Lets appreciate the star of the show

+

Guest 3847602

Just because you choose to play in a way where you aren't shooting at or near NPC's, that does not mean that other player aren't, and this should be catered for. The NPCs won't/can't fight V, even in a fist fight, nor will they even path-find around a vehicle that V parks on a path way, they just turn around and head back the way they came from :LOL:

I doubt that you looked at those videos in my previous post, but there show quite clearly the very restrictive behaviours of the NPC's, and that is in comparison to a game that was made and released 8 years ago. Quite shocking and sad to be honest.
Everyone is aware by now that NPC's responses to the situation you're describing are not very realistic. But you also said: "You don't need to cause "chaos" to see how unresponsive the NPC's are". That's what I still don't understand: if you leave them be, to what situation are they not responding?
Yes, V is a criminal too.
V is a criminal, not a psychopath. Mass murder of innocents isn't the only crime in existence.

The key phrase of my post about "just to be there" is :
"the realease happens, we have no time, unfortunately, we put them like that"
I really think CDPR wanted to do it better, but lack of time, pandemic, whatever the reason... it's too "basic" to be really intentional.
I can't believe NPCs/Traffic/Police are as CDPR really wanted to be :)

I absolutely agree. I think if they had way more time, they would have gotten there in the end. The potential is there, it was soo close too!

So.... the real message of this thread is: "The city is beautiful! But don't look too close and for too long. "

The city is not a picture. It's not a still image in your photo-mode. At night. And in rain. In story-important location full of detail and people.
The city in a videogame is supposed to be in motion. It's motion is suposed to convey the message of "the city". The way it works, the way it breathes. I am not a crazed gun-man myself. I want the city to just be all around me. I want to see people walking by and cars driving by. I want to see how that city exists without missions, without being in a rush, without killing everybody. And it doesn't. And that's the ugliest side of it. It is not alive. It is not a Star of the Show. A Star of the Show would be up front, in your face. Ready to interact with. Ready to breath it.

The world of Breath of the Wild is the Star of the Show, not Night City in Cyberpunk. One of the biggest complaints about Breath of the Wild that I've heard is that Nintendo focussed too much on the open world aspect of the game and everything involving exploration, and made the "dungeons" and places that people identify with Zelda are the second category content.

Night City in its current form is a second category content.

Everyone is aware by now that NPC's responses to the situation you're describing are not very realistic. But you also said: "You don't need to cause "chaos" to see how unresponsive the NPC's are". That's what I still don't understand: if you leave them be, to what situation are they not responding?

V is a criminal, not a psychopath. Mass murder of innocents isn't the only crime in existence.

You say that you don't watch the NPC's so you wont have noticed their issues. Just go somewhere busy and actually watch them. Or watch the comparison video? The first video is the fairest comparison I've seen as it has no inflections on either game and does not try to mock CP77, it just a straight up side by side comparison.

Obviously if the player choses not to interact with the NPC's then their is no input, thus no output/response. However that is an issue within itself, there are no other inputs at all! In GTA V you can be minding your own business and you might see a cop chase/shoot out with a random NPC, that will then cause other NPC's to run away or find cover. This would be all without the input from the player, thus making the AI seem more believable.

On the other hand, if the player decides to open fire in the streets (GTA V), people will still run away, find cover, and some might actually start shooting back too! This sadly does not happen in CP77, which it should as in the lore, lots of people own firearms not just cops, mercs, guards and gang members :LOL:

I'm not sure what you mean by saying mass murder isn't the only crime? Yeah, V doesn't have to be a psychopath to be a criminal.

Guest 3847602

You say that you don't watch the NPC's so you wont have noticed their issues. Just go somewhere busy and actually watch them.
I watch NPCs while I'm walking to the quest objective, I don't follow them around for no reason, because, frankly, that sounds like the ultimate waste of time.
In GTA V you can be minding your own business and you might see a cop chase/shoot out with a random NPC, that will then cause other NPC's to run away or find cover.
So? You can't see a car chase, but you definitely can run into random shootings and NPCs scattering off when it happens.
On the other hand, if the player decides to open fire in the streets (GTA V), people will still run away, find cover, and some might actually start shooting back too! This sadly does not happen in CP77, which it should as in the lore, lots of people own firearms not just cops, mercs, guards and gang members :LOL:
Cool...
I'm not sure what you mean by saying mass murder isn't the only crime? Yeah, V doesn't have to be a psychopath to be a criminal.
That being a criminal doesn't imply severe mental illness (which is what massacring civilians is, essentially).

I watch NPCs while I'm walking to the quest objective, I don't follow them around for no reason, because, frankly, that sounds like the ultimate waste of time.

In CP77 it is a waste of time, correct. (y)

So? You can't see a car chase, but you definitely can run into random shootings and NPCs scattering off when it happens.

No, those aren't random events, they are set pieces, that happen in the same place, and for some odd reason, they are marked on the map. What I was referring to was a random even. The NPC's created the entire even with no player input, which adds to the illusion that things still happen in the world even without the player doing anything, aka, immersion. What happens in CP77 are set pieces that are paused until the player arrives, which feels more like a stage play :LOL:

What a rebuttal ... :coolstory: Sorry, but the game doesn't even take into account the lore that it is set within.

That being a criminal doesn't imply severe mental illness (which is what massacring civilians is, essentially).

I never said anything to do with mental illness. This is a video game, not real life, its ok if NPC's die ..

The key phrase of my post about "just to be there" is :
"the realease happens, we have no time, unfortunately, we put them like that"
I really think CDPR wanted to do it better, but lack of time, pandemic, whatever the reason... it's too "basic" to be really intentional.
I can't believe NPCs/Traffic/Police are as CDPR really wanted to be :)

Time will tell then, I guess..

So.... the real message of this thread is: "The city is beautiful! But don't look too close and for too long. "
That is what I said. However, you have to remember that this is an Early Access Title, and they have always been very clear about that. They will continue to improve the game until the official release date. It's coming when it's ready, remember?

That is what I said. However, you have to remember that this is an Early Access Title, and they have always been very clear about that. They will continue to improve the game until the official release date. It's coming when it's ready, remember?

If CDPR had have actually launched the game as an Early Access title, they probably would have dodged a ton of flak :LOL:

No, you can drive or walk around the city and look at everything you see, the message is there. People are walking around, cars are driving through streets, the city is in motion. The gigs and other map markers are such that you can ignore them them and just keep walking. You dont have to kill anyone and you dont have to be in a rush. Noone stopped me while I was walking around to take that screenshot. The star of the show is right there, in front of you, but you ignore it.

I get it, you and a few others hate the game. No need to keep complaining, I heard you. Maybe time you moved on to something else if you hate it so much. In case you havent noticed, I dont want to have this argument and I wont. They created a great city, worth exploring the different aspects. If you dont want to do that, why are you even in this topic?

The way the city looks is only part of its appeal to me.. I enjoy playing the gigs and NCPD encounters to learn more about the people and main NPC's in a zone. Every time I do a playthrough, I pick one zone to explore and complete reading all the shards as they come up. In watson I always save Jotaro until last now.

There's plenty of places to explore, back alleys and the like but there's also the roof tops, each level seems to have it's own life going on.

Guest 3847602

In CP77 it is a waste of time, correct. (y)
I have beaten GTA5 twice and every GTA game before it at least once. I haven't spent one minute of my life stalking NPCs. For me, it is, was and always will be a monumental waste of time.
No, those aren't random events, they are set pieces, that happen in the same place, and for some odd reason, they are marked on the map.
Yes, they are random events and no, they are not marked on the map. I'm not talking about Assault in Progress, there are random crimes in the game, like skirmishes between gangs or bombs being planted in someone's car. Or this, for example:
What a rebuttal ... :coolstory: Sorry, but the game doesn't even take into account the lore that it is set within.
Wasn't a rebuttal, it's: "Oh, great, I don't care..."
I never said anything to do with mental illness. This is a video game, not real life, its ok if NPC's die ..
Thanks for pointing out to me it's only a video game. Would have never guessed otherwise.
It still doesn't explain why would a mercenary with no mental health issues decide to start murdering random passers-by.

I get it, you and a few others hate the game. No need to keep complaining, I heard you. Maybe time you moved on to something else if you hate it so much. In case you haven't noticed, I dont want to have this argument and I wont. They created a great city, worth exploring the different aspects. If you dont want to do that, why are you even in this topic?

The people you're referring to only wanted the game to be what was promised, and they're just disappointed. It's not hate.

I have beaten GTA5 twice and every GTA game before it at least once. I haven't spent one minute of my life stalking NPCs. For me, it is, was and always will be a monumental waste of time.

Then try RDR2 ...

Wasn't a rebuttal, it's: "Oh, great, I don't care..."

interesting that you don't care about the lore .. in a game about immersion and world building :coolstory:

Thanks for pointing out to me it's only a video game. Would have never guessed otherwise.
It still doesn't explain why would a mercenary with no mental health issues decide to start murdering random passers-by.

You are inserting real world logic into your way of playing V by assuming V would need to have a mental illness to shoot at pedestrian NPC's. But that's how you play. Other's may want to play V as a "bad" merc who does do bad things, and that has nothing to do with any form of mental illness. Some people might want to be their own version of Adam Smasher, the solo who is actually quite evil and .. oh right, the lore isn't important :sneaky:

interesting that you don't care about the lore .. in a game about immersion and world building :coolstory:

Other's may want to play V as a "bad" merc who does do bad things, and that has nothing to do with any form of mental illness. Some people might want to be their own version of Adam Smasher, the solo who is actually quite evil and .. oh right, the lore isn't important
If you are going to play the card of the lore at least play it fully. The Cyberpunk tabletop includes Empathy and Humanity stats, and is directly stated that you loose it playing as a psycho and then... game over,turn your player character to the Game Master-which is not an unseen mechanic in a computer RPG, Vampire had humanity and Masquerade Violations-. I agree that CDPR made a mistake not including this stats in the character creation, but I guess that we would have had a whole thread about "why I cannot put all the cyberware that I want in my character".

You are inserting real world logic into your way of playing V by assuming V would need to have a mental illness to shoot at pedestrian NPC's. But that's how you play. Other's may want to play V as a "bad" merc who does do bad things, and that has nothing to do with any form of mental illness. Some people might want to be their own version of Adam Smasher, the solo who is actually quite evil and .. oh right, the lore isn't important :sneaky:
On the lore front that would make you a Cyberpsycho and you should be taken out by Maxtac https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/MaxTac

Last edited:
If you are going to play the card of the lore at least play it fully. The Cyberpunk tabletop includes Empathy and Humanity stats, and is directly stated that you loose it playing as a psycho and then... game over,turn your player character to the Game Master-which is not an unseen mechanic in a computer RPG, Vampire had humanity and Masquerade Violations-. I agree that CDPR made a mistake not including this stats in the character creation, but I guess that we would have had a whole thread about "why I cannot put all the cyberware that I want in my character".

I'm not trying to play cards, I originally stated that CDPR have veered away from the lore regarding NC residents and how they are supposed to be armed and often dangerous. In game it only seems to be the gangs, guards, and cops that are armed and willing to fight. In fact it also seems like V is the only merc in NC as she/he is doing all the work :LOL:

And the "oh right, the lore isn't important" was specifically in regards to the person I was replying to.

What you say about cyberware is interesting, I feel CDPR missed a massive trick in this area. You can kit V out with pretty much anything whit no consequences which is super sad. I think they should have had some sort of cyberpsycho metre in the game, where if you add too much cyberware it starts to malfunction and V loses control. Different cybereware could have added more or less "points" to the cyberpsycho metre to help balance the play though and not allow V to become a god of death and destruction :LOL:
Post automatically merged:

On the lore front hat would make you a Cyberpsycho and you should be taken out by Maxtac https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/MaxTac

And that would have been awesome to see. To see MACTAC swoop in and start fighting with V would have been a super tough fight, perhaps even a rewarding one too if V won?

And that would have been awesome to see. To see MACTAC swoop in and start fighting with V would have been a super tough fight, perhaps even a rewarding one too if V won?
If Max Tac was implemented properly there would be two outcomes, death or incarceration. Even if you took out one squad, there would be more. A bit like trying to take out a SWAT team single handed, the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

If Max Tac was implemented properly there would be two outcomes, death or incarceration. Even if you took out one squad, there would be more. A bit like trying to take out a SWAT team single handed, the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Its also a game so some sort of chance to "win" should be implemented, such as using stealth tech to evade or being so jacked up on cybernetics you could overpower a couple of them if you spread them out a bit ect.

However, even if it was a full blown conclusion, that too would have served a purpose. Ie, don't do X activity or MACTAC will get you, thus stopping players from doing something that isn't supposed to be done.

I'm not saying the cops/MAXTAC had to be as good and as varied as the cops in GTA V, but something similar would have been nice to see and would have added a lot more fun for many players (obviously not everyone)

Guest 3847602

Then try RDR2 ...
No thanks, life is too short for that.
Ironic, because your response to another lore-related subject:
"If Max Tac was implemented properly there would be two outcomes, death or incarceration."
is this:
Its also a game so some sort of chance to "win" should be implemented,
If you want to play the lore purist, be consistent about. ;)

And to repeat: Night City looks more than real enough to maintain the illusion of a living world while I'm doing the things that I'm actually interested in. It just so happens that those things don't involve "fascinating" activities like V tailing random NPCs and mass murders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom