Legal labor: Welcome to your boring Cyberpunk life!

+
I think that investing too much into a "day job" invites boring gameplay. I do not want to take customer orders, and then have them start bitching as I respond to the beeping of the deep fryer so that I can get my future-chiggin-nuggets out before they burn and then get chewed out by a customer as I try to move the line along! Unless of course, like said previously, this is part of the execution of a mission where I'm going to ambush someone, and this is all a cover, and I know it will be over soon. In that case, it'd call it immersion.

Regarding legal work, it would not be a stretch, however, to act as an independent contractor in support of something legal. Need to beef up security? The players will be well suited in many cases to help out with that on several levels. Sometimes you need more help, and you need it NOW. You don't have time for proper channels or the resources to hire on more personnel, so that desperate NPC will gladly look to our characters to get his armored car back to the bank safely amid a sudden escalation of street violence in an unexpected place.

Getting a fulltime/part-time job could be an interesting option. Trying to fit it in would be hard and I think almost every player would quit, but some could maybe stick it out.
Just like the PnP.

I wouldn't want to see it being mandatory though.

Getting a fulltime/part-time job could be an interesting option. Trying to fit it in would be hard and I think almost every player would quit, but some could maybe stick it out.
Just like the PnP.

I wouldn't want to see it being mandatory though.

having a normal job?.....i dont know .......its like you want to have a normal job in GTA....at the end you are always doing some crime stuff

Yeah, like I said, having a "normal job" is great as part of a mission or with a not-normal-job objective. There would have to be a real, clear, defined payoff besides minimum wage paychecks on Fridays!

What about using a part time job as part of maintaining a 'legitimate appearance' for an alternate identity?

Anyone read "A Scanner Darkly"?

Hey, you're right! That could be an interesting way to justify making rent in a nice neighborhood. If 100% of your money is dirty, and everyone's sure you don't even have a day job, that could be awefully suspicious. Even if we don't go to the lengths of acting out that job through gameplay, including the implication as part of a way of dealing with that could make it feel a lot more like you're part of a world in stead of being a player in a video game. It will enhance immersion.

Well, there ate plenty of opportunities for 'legitimate' work that don't require specific hours or anything. Bounty Hunting, Body Guarding, Hardware Repairs, Programing.

Of course, all of these rely on 'self employment'.

Well, there ate plenty of opportunities for 'legitimate' work that don't require specific hours or anything. Bounty Hunting, Body Guarding, Hardware Repairs, Programing.

Of course, all of these rely on 'self employment'.

This. I'd like to see jobs by role. Medias become Peter Parker, rockerboys play in bars, techies fix shit, medtechs work in hospitals or chop shops, solos take contracts, netrunners hack accounts or sell info, corporates play the stock market, ect. Working as a 9-2-5 deskjockey is cyberpunk blasphemy.

Well, I don't know about limiting work to roles, but I would certainly say that synergy would make the work much easier and profitable.

I would link skill levels to work efficiency.

Hey, you're right! That could be an interesting way to justify making rent in a nice neighborhood. If 100% of your money is dirty, and everyone's sure you don't even have a day job, that could be awefully suspicious. Even if we don't go to the lengths of acting out that job through gameplay, including the implication as part of a way of dealing with that could make it feel a lot more like you're part of a world in stead of being a player in a video game. It will enhance immersion.
Hrm...

I vaguely recall in Shenmue, in the beginning of the game, you had a warehouse job that you worked.

Though, does anyone actually remember doing any "work"? I just remember going down to the warehouse, and racing forklifts... =p

Top Bottom