Lest talk about Shupe's day off

+
So, we have this interesting card, Shupes day off, and I would like to make a comment about it. For who they don’t know it, it’s a 13 provisions card who allow you to choose 3 variants (between parenthesis the body points of the token depending of your choice):

-Mage (2)

-Hunter (4)

-Knight (8)

Each variant has 5 different abilities, and you have to choose one between 3 randomly selected. So maybe there is one effect you want to play, but nothing assures you that you will get it. Also, there is a big condition to play this card: your deck can’t have duplicates card.

As you can see, it’s a very special card that requires compromise to play it. In one of the latest patches, they improve the card, giving really interesting abilities to play both to the Hunter and the Knight. Maybe the last one is more reliable, because all his effects are useful; but the Hunter is pretty good too, having the possibility to destroy and artifact or a random unity.

The problem comes with the Mage version. The only useful effect it has is doing 13 damage points to random units on the board (yes, including, yours), which could be extremely effective to kill some Eithné or anything like that card. There is another option that can be useful in some very specific situations: “Transform the rightmost card in each player’s hand into a special card”. If you have no cards this ability only affects your opponents’ hand, and it’s also playable if he plays Matta before. The problem comes when the special card he receives it’s much better than yours.

The other Mage abilities are even worse, like create random row effects on all rows for 3 turns (and yes, I live a situation where my opponent has 2 frost and I have a Dragon dream and a Blood moon); Spawn and summon a random unit to a random row of each player (and again, ost of the times my opponent has better lucky.

The extremely random Mage Shupe it's quite annoying. I assume the 2-body token was a way to balance strong abilities, but, at the end, that option doesn’t worth it because it can hurt you more than the opponent. Ok, I understand that an Ogre mage has some… difficulties to master this kind of power, but I suggest some changes to improve this Shupe’s option:

-When you choose the row effects ability, give me the option, at least, to choose where each row effect will apply, being able to avoid the most harmful.

-Same when you choose changing the rightmost card of each player into a special card. Show me the 2 special cards to choose which I’m going to have.

With this changes you keep the randomness but you give Shupe’s owner some control of the situation, which didn’t happen now.

Thanks for reading and apologize for my English.

Last edited:
You've forgot about another fun Mage option:

Right. That's also useful, specially if the opponents plays a good card as first option, which can be possible in a third short round. Apart form that, In think the rest of the post it's accurate.
EDIT: I've just discovered that the unit randomly choosed could be Shupe's owner, givint it to the opponent. Well, another ability that needs a bit of adjust...

Last edited:
You've forgot about another fun Mage option:

I have coaxed out many a forfeit with this one :)

I love playing Shupe decks. Not because they're terribly effective against everything, but they're always fun. Plus you can always add Radeyah who has the same no duplicates condition and is arguably more useful than shupe in most cases... At least she's predictable.

Lexor

Forum veteran
EDIT: I've just discovered that the unit randomly choosed could be Shupe's owner, givint it to the opponent. Well, another ability that needs a bit of adjust...
Yes, this is how it works, but you can still use it to your advantage in many cases, like when playing on red coin.

Shupe is a 13 provisions card requiring no copies in your deck and I would really appreciate making him more playable.

My comments / suggestions:

Shupe: Mage
Deploy: Transform the rightmost card in each player's hand into a random special card.
Comment: Can be completely forgotten. In bad cases you even improve your opponents deck.
Suggestion: Transform the highest provision card in your opponent´s hand into Pact

Ogroid, Mage, Token
Deploy: Move a random unit to the opposite row.
Comment: I am fine with this card. If your opponent has only strong cards it can have intense value

Ogroid, Mage, Token
Deploy: Spawn random row effects on all rows for 3 turns.
Comment: Can make sense if you fill only row and maybe in combination with Cards like Olgierd: Immortal, Olgierd von Everec and Saber-Tooth Tiger. Would leave it as it is as it.

Ogroid, Mage, Token
Deploy: Split 13 damage randomly between all other units on the battlefield.
Comment: Completely fine with. Interacts great with the cards from above

Ogroid, Mage, Token
Deploy: Spawn and Summon a random unit to a random row on each side.
Comment: Completely useless
Suggestion: Spawn and play the lowest provision unit of your deck twice to a random row on both sides

Shupe: Hunter
Ogroid, Token
Deploy: Play a random card from your deck.
Comment: Dandelion: Poet is strictly better.
Suggestion: Play a random card from your deck. If it is a unit boost it by 1. If it´s not a unit deal one random damage.

Ogroid, Token
Deploy: Damage 3 random enemy units by 3.
Comment: Ok. Can be a 13 for 13

Ogroid, Token
Deploy: Destroy an enemy artifact.
Comment: Ok, nice artefact removal option

Ogroid, Token
Deploy: Destroy a random enemy.
Comment: Ok, nice option in early round

Ogroid, Token
Deploy: Spawn a random row effect on an enemy row for 3 turns.
Comment: Avallac'h is the better option.
Suggestion: Increase the duration to 4 turns.

The Shupe Knight Option are completely fine. Most players will probably gamble for resilience.

Deploy: Transform the rightmost card in each player's hand into a random special card.
Comment: Can be completely forgotten. In bad cases you even improve your opponents deck.
Suggestion: Transform the highest provision card in your opponent´s hand into Pact

I think this ability could be too much. But it would be cool if it posible...

Ogroid, Mage, Token
Deploy: Spawn random row effects on all rows for 3 turns.
Comment: Can make sense if you fill only row and maybe in combination with Cards like Olgierd: Immortal, Olgierd von Everec and Saber-Tooth Tiger. Would leave it as it is as it.

You have given me an idea to use this ability with self-wound skellige. Draco turtle could really profit with it (but I'm pretty sure I would get MIST in his row lol).

Ogroid, Token
Deploy: Play a random card from your deck.
Comment: Dandelion: Poet is strictly better.
Suggestion: Play a random card from your deck. If it is a unit boost it by 1. If it´s not a unit deal one random damage.

In this case I understand that the extra prize of the card, compare to Dandelion: poet, it's due to his versatility giving you the chance to use it if it was necessary, so I don't think a change is needed. Anyway, if they want to do something like this it will be welcome.

Top Bottom