Languages

+
Languages

I was translating some Vergil this morning and, as a Temeria fan, this line gave me a chuckle:

Phyllida mitte mihi; meus est natalis, Iolla,

Any other Latin scholars in here? What languages do y'all speak? I would think the Witcher fandom far more fluent in various languages than other fanbases due to its European core.

English and German are the languages I'm confident in. I know just enough Swedish, Spanish, and Italian to cause endless confusion, just enough Latin to sing, and trust me, you don't want to hear me try to speak French.

Dutch, as I've been born, raised and still live in The Netherlands.
English, because I've been watching English movies and playing English video games from a young age. Also got it as a subject on school.
I've had Latin lessons for about five and a half years.
I've also had French lessons for three years and German lessons for two (I think), but I have to admit that I've already forgotten a lot of that.

(GT)

At the school in different years, I learned Russian, German and English. Today, I do not know any of these languages. For a time, at least I knew how to read Cyrillic, but now even that is forgotten.

Native language - Russian, don't have a chance to use it now too often
Language I use presently - English
Spanish - 2 years of college, California resident, lots of traveling in Mexico and SA
Latin - 4 years of college, classic and some medieval too
A bunch of Slavic languages - like any Russian, can understand eastern and southern Slavic languages, can read even Polish

Slovak - my native.
Czech - very very similar to Slovak, if you speak one, you know the second.
Vietnamese - parent's language
English - learned in school, and is used every day.
German - I used to watch a lot of German TV as a kid, picked up a lot of the language as a result.
I can also understand spoken and written Polish, although I cannot speak it.

And then a little bit of lots of other languages, just a few words though.

I also know Object Pascal and I am learning Python, soon C+ :D

swiss german
german
english
french
spanish
japanese

first is my mother language, 2+3 fluent, 4 good, 5 ok, 6 beginner.
some words in polish, russian, czech but really just enough to buy beers at a restaurant if at all.
can get the gist of a newspaper article in dutch or swedish but only when reading it.
can read & write kyrillic both print and handwriting (without understanding though :) ).

Ελληνικά(Greek - My native)
English(English)
日本語(Japanese)

I know fluently English, but I'm a beginner to experienced for the Japanese language.

Native Russian.
Fluent English.
Can understand about 75-80% of Ukrainian. (very similar with Russian)
Can understand some written Polish, after playing The Witcher games can understand some spoken language too.

Top Bottom