; all the people of the world, books, songs, films; an insurmountable barrier without knowing the language.

The perfect example; in France, CP-2077 players are surprised; why many side mission titles have remained in English, not translated; they didn't realize these are song titles. // {lack musical culture, other problem}

very often, I have to start from my native language {Russian}, then Latin/French or Spanish, to finally find the right syntax for the English language. {in writing}
in the forum, I sometimes have problems understanding; I misspoke.
when I speak Japanese or German I don't have the slightest russian accent. my russian accent in english is very present. some Brits love it, others hate it.

O yes, the first frontier in the world; is language; no need for wall and barbed wire.

"Learning another language is a bit like becoming someone else"
Haruki Murakami

Attachments

• pexels-andrea-piacquadio-38881-696x663.jpg
    pexels-andrea-piacquadio-38881-696x663.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 119

Guest 4400165

I don't want to be rude, but you could start improving syntax with typing capital letters at the start of the sentences...you know, just like in Russian and many other languages.

Also, what are you trying to say here?

hmm im curious as well... im half german half indonesia, had france, latin and spanish in school had a russian girlfriend for almost 7 years and still think english is one of the easier languages around... also its hard to believe that someone "mastered german gramma to perfection" but struggles with english gramma/syntax... even we germans have problems with our own language at all lol... plusquamperfekt - ever heard of it?... its a mess xD

Niatka

Forum regular
[...] also its hard to believe that someone "mastered german gramma to perfection" but struggles with english gramma/syntax... [...]

if I would have been given $ 1 every time I was told that; I would be a millionaire.
fortunately, we are all different. I have a problem with the English language and it's been a long time since I focused more on this one. in life, there are more important subjects.
however, in my subject, the first wall in the world is the language barrier; it's a fact.

I speak fluent English but writing {often} gives me syntax problems. I am Russian by birth, I live in the United Kingdom, I temporarily reside in France. I teach higher Mathematics and Philosophy for students who have problems. how can i have problems? I speak Japanese and its main dialects without problems. German; I master it to perfection.
the English language; the great mystery.
the first border in the world is language; all the people of the world, books, songs, films; an insurmountable barrier without knowing the language.

The perfect example; in France, CP-2077 players are surprised; why many side mission titles have remained in English, not translated; they didn't realize these are song titles. // {lack musical culture, other problem}

very often, I have to start from my native language {Russian}, then Latin/French or Spanish, to finally find the right syntax for the English language. {in writing}
in the forum, I sometimes have problems understanding; I misspoke.
when I speak Japanese or German I don't have the slightest russian accent. my russian accent in english is very present. some Brits love it, others hate it.

O yes, the first frontier in the world; is language; no need for wall and barbed wire.

"Learning another language is a bit like becoming someone else"
Haruki Murakami
I like that

One old (bad) American movie which people might like. It was called Firefox, and it's from 1982 and it has Clint Eastwood trying to steal a MiG during the height of the cold war. The plane is so advanced, it reads your thoughts, and there is a great line about how you need to "think in Russian" - because the grammatical structure is different than Eastwood's Native English.

I grew up in an ethnically French-Canadian part of the US in the 1980's. Lots of native French speakers had emigrated there 50-70 years prior, with names like St. Pierre, LaPorte, LaPierre and, yes, Caron (see my name). Similar to the above movie, all our grandparents would speak English, but with French sentence construction, leading to such gems as:

Throw the baby down the stairs his coat.
Hey, you kids, next time you go through my yard, go around.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I remember.

Top Bottom