Letho: Kingslayer

+
Letho: Kingslayer

Is this card any good? My gut says no but I just can't be sure. He's at least John Natalis, right? Which means he can Commander's Horn.

He's been working great for me; I have Decoy and Commander's Horn that he can pull.

I don't think I've ever used his actual "Kingslayer" ability. :p

Yeah, destroying a leader would probably only be interesting against a leader with a longer lasting effect. Currently that's not really happening anywhere. Then again, I don't use that card, so maybe there's some value I don't see. And sure, against a leader with more strength, like for example Dagon, you would get decent value.

Used as a slightly weaker John Natalis it does seem like a pretty good card though. Of course if you don't have any tactic cards in your NG deck (for some NG archetypes these cards are probably not that useful), I doubt it's the best choice.

I've been using him with the nilfgaardian gate as NG has some excellent officers, but I don't know... NG gold slots are pretty competitive. New Yennefer gives NG a repeatable scorch, for example. I want to use Letho King because Letho's an awesome character and his other card is awful these days... but there's just something missing. I'll keep experimenting and see how he goes. Kingslayer for Commander's Horn or Nilf Gate in my soldier swarm deck should be viable, at least.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I like him, and yes i also see him as NG's Natalis, which you can pull great Tactics like Commander's Horn, Decoy, that silver that calls your weakest unit (cant recall the name sorry). Assassinate isnt really a good Tactics, unlike NR Reinforcement.

And to use his ability against a leader, only if against Unseen Lord, or your opponent buffed his Leader to crazy values.

devivre;n10254292 said:
Yeah, destroying a leader would probably only be interesting against a leader with a longer lasting effect. Currently that's not really happening anywhere. Then again, I don't use that card, so maybe there's some value I don't see. And sure, against a leader with more strength, like for example Dagon, you would get decent value.

Used as a slightly weaker John Natalis it does seem like a pretty good card though. Of course if you don't have any tactic cards in your NG deck (for some NG archetypes these cards are probably not that useful), I doubt it's the best choice.

He is great against Unseen Elder, but you dont see Unseen Elder often making it a bit less useful. If your opponent buffs their leader in some way it becomes pretty good as well, but this will probably happen more randomly than deliberately.

He is an okay card to me.

Assassinate is gold isn't it? Don't think Letho can pull it.

Only time I really see Leaders buffed is Arachas (Letho can't target) and accidentally in decks using Mahakam Ale.

TriforceDragon;n10257062 said:
He is great against Unseen Elder, but you dont see Unseen Elder often making it a bit less useful. If your opponent buffs their leader in some way it becomes pretty good as well, but this will probably happen more randomly than deliberately.

He is an okay card to me.

Right, against Unseen Elder I can see how it's useful. But I agree, that leader rarely sees play (although it quite often gets you an insane amount of value)

John Calveit players seem to like buffing their leader too, so that might be good as well :)

devivre;n10261112 said:
Right, against Unseen Elder I can see how it's useful. But I agree, that leader rarely sees play (although it quite often gets you an insane amount of value)

John Calveit players seem to like buffing their leader too, so that might be good as well :)

Unseen Elder will always (except in case of immunity) beat the highest creature on your opponents side. That is a pretty good deal in just about all cases.

However his problem is that, beeing a leader, your opponent knows you have him and will if at all possible save their own highest cards until after you played him.

Only time I have really found him useful is if I pull him with Usurper and then ressurect him with Cahir. Opponent never plays around double Unseen Elder.

I'm using him in a variant of the Item Spotter combo instead of Avallac'h. He gets Glorious Hunt or Peter via Nilf Gate. If I need neither he still helps pull Spotters via Recon.

The only thing he is worse at is getting access to Bonhart and Mandrake. While that's a pretty important thing to be worse at, I'm quite satisfied with the consistency regardless (I've also included Sarah).

I use Letho: Kingslayer with Commander's Horn and Marching Orders. There was also this one time when I used him to kill a buffed up Unseen Elder. I also like the flavor text for this card: "Why does this monk wear studded gloves?" It reminded me of when I was playing the Witcher 2, I was thinking "Why isn't anyone questioning this?!" :look:

he can also tutor portculis in slave theme decks, Treason in spy decks, and if you're really desperate, First Light to clear weather.
The one thing about his is that you REALLY have to build around using him...

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. He seems to be a theoretically good card, but aside from CH there's not much for him to DO. NG doesn't have much in the way of good tactics. I am using him more, and Nilfgaardian gate is interesting, since the officers have some powerful effects (cough peter cough). I think they need to come up with a new NG faction tactic to make him really attractive (like John and Reinforcement, where you really don't care if you have CH in hand since Reinforcement is often the one you want anyway).

Sorry to take a slight detour in this thread, but I came here looking for help with this exact card ^^
How exactly does his 'destroy an enemy leader' ability work? I've been trying to practice against the AI, and every time I play this card and choose this ability the enemy leader remains there and I get no boost. Nothing seems to happen. Tried in both back and front rows...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

SwissOctopus;n10384782 said:
Sorry to take a slight detour in this thread, but I came here looking for help with this exact card ^^
How exactly does his 'destroy an enemy leader' ability work? I've been trying to practice against the AI, and every time I play this card and choose this ability the enemy leader remains there and I get no boost. Nothing seems to happen. Tried in both back and front rows...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

You can only destroy enemy leaders after they are played and used their abilities and Arachas Qeen is totally immune.
He won't be played anymore after the Commanders Horn nerf.

Horn is getting nerfed?

In any case, I'm not overly worried about Letho's place in the game. There's bound to be more Tactic cards down the line.

Incidentally, I reached 4.25k yesterday playing Item Spotter. Letho helped a lot.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Do you use CH as your only silver tactic, to get with Letho Kingslayer?

I use Decoy, CH and Marching Orders on my Kingslayer deck, that way its very unlikely i'll get a brick card.

@DRK3: I don't have CH, it doesn't fit in the deck.
Glorious Hunt and Nilf Gate (for Peter) are the primary uses, but I also have two copies of Recon to pull Spotters early or getting Magne Division later on. It's very, very rare for Letho to be a brick.
He even got me Nilf Knight as a backup plan to Hunt or Sarah on a number of occasions, although that's not typically reliable ... still, without a big dude the deck does squat, so even a 50% chance is highly welcome.

Two days ago I used the kingslayer effect for the very first time (on Voorhis) and it won me the game XD
Actually, I think I used it once before on an empty board to win a dry-passed round two in order to keep a potential Recon on top of my deck.

Realistically, those two uses combined amount to approximately half a cookie point.

Top Bottom