Learning Curve

+
Learning Curve

First of all: I'm really exited about GWENT. I loved Witcher 3 and GWENT just the icing on the cake. :)

There is just a few questions I would like to ask about the standalone version of GWENT:
How will the learning curve of the game look like?
Will there be an immens difference between a new player and a really good veteran? (skill-based)

I hope there will be much to learn about the game and you can improve your skill alot :)

Keep up the great work and greetings from Germany :)
ERC

I think the main thing you'll see from new players and veterans will be:

- Thinking ahead; You'll understand when Scorches and Weathers are likely and you'll be thinking forward to a turn 2 and turn 3 strategy whereas a new player might just be thinking on how to win this round. (which is not always important)

- Baiting; More experienced players will think very critically about which card they place: "Does it defend against ___ ?" etc. Or "I'll place this 12 Strength Unit to bait a scorch so I can play something bigger later."

- Veterans will be better at putting the opponent into uncomfortable situations - The Play or Pass dilemma when someones got high strength but the opponent has low strength.

- Veterans to Gwent:TWCG specifically when the games out for a while will know what cards each Deck has to it's disposable and the possible combinations and strategies they commonly employ. And ow to work around them.

As you can see most of the Advantage comes from knowing cards and thinking based on that knowledge.

The only advantage which I don't like but is always in Card Games is that Veteran will have access to more cards so they can vary up their strategies more.
But in saying that, I don't doubt a basic deck could beat a veterans deck by simply effectively using his Scorches / Weather / Horns etc.
Don't you think?

Last edited:
I agree with your 4 Points while assuming that the veteran and the newbie have the same basic deck.

But I think we'll see what happens when you give the newbie the better deck. And that'll be interesting.
I hope that the cards are not going to differ in strength that much, but the minds will develop over time, so you know how to outsmart the opponent even if you have the disadvantage in strength.

Well there are several stages:

1. You will learn the exact rules (which effects are calculated first etc.)

2. You will learn the basic strategies and basic moves (trying to bait the enemy 1 round to use to many cards, not play to many cards which are scorched at the same time etc.)

3. You will be better at knowing which cards are good and which ones not, helping you to build better decks with your card pool. (Or whcih cards work well together).

4. You will become better at bluffing/guessing the enemies strategy.

5. You will become better at recognizing decks/strategies (and therefore know what kind of cards you can expect) and therefore also can better play arround them "think ahead"

6. You will become better at metagaming, knowing which decks are currently played a lot, and what kind of deck beats that.

Points 3 and 5 also help to chose which card to redraw and which not.

You will also become better at deckbuilding in general (3), but with the "netdecking" everywhere this is for a lot of people not important, since they will just copy decks.

Top Bottom