Let us do the finishing blow and NOT have it turn into an a cinematic moment.

+
Let us do the finishing blow and NOT have it turn into an a cinematic moment.

I was watching the witcher E3 demo with the griffin and I groaned when the ending ripped away control from the player to turn into a cinematic scene. I cannot stand that. Deus Ex did that and it pissed me off. Oh, you did a stealth run? Too bad, now we are going to have your character be an idiot and walk in guns blazing on the final boss. It is fine to have death animations for the boss, but let us still be in control. I really hate this trend of ripping away the coolest moments and replacing it with cgi/ingame movies.

Yeah Im with you on that. Its a peeve of mine when a game forces my character to do what in my mind they wouldnt do.

Calm down.

I'm pretty sure this Griffin battle can't be done using stealth. You know, because, Geralt? Monster Hunter stuff? And there are worse things a game can do than killing the boss in a cutscene.

So the ending cutscene was perfectly legit.

And it was obvious that the last scene in that city / village didn't take place right around the corner, so that vista cutscene won't appear right after the battle with Geralt suddenly being somewhere else. If it will be in the game at all.

This demo was mostly scripted, as is most gameplay that is shown @ E3, so no need for an uproar.

I don't know how many times I have said this today but all signs point to that cutscene not being in the final game. Look at the griffons health when it plays, not even close to death.

first of all CP2077 and The Witcher 3 are different games, this means that not everything form the Witcher wil be in CP, second this was just a demo! Demos like this are made for events like the E3 they should look spectacular it doesnt mean that every hunt in the WItcher will end with a cinematic, the cinematic was just for the show that it looks more epic.

Of course none of us knows, but I have seen way to many companies (EA, Ubisoft..etc) go the lazy route and do not make games, but interactive movies. I really want to believe that this will not be in the main game, but then why show it in a demo then? I have a feeling it will be in the main game and all "boss" battles will be scripted scenes. I really hate this turning games into cinematic experiences, all it does is rip away control from the gamers and force stupid events. I am more forgiving for the witcher since he is a fixed character, but I really do not want to see this in cyberpunk. I want my own character that allows me to create my own personality and play style. The last thing I want is for the game to rip control away from me and make my character do and say things that I do not want my character to do and then leave me to clean up the botched mess it made.

The last thing I want is for the game to rip control away from me and make my character do and say things that I do not want my character to do and then leave me to clean up the botched mess it made.

This isn't my last thing - since a) there's a long list of worse things and b) I do that in real life only too often, sometimes with disastrous consequences - but it is pretty important.

Let us remember the lesson of DXHR - if you give The People a Stealth Option or a Hack/Chat Option, Do Not Take It Away Later. At least not without damn good reason and boss fights or plot cutscenes aren't typically good enough reason.

Personally I don't really mind as long as cutscene has same gear that I'm wearing (unlike mass effect) and the guy doesn't say something totally stupid that is totally against that I would have done.

Years ago cutscenes (we called them beginning and ending demos) were the big thing when you finished the game. These days you can do those with game engine and are way more common and not so big deal. Still I'll take Witcher 2 or Deus Ex presentation any day over Skyrim or Half-Life presentation.

Last edited:
Don't you remember what "having control" on the "badass kill scenes/final blows" means? It means QTEs! If you want a kill to be somewhat different from your regular blows it's either an animation or QTE. Let's say your character has sword blows mapped to a button, that means he cuts with his sword when you push it. You can have the kill be cutting the enemy in half, cutting his head, slitting his throat, maybe stab him... but if for some reason you want a kill that is something special like choking him with his own weapon, breaking its neck or do something context sensitive... that's either a QTE or an animation.

I wouldn't want too many canned animations or else the game would run the risk of turning into Dragon's Lair 2077.

Deus Ex did that and it pissed me off. Oh, you did a stealth run? Too bad, now we are going to have your character be an idiot and walk in guns blazing on the final boss.

Do i have personality split and multiacount on this forum? This is exactly what i felt while playing the game.

DEHR fixed the boss battles, which had been farmed out to another company who didn't get Deus Ex very well.

I have no problem with takedowns, preferably positioning/skill derived, but I'd like to avoid forced cutscenes MOSTLY. Mostly, I say, because sometimes life doesn't go the way you planned it, no matter how clever you are.

"We all screw up sometimes. Even the best of us. Even you." to quote the Cyberpunk 2020 corebook under critical failure rules.

That said, unless you do screw up or it's a really important plot point, ( I mean REALLY important - critical) then I hate hate hate cutscene override. Just playing Wolfenstein New Order - great game, btw - and there are quite a few places where thy do that for "story" purposes. Now, WNO is an FPS, but it really frustartes me when I'm being careful, smart and I'm well armed and armoured and I climb a ladder only to be cutscene-ambushed by some weasel I easily spotted and could have just as easily creamed. Grrrr. So they can do a look-at-how-this-guy-is-a-dick exposition.

No. If you're going to capture me, just DO it in-game. Don't cheat. and if the AI and whatnot cannot capture me, then move the plot along.

I'm not a fan of cinematic moments of any type, and that includes "death" blows and such.
If I wanted to watch a movie I'd rent one, I want to play a game.

OK, the opening scene in Skyrim is a cinematic, but that's just to set up the game/background and a cute way to get you to the character creation process, so that one I can live with.
But after the first ogre and dragon fight in DA:O I hated having a character "stuck" in a lengthy kill animation during a battle, AND it did annoying things to my frame rate too.

Last edited:
Guys, guaranteed that cutscene was for the purposes of the demo. CDPR even removed the ( much shorter and more stylish ) cut scene finishers from the last game because of complaints from the fans.

I think the fatalities were handled well in the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series... er, at least in Skyrim and Fallout 3. I haven't had a chance to play the others. If they aren't done in a similar fashion to that, then I agree I probably wouldn't want them in the game. I'll stay open-minded for now, though. I don't think we've exhausted all of our options yet.

I think the fatalities were handled well in the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series... er, at least in Skyrim and Fallout 3.
I still remember this moment when character managed to behead enemy using a pickaxe. It was both hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. I'd rather see it done like in the newest "X-COM: Enemy Unknown". You had an option to disable the cinematic camera. It was important, because it had tendency to show "kill-hits" with regularity, removing the anticipation element out of the game. Fatalities do tend to be tiring over time as well. Overall it's much better to keep combat within the gameplay. Combat in "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare" managed to be fast and brutal to the point that I wasn't always able to register everything that happened, but I kind of liked it. It felt realistic that way.

Yeah I also liked that X-COM allowed me to disable the cinematic deaths, because once I'd seen them a couple times I couldn't think of any reason at all I'd want to see them again and they tended to interrupt the flow of battle.

Yeah, I think being able to enable and disable them at will, while also having them appear fairly infrequently, would be the best option.

Top Bottom