Lets appreciate the star of the show

+
I noticed people talking about how the game should have been or where there were mistakes. Especially when it comes to the open world people suggest that it should have been more linear or that the open world should have been dropped entirely. In case you didnt guess it already, the star of the show is the City itself(some maybe thought I was going to say Jackie, he is a close second). I do hope some of you who havent explored the city, were curious and continue reading.

I feel like the people who suggest it be dropped havent really explored it, either because they didnt want to or because they fast travel alot and jump from gig to gig. They should really just walk around or drive around and see what the city is about, how its put together. Because its an absolute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Certain area's like Kabuki or even Japantown do a really good job at showing you the city within its cyberpunk setting. A dystopia, where you have the rich and the corpo's on one end and the downtrodden and poor on the other. Go to Kabuki and look at the buildings, imagine the neon wasnt there. What you'd see is grey, grey and more grey. Thats their existence to which the locals applied colour, mainly with neon lights that take your eyes away from the dump behind that facade. boulevards with neon lights and colourful signs. But as soon as you turn into an alley, you find shacks(with metal roofs, hell when the sun is up) trash everywhere and people sleeping in tents if they are lucky, if not they sleep on the ground in the open.

So much to see and learn about the world without dialogue or even NPCs. The people who made the city did a great job on showing us what the cyberpunk world looks like and did a great job overall. Its a work of quality, different buildings and different styles for different parts of the city. No two corners are the same. There are a few small slipups here and there were you can see through the world, but I can easily forgive that because everything else is wellmade and thought out. Just think of how the highways fit right into the city and pass through the skyscrapers.

Ofcourse it only gets better when you ad in the NPCs. You dont need to talk to them, thats not why they are there. They are there to complete the scene. From bums living in shantytowns in the middle of the city to the corpo's at the city center. The downtrodden and their kitsch clothing, cheap but colourful garments. At times I pick up pants made from awful material, like cheap plastic. I can feel the plastic rub over my skin, I can hear it creek as I wear it *shudders*(away with it, yeet it off the side of the planet, please). Contrasted by the colourful but better quality, expensive neokitsch style of corpo's like Maiko Maeda, the type of dresses and suits you can only buy at the corpo shops like Jinguji.

If you havent explored the city yet, I ask that you do so. See the world the way it is and understand how much of a dystopia it really is. The different Gigs also play their role aswell as shards that tell you about the different stories of the inhabitants of NC. They help complete the picture. I noticed that streamers of Youtubers who read the shards and the mission descriptions were more enganged in the story and the setting than those who didnt read the shards and just ran from one 'fetch' quest to the next. For the latter it was a fun game where the mechanics were the priority. I cant tell people how to play the game but I think they miss out when they ignore the setting. And not giving you that city through the open world mechanic, would have been a huge mistake in my opinion, especially now that I've seen it.

since a picture is better than a thousand words, here is one;
photomode_05052021_015305.png

Thats all I've got, so did you experience the city?

I agree, they have done a huge and awesome work on Night City :)

I also can forgive the few defaults, because Night City is pretty gigantic (in 3 dimensions). It seems difficult to me that everything is perfect. Like a little "hole" between two walls completely lost in Kabuki where you can see the "void"... If I don't take a screenshot right away, there is little/no chance that I will ever see it again...

After hours and hours (hundreds ?), I still spend lot of time to just walk around (maybe find an unknown area, that's quite rare now). And damn, I'm always impressed by the details everywhere...

Night City itself (and alone), for me, it's just the best open world I have ever explore (and by far).

Night city is the best city ive ever seen in a game and i love it, the rest of this game though... questionable.
Depends on what you are talking about, because many of the things you find in game like the gigs talk about the world and explain how dystopian it is. The police is as corrupt as can be, gangs rule the streets often with Corpo blessing.

Having a job is hard, a third of the population is unemployed. If you have a job, you are basicly a slave who spends more time at that job than in your own bed. Or you could try starting up your own bussiness, but if its in the city the gangs will stop by to extort you by demanding protection pay or trash your bussiness as it rivals one of theirs(maybe one that pays them). If you grow a larger bussiness away from gang reach, a corporation may see you as a threat and send in a corpo squad to trash your place and kill you.

If you arent lucky to by born into upper circles, then you most definitly live in a dystopia. And the game tells you through the world, the city itself but also through your various interactions with gangs and corpo's.

Depends on what you are talking about, because many of the things you find in game like the gigs talk about the world and explain how dystopian it is. The police is as corrupt as can be, gangs rule the streets often with Corpo blessing.

Having a job is hard, a third of the population is unemployed. If you have a job, you are basicly a slave who spends more time at that job than in your own bed. Or you could try starting up your own bussiness, but if its in the city the gangs will stop by to extort you by demanding protection pay or trash your bussiness as it rivals one of theirs(maybe one that pays them). If you grow a larger bussiness away from gang reach, a corporation may see you as a threat and send in a corpo squad to trash your place and kill you.

If you arent lucky to by born into upper circles, then you most definitly live in a dystopia. And the game tells you through the world, the city itself but also through your various interactions with gangs and corpo's.

I wasnt referring to lore, I was referring to technical state of the game to be fair, I like the cars, the setting, atmosphere, some quests are cool but content has been severely cut and outside of actual missions and scripted races, there's literally nothing to do, no instances, very few if any random encounters etc

That's what I did. I ditched the story as fast as possible and started exploring the available part of the city. I noticed the shortcomings very quickly. Disappearing and reappearing people and vehicles. No motorcycles actually driving through the city. Missing models and/or textures. Very poor LOD and distant objects, made of as few polygons as possible, making the city in the distance look like it's made of cardboard. Textures and objects loading right in front of me. The crowds and vehicles AI not being able to handle the simplest of tasks. Buildings made of the same models and textures tretched or deformed, especially AC units and vents on the buildings. Buildings positioned in ways causing windows to merge half way into fasades of other buildings. 2D, poorly animated traffic in the distance. Terribly low framerate adds and tv programms. All the technical glitches.

I was very thorough. I saw it all. I regret I havent been taking any screenshots. If you didn't see any graphical shortcomings, I don't think you were exploring carefully enough. I did. That's what I do. I look at every single texture, every single model. I walk away, I look from a distance, I look through a zoom. I take note of graphical fidelity because I love all those small little details. And I hate seeing that the details I'm looking for are simply not there.

The game looks good at times. ***AT TIMES***
When the light is just right. When it's night time and you can't see too far. When there is fog or rain that obscures visibility even more. When you are in a story-important location.

I played dozens of games. Hundreds. This one is not the prettiest. Great artstyle. Terrible execution full of imperfections. Quantity over quality with rushed production and technical downgrade on top.

I walked or drove to every gig and drove when visiting vendors. I spent a lot of time wandering around, looking for NCPD dispatches or just interesting encounters in the open world (one of my favorite things to do in open world games). I fast traveled maybe half a dozen times in over 150 hours.

The city is visually stunning, but from a gameplay perspective it is an empty shell. There are locked doors everywhere, NPCs and encounters are static and fixed and often don't respawn, and even landmark locations (such as the Gamorrah club/brothel) are just facades with no interior or interaction.

Night City feels like an environmental tech demo turned up to eleven (think Unigine Valley or Heaven), not like a fully-realized game world. I believe they could have achieved the same atmosphere and immersion without a fully traversable map ("open world") and instead focused on those areas that were necessary to the actual narrative and gameplay.

So, sorry, the people saying that Night City should have been cut actually have explored it. The exploration is the entire reason WHY people have that opinion to begin with.

I believe they could have achieved the same atmosphere and immersion without a fully traversable map ("open world") and instead focused on those areas that were necessary to the actual narrative and gameplay.
I don't agree, I played only a little more than 15hrs on Deus Ex - MD, because of that. I had the feeling to be in a (big) corridor and not in a city... for me, just too boring.

I don't agree, I played only a little more than 15hrs on Deus Ex - MD, because of that. I had the feeling to be in a (big) corridor and not in a city... for me, just too boring.
It doesn't need to be a corridor. It is actually possible to have nuance and middle ground here. Not everything is a dichotomy between vast open world and corridor shooter.

It doesn't need to be a corridor. It is actually possible to have nuance and middle ground here. Not everything is a dichotomy between vast open world and corridor shooter.
Obviously ;)
It's for that I said Deus Ex - MD, it's not a real "corridor", but it's not open like Night City could be.
(I could also said Outer worlds, it's not open world, but also too restricted for me. Because of course, it's just my opinion as a serious amateur of open world).

Obviously ;)
It's for that I said Deus Ex - MD, it's not a real "corridor", but it's not open like Night City could be.
(I could also said Outer worlds, it's not open world, but also too restricted for me. Because it's just my opinion).
What are you able to do in Cyberpunk that you couldn't do if it wasn't fully open world? Just saying "its boring" is really side-stepping the issue.

I was going to give an example, but I changed my mind. So I will do it :D

I just wander around at random to pass the time (I have a lot to spend. Already 45 hours on 1.23). Just to explore or go see stuff. Like a NPC who has a weird icon that a member of this forum saw.

But a good example, I bought AC Origins & Odyssey just for the open world. I'm not particularly a fan of the license, but I like going from island to island in Odyssey (because I'm not going to lie, in Odyssey, other than walking around to explore/visit, there isn't much thing to do either on the map).
So Night City is far better (for me) than all open world in therm of complexity, size and beauty :)

What are you able to do in Cyberpunk that you couldn't do if it wasn't fully open world? Just saying "its boring" is really side-stepping the issue.
I really enjoy wandering around and finding some of the little things that have been intentionally left unmarked, like the block parties and tai chi, or listening in on some of the conversations between npcs. In a hub based world there would be less of this, because if would feel contrived and cluttered IMHO if you tried to squeeze it all in to a small space. The scale of the city makes these gems more special when you find them.
Even in real cities there are lots of large areas where not a lot happens at certain times of day.

I really enjoy wandering around and finding some of the little things that have been intentionally left unmarked, like the block parties and tai chi, or listening in on some of the conversations between npcs. In a hub based world there would be less of this, because if would feel contrived and cluttered IMHO if you tried to squeeze it all in to a small space. The scale of the city makes these gems more special when you find them.
That's the thing, though. There aren't a lot of "gems," especially relative to the amount of content in the game, or the game world.

Just because the game world isn't open doesn't mean it needs to be "small." But greater density would certainly help the lack of dynamism and interaction.

Clutter certainly isn't a problem that Night City is in ANY danger of encountering.

Even in real cities there are lots of large areas where not a lot happens at certain times of day.
True, but Night City is supposed to be replicating a city with a full day-night cycle, which means that there should be something going on in major locations eventually. If nothing is going to happen in an area, then it doesn't really need to be present as part of the traversible area. That doesn't mean it can't be visible from those areas of the map that can be traversed. But it isn't relevant to the gameplay experience otherwise.

This is already the case at the existing map edge. Are we going to argue that the map should have extended out even further to incorporate these border zones in the open world? Clearly not. There's a happy medium where the world can feel uncramped while also being well-populated.

Top Bottom