Legacy of Kain fanatic thread

+
Legacy of Kain fanatic thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcVgb4s7xFs

One of the greatest narrative experiences ever devised, labyrinthine, complex, and at first glance utterly insane plots to ever grace the genre of interactive entertainment. Wrapped in resplendent, romantic and visually stunning engines that helped ensure the visually and mentally magnificent protagonists were done justice. The one, the only:

LEGACY OF KAIN.

"Grovel before your true master!" Vorador.

Yes they were linear, but so complex and masterfully crafted as to assuage any feelings of not participating. Indeed one felt the savage joy as Raziel stalked his brethren in the Sarafan stronghold, cursed as a young Kain fell prey to the time streamers duplicity, and nodded in sadness at the realisation that hope is a bitter and terrible illusion.

But enough pontificating, let's rock, VAE VICTIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2RMWWBXYbs

All of the Legacy of Kain games, except for the original Blood Omen, are available on GOG for a measly $6. I assume Blood Omen can be found on Amazon or EBay.

oh man legacy of kain!!! that saga is puré gold i play the blood omen 1 and soul reaver 1 in ps1 later i go to pc gaming and finish the last 3 games

for me one of the best vampire games

Legacy of Kain is a masterpiece in terms of story and plot, absolutely fantastic. It's definitely one of my top 3 favorite video game series of all time.

The lore, the plot, the symbolisms, the intrigue, the characters. It's fantastic. And one of the very few stories, if not the only one, that features time travel that I strongly appreciate. It's also certainly one of the most philosophical games I've played, with its clash between destiny and fate, essence and existence, marking Raziel and Kain's journey in their defiance of the tyrannous stars.

Kain and Raziel are some of my favorite fictional characters ever, with a great dynamic. I'm very attached to the both of them and the series in general.

In an ideal world, there would be a remake and continuation of the series, made by people who grasp its story and plot and don't end up ruining or simplifying it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cOnsWY9drA[/media]

Want to know more about Kain, the titular anti/hero of this series? Read Knight of Phoenix's exhaustingly detailed article on the gent, in his magnificent bastards blog, a brilliant summation of one of the most proactive characters ever to stalk video games.

But what does the future hold for this revered series, one of the most fondly remembered in video games history, I hear you cry? An online multiplayer deathmatch.

I'll give you five minutes to weep and rage.

There better? No I thought not, i'm still angry myself.

Single player sequel idea: There is only one unexplained loophole, one oddity that remains enigmatic and unresolved throughout the last three games of Legacy of Kain. It is Vorador. Why is this the first human to ever be turned alive? His sire was Janos Audron himself, the tenth Guardian of the Nine Pillars, and it was by Vorador's hand that the Soul Reaver was forged. But why does he live, what mysteries does he yet hold, and how did he escape Moebius' trap? Kain saw him beheaded, what changed?

Here we could explore one of the most interesting characters in Nosgoth, and see his life story told from the beginning to the present. There may be twists aplenty for the Sarafan Lord/Hylden General held the Soul Reaver for two whole years while Kain slumbered, and might have wrought unknown calamitous changes across Nosgoth, and so long as they are crafted with care and attention to detail a cunning narrative might see Vorador making a stand against them. Forming the Cabal and leading the resistance, and resolve the mystery of his bride.

An introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8vqMFTo7o

Gameplay wise, ideally one would wish for something like the original Blood Omen, with all of its features and forms, combined with a graphically competent engine such as Unity or suchlike. More important however is the art design, Nosgoth has always been beautiful, exuberant and unique, with a hint of splendour and glories waiting to be discovered. Artifacts of the Hylden, the Vampires and the wonders they crafted, mysterious and breathtaking as when the Pillars are first seen, soaring into the heavens.

I came here specifically to post the Ozar Midrashim song but I see the OP beat me to it :p

Damn.

Well, although I haven't completed any of the games, I still have some profound memories playing them. I think it was Blood Omen, when you were playing as Kain and stabbed in the chest by some dude. Man, as a kid that was gruesome and fascinating. Then Soul Reaver and dat intro. Epic yet subtle. Can't explain it.

So yeah, I have fond memories regarding the Legacy of Kain games. One day, I'll play and finish them all. But not yet. Not yet. (Cookie for reference!)

FoggyFishburne said:
One day, I'll play and finish them all. But not yet. Not yet. (Cookie for reference!)

"Gladiator" reference, perhaps?

I´ll have to try the Legacy of Kain games sometime... I have always heard good things about them.

This is one of my favourite game franchises of all time.

When i read the news article that said Square Enix planned a free to play online multiplayer deathmatch game, well... the only other time i wrote so many insults at a game company before that was against capcom when RE died.

But still, i think someday we will get another game, a single player campaign based one, but im not too eager to see the horrible dumbed down over the top action thingy they'll come up with.

KnightofPhoenix said:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cOnsWY9drA[/media]
While we're talking about taking good stuff and unnecessarily changing it...

I like the original version a lot better. It fits perfectly to the gothic atmosphere of the LoK series, it pretty much IS the Legacy of Kain series condensed into a piece of music. Turn it on SO LOUD THAT YOUR NEIGHBOURS WILL HATE YOU and you feel it ^^

M4xw0lf said:
While we're talking about taking good stuff and unnecessarily changing it... />

I like the original version a lot better. It fits perfectly to the gothic atmosphere of the LoK series, it pretty much IS the Legacy of Kain series condensed into a piece of music. Turn it on SO LOUD THAT YOUR NEIGHBOURS WILL HATE YOU and you feel it ^^

Well yes obviously the original is better. This is just a fan remix, it's fun I like it.

Mai3r said:
Personally i'm a big fan of Blood Omen 2. Played it almost six times.

Underrated I think, lot of people didn't understand that it was Kain's memories changing at the end of Soul Reaver 2. I'd play it just for the Eternal Prison, what the fade in dragon age should have been, rather than a blurry re-used areas.

Maybe I'll try this out after my current Shadow Warrior run. What type of game is it? Hack and slash, adventure, action RPG?

Extremely story heavy action adventure, Soul Reaver has a lot of exploring, jumping and block puzzles. All the games after that are fairly much linear hack and slash, with magic and a few puzzles.

The first game Blood Omen, which isn't on GOG was far more complex than any of the others, there were a host of features, forms and such.

Best played on a gamepad unfortunately, though I finished 'em on keyboard.

gedierond said:
"Gladiator" reference, perhaps?

I´ll have to try the Legacy of Kain games sometime... I have always heard good things about them.
Yes it is! Bravo, here's a cookie :D

Bloth said:
Extremely story heavy action adventure, Soul Reaver has a lot of exploring, jumping and block puzzles. All the games after that are fairly much linear hack and slash, with magic and a few puzzles.
That's the only thing that's stopped me from playing the series. I just really hate that kind of gameplay, it's definitely not for me...

Guess I might just have to watch an LP or something.

Fair enough, I think there's been a few movies made of the game on Youtube. To be honest I agree that the first Blood Omen was better in terms of gameplay, ideally i'd like them to go back to that.

fucking love LoK series played all games except original Blood Omen.

The series would be perfect for me if it wasn't for all the damn time travel everywhere, fuck makes the story rather messy and confusing at times.

For me that's a plus, that they can weave such a labyrinthine plot over millenia and maintain consistency. You really need to play Blood Omen or at watch a let's play or something Guipit, it's the real foundation of all the other games. Hope GOG release it at some point.

Top Bottom