Leader Spotlight: Gernichora

+
1 per round though
Post automatically merged:

Oh wait. Every *turn*

Yikes, ok. This is powerful

Yes, that is the reason the last person mentioned, an opponent could always throw that removal at you anyways, in the best case there is excess damage that is wasted and you just spam a new token next turn, preferably before playing a creature, getting that sweet free Thrive.

Apart from Glustyworm getting you multiple Arachas tokens (which sounds like an unecessarily fragile winmoar strategy) and something like a 3 point absorbing Karyan (which, surprise, is a plain awful move) this card is strictly better than Arachas Queen.
And there is no reason to ever not have one of these tokens as there is no loss in just using the ability whenever you can.
Someone mentioned Slyzard, given that one can always choose the row the token gets thrown into, starting a consumption loop (netting 1-2 points (thrive)) without having to assemble multiple combo pieces, Slyzard alone and an unbrickable leader are all one needs, so it is effectively a "perfect" combo in terms of consistency (no combopieces can be bricked and in case of 2 Slyzards you can do that during a second round as well).

This card is every bit as good as I wanted, beyond the part about Gernichora mind controlling other monsters via her blood in her leeches makes her/it a born leader for monsters.
This card defnitely makes me want to play even more monsters (given that I just enjoy these fortress types of cards, like Gernichora).

By the way (and I know quite a few people have mentioned that already) consuming a Gernichora Token with Toad Prince, while the opponent has 3 point units (without immune) is just a noob/arrogant missplay.

Somehow I think the ideal approach is either going to be to chain consume the token to get 1 pt per turn or put it down, let it thrive and strategically consume it to maximize the thrive value.

In terms of the opponent killing it... What would be the point?

Somehow I think the ideal approach is either going to be to chain consume the token to get 1 pt per turn or put it down, let it thrive and strategically consume it to maximize the thrive value.

In terms of the opponent killing it... What would be the point?

Can't you earn 2p per turn by puting the token down, playing a unit with at least 2 power and consuming it afterwards with slyzard or barbegazi?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Seems like the best counter for Gernichora's fruit is locking it... except the opponent will probably just consume it and spawn another one, since this is targeted towards consume decks.

So yeah, the real best counter is probably let opponent consume all he wants then Yrden at last turn.

Can't you earn 2p per turn by puting the token down, playing a unit with at least 2 power and consuming it afterwards with slyzard or barbegazi?

Yeah, pretty much. The token hits the board as a 1 then gets a +1 via the thrive. Presumably this will be one of the setups involving the leader. Once it hits a value where it's not going to thrive anymore you would probably consume the token itself.

I don't think consuming the token itself is going to be all that special outside of the above mentioned exception. It doesn't have a DW ability so consuming it is like eating any other non DW card. It doesn't add points itself. It just moves them from the eaten target to the consumer. The only difference with the token is it can then be reapplied the next turn start. So by eating it you're storing +1 value for the next turn.

To be honest I don't know if it's going to be an upgrade over other MS leaders. It's basically another thrive with consume synergy on a leader. Yeah, it has potential to add a lot of points over a game. So does Arachas Queen. Arachas Queen is also incredibly predictable and, barring a few cards, the leader ability doesn't play into the point swing/tempo meta.

I actually played against this deck once out of 9 ranked games so far.
TBH not that big a deal, | kept playing my SC Eithne deck with Schirru and scorch, only replaced one bronze with white frost card. I beat the Gernichora with no issues.
On round one it has super slow tempo (at least comparing to SC) and after 2 turns i was 20-0 already, he caught up eventually but lost the round. R2 dry pass. R3 i waited for him to set 4 artifacts and used white frost (sorry i couldn't see his face at that moment) ending the match with a victory by a few points.
So my personal conclusion - not a big deal, easy countered by cards such as white frost (only 6 provision cost so u don't have to adjust ur deck too much), and once again i came across it only once in 9 games so i guess its not used as much, at least not in ranks 15-13.

If you consumed the Fruit at the right time, Gernichora does 1 point per 1 turn, so 16 if you played all 16 cards. It's only -2 provisions so Woodland Spirit has 16-15+8=9 points and Gernichora 13-15+16=14 points.
Though some cards counter it really badly... Yrden...
except she doesn't do 1 per turn, she does 1 per turn+1thrive, and then gets eaten. That makes up to something like 29 points..

and, there's the spear problem. Is this a bug? the fact that you can use spear 2 times in one turn

except she doesn't do 1 per turn, she does 1 per turn+1thrive, and then gets eaten. That makes up to something like 29 points..

and, there's the spear problem. Is this a bug? the fact that you can use spear 2 times in one turn

Well...
To make it 2 points per turn, you need to consume it using Order ability, because consume on deploy apparently doesn't trigger it's Thrive.
So if you used well all the consume Orders, Gernichora would have the potential to make 16 + 16 - 3 (round start) = 29 points... Or even 31 since Kayran has Zeal and can be used twice ;p

MAXIMUM value she can make, using current Spears and Shields:
long round 10 cards:
2+1 (artifact+ Fruit body), 2+2 (Kayran played: 2 artifact charges + 2 body), 3 + 1 (second artifact played), now uninterrupted Slyzard and till end of round, every round 4 value from Gernichora.
Now during remaining 6 turns, the same algorithm. It makes a total of
2+1+2+2+3+1+(4+2)*7 + 2+1+2+2+3+1+(4+2)*3 = 82 value.
If 3 artifacts were played on long round, it would make 4*6+3+4+4+5+5, 3+4*5 = 68.
A leader worth 82 value, neaaat.

No but tbh without triggering Spears I think she's about ok (in terms of being op), because the quantity of units having Consume ability is limited and uninterrupted Slyzard does not happen...
And getting 2 value instead of 1 through consumption adds an interesting synergy to this leader; not a straight forward 1 point per turn as I thought at first...

If you ask a Woodland user, they would tell you that without Spears Gernichora is weak and they are still willing to use Woodland if her deploy will be changed to summon instead...
But I think that they're not convinced that 16 every turn is better than 8 as finisher; expecially that sometimes you miss a point if you don't consume at the right time, and the BigWoodland deck needs to be modified...

But getting over 16 through synergies sounds fine... Or maybe it's nice to see other MS decks than BigWoodland for once, hehe...

Last edited:
Top Bottom