"Launch Game" Not working any longer from launcher.exe

+
The title summarizes the situation pretty well. All of a sudden, starting today, I can't launch the game via the launcher's "Launch game" button. It launches fine from the "System" folder's Witcher.exe straight away.

Why the issue all of a sudden?

I don't know why this happened but I'd say verifying/repairing the game via GOG galaxy/Steam might fix the issue.

I don't know why this happened but I'd say verifying/repairing the game via GOG galaxy/Steam might fix the issue.

Oh. It's from the disc. Enhanced Edition. Patched to 1.5 if it matters. I'm on W7. I hear all sorts of things like changing the launch settings to compatibility mode. Restarting your system simply fixes it (nope). All of a sudden, too. The ONLY thing I can think of that has CHANGED is I added it to Steam as a non-steam game. And I was messing around with the shortcut, for example. I didn't like how it was named "launcher.exe" instead of Witcher.exe or Witcher Launcher. I hate finding "launcher.exe" in my programs list or start shortcut.

And I was messing around with the shortcut, for example. I didn't like how it was named "launcher.exe" instead of Witcher.exe or Witcher Launcher. I hate finding "launcher.exe" in my programs list or start shortcut.

You should probably change it back. Renaming .exe files is often not the best idea.

You should probably change it back. Renaming .exe files is often not the best idea.

I checked back inside the folder. I apparently did change it back. Still nothing. Weird how it happens all of a sudden. The witcher.exe in System folder still launches straight into the game, though, like I said.

I checked back inside the folder. I apparently did change it back. Still nothing. Weird how it happens all of a sudden. The witcher.exe in System folder still launches straight into the game, though, like I said.

Strange, but changing the name of the .exe is still the most likely explanation for the issue (because there must have been a shortcut that led straight to the original .exe file - after renaming that .exe file it doesn't surprise me that the shortcut to the .exe didn't work anymore).

But if it still doesn't work the way it should and you can't repair/verify the files, then reinstalling the game is always an option.

P.S. on Windows you can also create a new shortcut on your desktop that leads to the .exe file (right click on the .exe file and there should be an option to do that).

Last edited:
P.S. on Windows you can also create a new shortcut on your desktop that leads to the .exe file (right click on the .exe file and there should be an option to do that).

^ This. :) That should work fine.

The root of this is likely WIndows Security or an anti-virus program not liking the game. Very common with legacy titles. Simply ensure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). Always install to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation. You can follow these instructions for moving an existing Steam installation.

Also, make sure that all folders associated with the game have their Permissions set to "Everyone" (including savegame locations), and that all .EXE files are set to "Run as administrator".

Disable cloud storage and Steam overlay features for the game. These two things can wreak havoc with older games.

W-W-W-W-W-WAIT. Guys, guys, guys... G-G-G-G-GUYS. I've installed it from THE DISC. Retail. Patched to 1.5. I DID NOT get a digital version of the game. Although I did claim my CD key but regardless.

Yeah. I can't "repair" or verify anything. And the LAUNCHER does work. But once you hit "launch game" it just hangs. Nothing happens further. Other than the launcher closing.

Last edited:
W-W-W-W-W-WAIT. Guys, guys, guys... G-G-G-G-GUYS. I've installed it from THE DISC. Retail. Patched to 1.5. I DID NOT get a digital version of the game. Although I did claim my CD key but regardless.

Yeah. I can't "repair" or verify anything. And the LAUNCHER does work. But once you hit "launch game" it just hangs. Nothing happens further. Other than the launcher closing.

Again, you can make your own shortcut :). And as also explained before if you don't want to do that you can reinstall the game. Both ways work with the disc version.

Again, you can make your own shortcut :). And as also explained before if you don't want to do that you can reinstall the game. Both ways work with the disc version.

But he mentioned legacy titles. Meaning digital, if i'm not mistaken. I'm not sure what you mean by making your own shortcut, then. What exactly are you suggesting, other than reinstalling the game?

But he mentioned legacy titles. Meaning digital, if i'm not mistaken. I'm not sure what you mean by making your own shortcut, then. What exactly are you suggesting, other than reinstalling the game?

Disconnect detected. :LOL: "Legacy titles" are any game that was made to run on an older OS. So, If I try to run a game made for Windows XP or 7 on a Windows 10 system, that can be considered a legacy title. (Meaning it may not work nicely on the newer OS. You may have to select a compatibility mode, download older drivers, use a compatibility patch or mod, etc.)

Creating a new shortcut, as @devivre has suggested, should work just fine on any version of Windows. Also follow the steps I've provided above (regardless of whether you're using the disk, Steam, or GOG). Installing games to protected directories in Windows can be problematic, especially if the game was not even made for that version of Windows.

Top Bottom