Letho of Gulet Boosted + D-Bomb is too Strong

+
Currently Letho + D-bomb is not really problematic due to deck diversity and because it is inherently situational. If an opponent uses Letho in round 1 on a developed board (most common scenario), the opponent can instantly pass knowing that another card has to be played in order to achieve an actual impact (if D-bomb - two more cards if we count the D-shackles + Menno Coehoorn). As such, the move inherently grants the 'victim' card advantage, unless he plays on (not recommended, obviously).

As a finisher, the move should inherently be weaker; due to fewer units generally being present at later rounds coupled with the prevalence of agility, the effects of a Letho can be mitigated (keep track of how many golds and silvers have been played, often it is easy enough to spot a Letho deck due to the absence of one of either the staple NG silvers or golds).

That being said, from a long-term perspective Letho + D-bomb inherently limits design space. NG really cannot be given another CA tool on top of Cantarella/Ciri since it would off-set the only real (and great) weakness of the combo. Additionally, the combo is inherently extremely oppressive to certain archetypes (i.e. Queensguards/Reaver Hunter recycling decks, amongst others). In a ladder environment that is not such a big deal. In a tournament setting in which you know your opponent's leader/faction in advance, it can be gamebreaking.

Lastly, it also presents a challenge in terms of future card design. As long as Letho + D-bomb exists, cards akin to (not identical to) Queensguards, Reaver Hunters, Nekkers etc. cannot be created due to propelling Letho into an "I win"-button with no real counterplay.

I did not originally expect that they allow D-bomb to reset Letho to 1 strength. I assumed it was a bug due to the wording of the card as of previous patch. I think he should - like in closed beta - still strengthen rather than boost, making the combo into a 3-card combo (Letho + D-bomb/D-Shackles + Menno/Scorch/Igni/Villen pop). That would also expand Nilfgaard's design space further down the line, i.e. by giving them another CA spy (being the spy faction).

Letho/D.bomb or even just Letho in general is used to mess up single combo decks. Its what he does. The ability to banish 4 cards is incredible. If your whole deck can be ruined by one card then you deserve to lose. You need to balance out your decks to have more than one win condition.

Dyllusional;n9152740 said:
Letho/D.bomb or even just Letho in general is used to mess up single combo decks. Its what he does. The ability to banish 4 cards is incredible. If your whole deck can be ruined by one card then you deserve to lose. You need to balance out your decks to have more than one win condition.

Nope he is too strong he can be used in offense and defense. You can't play around him and you can't counter him at all. I can't just not play units to keep up...
Even when you don't find proper use it is still 7str gold that you are going to boost by some unit. It is too good.

Make it 1str loyal 7str disloyal then we can talk...

lomvicmarko;n9152840 said:
Nope he is too strong he can be used in offense and defense. You can't play around him and you can't counter him at all. I can't just not play units to keep up...
Even when you don't find proper use it is still 7str gold that you are going to boost by some unit. It is too good.

Make it 1str loyal 7str disloyal then we can talk...

Yes you can play around him, don't stack your cards on a single row and just buff them. That's what Dyllusional said, if your wincon is disrupted by one gold then you deserve to lose because your deck is just smorc me play proactive deck me smart.

While some ppl build decks to be as efficient as possible in the dumbest ways, other ppl take the risk to fill one gold and silver slot that doesn't fit in the deck archetype in order to maybe disrupt 1 uncounter out of 3.

For the record, Letho/D-Bomb is way less obnoxious now than Letho/BTM was in Closed Beta. Now, you're just losing 25 points of buffed strength. Back then it was a 50 point swing play.

I don't see a ton of Letho since they nerfed Calveit. But, if I see a Calveit deck, I almost always assume Letho is coming. Very rarely do I see him in Morvran or Emhyr decks. In my opinion, Nilfgaardian Silvers are way to amazing to waste a slot on D-Bomb in most cases.

lomvicmarko;n9153030 said:
So you totally ignored what I said and told me not stack "don't stack" .... :facepalm:

Do I need to quote the exact phrase ? "you can't play around him" yes you can, " you can't counter him" assuming you can counter every golds in gwent.
"Even when you don't find a proper use ... " it's a gold, if you don't find someway a proper use to a gold card you won't play it. It's Card Game's logic.
7 strengh gold card when loyal in last rounds wow so harsh, it must be 1 strengh gold card :huh:

This is a gold tech, designed to counter decks stacking or using few wincons, "proactive decks". This card is not even played that often and some people are arguing over this card because it's a counter ? That's curious.

How many games did you lose because of Letho honestly I wonder.

frbfree;n9153070 said:
For the record, Letho/D-Bomb is way less obnoxious now than Letho/BTM was in Closed Beta. Now, you're just losing 25 points of buffed strength. Back then it was a 50 point swing play.

I don't see a ton of Letho since they nerfed Calveit. But, if I see a Calveit deck, I almost always assume Letho is coming. Very rarely do I see him in Morvran or Emhyr decks. In my opinion, Nilfgaardian Silvers are way to amazing to waste a slot on D-Bomb in most cases.

Kinda how I felt. I was using it for a while. But some times I'd not get both cards others it wouldn't really reward me that much. Heck had it used against me for a total of 18 points last game. For two cards, that's not very strong.

Well, it requires a silver card and a gold card. So, we have strength of -2 swing (Letho after D-bomb - giving 1 point to the opponent leads to 2 points gap) + whatever Letho banished. All together it is typically around 20 - 25 points. So, we have around 12 points per card, maybe 11 - and that is a good case when all worked as intended. That is not that much for the gold+silver combo. The real benefit is banishing the cards consumed which can destroy the opponent deck win condition. That is perhaps the issue of Letho + D-Bomb which makes that combo so strong...

I must say that LethoDbomb combo is especially destructive against buffing decks. I have lost almost 3 games because of it. But I don´t find it more OP than for example Scorch or that stupid dragon. And it requires two card!
I´m currently considering to include Twisted mirror to turn this combo against its user. There is usually some ambassadored unit on his side of the board. :)

Yeah I don't think NG need to be nerfed further than they already have been especially with the amount of monster decks being played.

I'm not a fan of this combination, too. I think he should be strengthened instad of boosted. Sure, you can say NG is not good anyway, but then NG becomes relevant again, he could become a problem easily. For example many people said Celaeno Harpies weren't OP at the start of closed beta. They were nerfed by 2 points, but people think they are OP now (they are).

Last edited:
Why you guys wants him to be strengthened instead of boosted?

That is going to make a whole new problem with that meme Letho deck.

And that combo is only viable if the opponent has crazy buffed unit on a single row or just a typical QG deck that solely relies on QG to win. Against any kind of control / swarm deck that card is as good as a dead card. And never had any problem with this Letho + D bomb combo since I never had any crazy buffed unit on a single row and everytime my opponent does the Letho + D bomb combo it only gives him around 20 - 30 value which is shit if considering that he uses 2 card for that combo.

So, I think they kinda overdid it whit this nerf. Not only 2 cards down to destroy, but now he do Destroys and not Banishing them, plus the Gold Immunity gone from the game, it is highly unlikely for him to be played on your side of the board in 90% of the games. One plus - he can be Mennoed and it is a decent damage, but compared to some other faction feats, I think Letho under performs compared to them.

Perhaps make him Destroy the three units to the left, if he will not Banish the said two?

Top Bottom