Legends of Runeterra (Amazing new card game)

+
I play gwent because i love any aspects of witcher series. even though i've played all the witcher games multiple times and finished the books. Still i like to spend time in Witcher Universe with all this musics and characters i know. That is the basic reason why i play gwent. I have no interest in LoL so it really doesnt mean much to me.

I personally prefer MTG in both paper format and digital. Not hating on LoR though. Cardgames with hitpoints, blockers and attackers tend allow more complex and crazy strategies.

Gwents problem is the small cardpool along with high draw consistency. Round 3's end up feeling the same. The way to maximize points in gwent mean that the strategy of sequencing cardplays is often rendered meaningless as the right play becomes very obvious with few alternatives, at least in higher ranks with good players.

Gwent right now has one advantage in the market of cardgames, and that is being "the witcher cardgame".

I also played some LOR lately because I needed a break from Gwent. LOR is a really cool game and amazingly balanced for still being in beta. The potential is huge.

But I also realized that Gwent has some strong mechanics that I realy like and that I probably will stick with it (right now I play both games a little bit). So the strengths of Gwent to me are that it is not mana-based so you are almost always able to play a card. You can also drop your strongest card first if you want. The other thing I like is the three-round-system which forces you to plan ahead. If you use all your strong cards in the first round you will probably win this round but lose the game. You can also try to trick your opponent to get card advantage. So overall it feels more like a war than a single battle: one victory is just not enough.

The best part about LOR is that it doesn't seem like that big of a grind to get a competitive deck. But that may change as more expansions come out

I would bet it gets more difficult after BETA-Phase. Currently it`s really easy & fast to get full Collection.
I managed by concentrating on expedition, which was sadly changed this week. From now on you can`t easily get three champs per week anymore.

I would bet it gets more difficult after BETA-Phase. Currently it`s really easy & fast to get full Collection.
I managed by concentrating on expedition, which was sadly changed this week. From now on you can`t easily get three champs per week anymore.

Seems just as easy. You still get the free champion in the weekly chests and now you can level those chests up infinitely.

It's great to see all my favorite Gwent people thriving again in Runeterra. Mogwai especially seems so passionate about LoR. I can tell he really loves this game. He comes up with fresh decks on almost a daily basis, and they are all so creative. It's weird how Swim is doing the hyper competitive decks, and Mogwai has the more degenerate ones, because back in Gwent's glory days it seemed like the opposite.

I've even ran into Gameking twice in ranked. It's just fun seeing all the familiar faces again!

LoR has huge potential, but the card draw RNG is way too large and most of the time deciding who wins. Starting with 5 cards and 4 mulligans, from a deck of 40 cards and then only drawing one card per turn with no mulligan creates huge draw RNG. Even with 3 copies of most cards in your deck, draw RNG decides a lot of times if you win or lose; if you draw that card that you need to properly counter the opponent or play your strategy. You can add cards that draw more cards, but you need to draw those cards in the first place. Gwent is much better in this regard. With more card draws and more mulligans to make it a little bit easier to draw the cards that you want, decks and players would compete much more strategically instead of getting lucky with draws.

Also there are very large variances in cards' abilities, depending on the state of the board and also draw RNG. This is very true:
This game seems to have more of an "If everything is broken then nothing is broken" sort of approach. That of course isn't completely true but I think you get my point. Plenty of stuff looks OP that I can talk about for instance that Anivia champion is pretty ridiculous. At least there are lots of different fun and powerful options to choose from as opposed to stuff all feeling weak and boring.

Last edited:
I love!!!! Legend of runeterra, especially since I have to use strategy and smart play to win giving the cards draw you get. Gwent is the same matches play out the same way over and over and over again. Plus I feel the balance in legend of runeterra is so much better and the gameplay is so much fun. Even the emotes are better! There is a actually Hi emote!!! And GG emotes.

LoR has huge potential, but the card draw RNG is way too large and most of the time deciding who wins. Starting with 5 cards and 4 mulligans, from a deck of 40 cards and then only drawing one card per turn with no mulligan creates huge draw RNG. Even with 3 copies of most cards in your deck, draw RNG decides a lot of times if you win or lose; if you draw that card that you need to properly counter the opponent or play your strategy. You can add cards that draw more cards, but you need to draw those cards in the first place. Gwent is much better in this regard. With more card draws and more mulligans to make it a little bit easier to draw the cards that you want, decks and players would compete much more strategically instead of getting lucky with draws.

I find the Draw RNG to be a strength with the game. Having the right amount of Draw RNG prevents matchups from automatically deciding the game as soon as it starts. If you watch high level players the Draw RNG doesn't screw them very often. They can use their well made decks and play in such a way to get the win.

I've said this before but I find LoR to have more strategic depth and more dynamic games than Gwent. Yeah in Gwent you have enough consistency to pull off your strategy most of the time. This results in games playing the same and match up determining the winner.

Legend of runeterra is about to drop on April 30 with new insane champions and new crazy abilities. I'm definitely excited! To me what makes this game so great is losing isn't so bad since matches are fun and short.

I find the Draw RNG to be a strength with the game. Having the right amount of Draw RNG prevents matchups from automatically deciding the game as soon as it starts. If you watch high level players the Draw RNG doesn't screw them very often. They can use their well made decks and play in such a way to get the win.

I've said this before but I find LoR to have more strategic depth and more dynamic games than Gwent. Yeah in Gwent you have enough consistency to pull off your strategy most of the time. This results in games playing the same and match up determining the winner.
That's funny because the draw RNG is exactly what decides a lot of match-ups already from the start or just a bit later. I guess the problem is finding the right amount of draw RNG. I have seen high level players and I have played some good decks myself. These good players are losing quite often because of bad draws. A deck of 40 cards and drawing only one card per round creates a lot of draw RNG. I believe this needs to be reduced to make the game feel much better. Two card draws after round 5 for example with a mulligan and mulligan blacklisting. Thinking about the mulligan update of Gwent, LoR seems quite ridiculous. Some less draw RNG would allow for more consistent counter and combo strategic play.
Played Runettera for a while. Lost the patience because of severely unbalanced gameplay/meta.
Several cards and combo's are crazy and game deciding. Spells and abilities need to be balanced around champions and followers. It's fun though, but it can be very frustrating, especially with the draw RNG. There's definitely room for improvement.

That's funny because the draw RNG is exactly what decides a lot of match-ups already from the start or just a bit later. I guess the problem is finding the right amount of draw RNG. I have seen high level players and I have played some good decks myself. These good players are losing quite often because of bad draws. A deck of 40 cards and drawing only one card per round creates a lot of draw RNG. I believe this needs to be reduced to make the game feel much better. Two card draws after round 5 for example with a mulligan and mulligan blacklisting. Thinking about the mulligan update of Gwent, LoR seems quite ridiculous. Some less draw RNG would allow for more consistent counter and combo strategic play.

Several cards and combo's are crazy and game deciding. Spells and abilities need to be balanced around champions and followers. It's fun though, but it can be very frustrating, especially with the draw RNG. There's definitely room for improvement.
The thing is you are saying the game has insanely powerful combos and then you are trying to make it more consistent with more draw and mulligans. Dont you see broken decks would become in doing that? The draw RNG needs to be there so that top decks don't just automatically destroy everything because they pull off their super combo at the earliest point possible every game.

Last edited:
The thing is you are saying the game has insanely powerful combos and then you are trying to make it more consistent with more draw and mulligans. Dont you see broken decks would become in doing that? The draw RNG needs to be there so that top decks don't just automatically destroy everything because they pull off their super combo at the earliest point possible every game.
I understand, but I hate "balancing" through RNG. These insanely powerful combos need to be toned down in parallel, making the outcome more dependent on strategic play and less on draw RNG and related OP combos. It's all too extreme right now.

I understand, but I hate "balancing" through RNG. These insanely powerful combos need to be toned down in parallel, making the outcome more dependent on strategic play and less on draw RNG and related OP combos. It's all too extreme right now.

I'm cool with letting cards be strong. I think it's a lost cause to find some magic balance spot to put every card in. I just want to see every card playable and used in at least one deck if not many.

Strategic play already plays a massive role in this game which is easy to see given just how many decisions you have throughout the course of a match. No matter how strong a card is there is always a counter to use against it or a counter way to win the game.

I'm not against nerfs but only used appropriately. Karma and Ezreal probably need something adjusted but I hate to see cards nerfed so bad no one uses them anymore. Hecarim needed nerfed in the beginning but the problem with that nerf was that ephemeral is so mediocre right now that after being nerfed he is hardly played anymore. Until they buff Ephemeral anyway.

I'm cool with letting cards be strong. I think it's a lost cause to find some magic balance spot to put every card in. I just want to see every card playable and used in at least one deck if not many.

Strategic play already plays a massive role in this game which is easy to see given just how many decisions you have throughout the course of a match. No matter how strong a card is there is always a counter to use against it or a counter way to win the game.

I'm not against nerfs but only used appropriately. Karma and Ezreal probably need something adjusted but I hate to see cards nerfed so bad no one uses them anymore. Hecarim needed nerfed in the beginning but the problem with that nerf was that ephemeral is so mediocre right now that after being nerfed he is hardly played anymore. Until they buff Ephemeral anyway.
I agree with all that. Several cards and combos need appropriate balancing. There are quite a few ways to counter, which makes it interesting. But a bit too often, draw RNG can make it unfun by simply not letting you draw any of the cards you need. Top-deck dependent winning or losing is not much fun (at least not for me).

As mentioned by @Archan6el, balance shouldn't be done by draw RNG. However, we do need draw RNG to create more variety in matches. What hasn't been mentioned, though, is that the draw RNG actually creates a tactical aspect in how you build decks and how you mulligan them. Let me explain...

When building your deck it's important to consider whether your "win-con" activates in the early game or late game. Aggro decks tend to go for consistency, for this reason, in order to always have a reliable opening. This requires putting a lot of cheap units in the deck. Control decks, on the other hand, are late game and require less consistency because you have a higher odds of drawing the card you need later. This means you can actually mulligan Karma and only run 1 or 2 copies of your win-con (e.g. Corina/Atrocity), instead of 3.

Top Bottom