Let's compare bronze Syndicate cards to bronzes in other factions for a good laugh!

+
But if you remove removal you will have a not interactive engine vs engine or point slam vs point slam. Basically a solitaire game where you don't mind what opponent is doing. (think about nekker deck or greatsword) pretty boring imho. Control has been a fundamental part of this game since cb (one of midwinter problem was that some form of control, like lock, basically diseappeared)
I'm not against control, I'm against insane removal. Beta had its issues once Viper Witcher was playable 6 times. Engines in another post I mentioned engines need a rework so charges don't stack. Damage over 2pts a turn is excessive and 4 - 8 pt is insane. Why have a game plan if everything is removed. Let decks have as many bleed units as necessary, 1 big removal card, 1 lock, 1 Artifact then strategize what needs removed by anticipation. The strategy of what and when to remove would help playability. Honestly will take work but I think world create a better game.
Post automatically merged:

And you think it's entertaining to watch someone clean your board with the "folsted pride"? Or play a card and see how it is worth much less than the opponent's since their cards make the previous ones worth a lot more than their cost, even in the long term.
The control with "kill" will not stop existing in great quantity since the mechanics of charges, if it is allowed to play to freedom, is the strongest that the game has. We have a bit of that with SY today, what happens when your carryover is invulnerable. The charges are even stronger because they are not limited to 9.
I'm all for charges going away. Engines are too binary, either they are removed aor they stack charges. I'd like to see orders go away oon small units and only stay on bigger cards like vattier, avellache etc. Charges should only be used that turn, so you can ping away at an enemy. This way both sides can feel like they got some value out of their cards. Instead of huge removal every turn.

Last edited:
I don't think a lot less is a good idea either. It will make the remaining control cards auto included. Control is very tricky in Gwent, one big engine can easily win the round alone (Foltest Pride, Vysigota) and because of the "no draw between turn" you have a couple of turns to destroy the card or lose.

When you have to do these kind of cascade changes it means that the first change was not a good idea.

Cascade changes are needed if the game is fundamentally flawed and that is definitely my current opinion. Far too much control in the game makes many strategies pointless. The game is also too much of a rock paper scissors contest.

Guest 4305932

I'm not against control, I'm against insane removal. Beta had its issues once Viper Witcher was playable 6 times. Engines in another post I mentioned engines need a rework so charges don't stack. Damage over 2pts a turn is excessive and 4 - 8 pt is insane. Why have a game plan if everything is removed. Let decks have as many bleed units as necessary, 1 big removal card, 1 lock, 1 Artifact then strategize what needs removed by anticipation. The strategy of what and when to remove would help playability. Honestly will take work but I think world create a better game.
Post automatically merged:

I'm all for charges going away. Engines are too binary, either they are removed aor they stack charges. I'd like to see orders go away oon small units and only stay on bigger cards like vattier, avellache etc. Charges should only be used that turn, so you can ping away at an enemy. This way both sides can feel like they got some value out of their cards. Instead of huge removal every turn.

Without charges and order on bronze you will have a point slam situation (similar to Midwinter) which is bad for the game or normal engines which can be binary just like charges engines. Having a gameplan doesn't means you have to be able to play it consistently or it will become like in beta with stale gameplay and already know outcome. The game gives his best when you can't just follow your gameplan imho.

Cascade changes are needed if the game is fundamentally flawed and that is definitely my current opinion. Far too much control in the game makes many strategies pointless. The game is also too much of a rock paper scissors contest.

If the game is fundamentally flawed cascade changes will not fix it. The problem is simply a balance one imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the game is fundamentally flawed cascade changes will not fix it. The problem is simply a balance one imho.

A large rework is basically the only possibility of doing anything.

There is no way to fix this with regular balance changes. I will agree that such a rework is probably not pracitical and isn't going to happen. It's just such a glaring problem that people will always bring up.

This game is broken because Skellige and Syndicate cards. Literally.

Just look these images. It was a super short round (My opponent has only 3 cards in hand and 0 coins)

First turn he uses her ability and then this, a 4 bronze card:

20190708_192128.jpg

Second turn he plays Bincy Blumerholdt + The Flying Redanian (17 pts)

And third round he plays Fence again (4 bronze card)

20190708_192259.jpg

Points in total? 32... 3 cards in hand and 2 of them were 4 provision bronzes. Easy win.

Wtf is this???

What a bad joke. This game is unplayable in it's current state against Skellige/Syndicate.

Attachments

• 20190708_192128.jpg
    20190708_192128.jpg
    974.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 20190708_192259.jpg
    20190708_192259.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 179

rrc

Forum veteran
This game is broken because Skellige and Syndicate cards. Literally.

Just look these images. It was a super short round (My opponent has only 3 cards in hand and 0 coins)

First turn he uses her ability and then this, a 4 bronze card:

20190708_192128.jpg

Second turn he plays Bincy Blumerholdt + The Flying Redanian (17 pts)

And third round he plays Fence again (4 bronze card)

20190708_192259.jpg

Points in total? 32... 3 cards in hand and 2 of them were 4 provision bronzes. Easy win.

Wtf is this???

What a bad joke. This game is unplayable in it's current state against Skellige/Syndicate.
I am scared to explain, but let me try. You are talking about a single use leader who can burst 9 points and have strong synergy with the said cards. The same kind of thing could not be done by any of the other SY leaders. Just so happens that Gurdun has a strong short R3, like *many other leaders*. Proper play should have been to bleed her in R2 until she uses her ability.

In a short R3, Henselt can also achieve such tempo. SpellWeiver and Henselt's abilty on him with, lets say Sile and another mage card can get 30+ tempo.
In a short R3, Woodland Spirit can easily achieve 30+ points. Against WS, you never go for short R3.
In a short R3, even Francesca can also get 30+ points. Fauve+WoBx2 and even a couple of 4P card can be 30+ points.
In a short R3, Harald and Eist can also get 30+ points easily.
For NG, with little bit of help from RNGesus, Calveit, Anna can reach huge tempo too.

The point is, some leaders are very strong in short R3. When facing Harald, you do whatever you can to bleed him in R2 until he uses his wincon; his ability + Dagur. If you can't do that, it is game over. When facing Francesca, you never give her a long round; she may have double Rag or WoB or NovigradianJustice etc. Same goes for all the leaders I have mentioned above. You know you are losing definitely when they get a short R3 with the leader ability still unused.

Also, Fence becoming 9 is actually 7 provisions and not 4 provisions. I agree that the flexibility for cards to adjust their provisions based on coins, paying fee, is strong, but nonetheless, the 4 provision card doesn't come with 9 points. Same can be told about Sea Jackal, who, when using 8 provisions (thus becoming 12 provisions card) can become 14 points, provided you had full 9 coins in your bank. When seeing a 14 points bronze, coming from a 4P card, it is easily so annoying that we think it is a 4P card that went up to 14, but it is not.

I am not saying SY is NOT Strong. But this particular case is not something SY exclusive.

DRK3

Forum veteran
That SY play isnt even nowhere near the best.

If he had played Bincy 1st and used Leader ability, 2nd played Fence, then used Sea Jackal to ACTUALLY use the coins he had left, he would have gotten 37pts i think.

BTW, your description of what happened is wrong - he used Bincy+Leader first, and then the 2 fences, at least if he had 0 coins at start of the round like you described.

I am scared to explain, but let me try. You are talking about a single use leader who can burst 9 points and have strong synergy with the said cards. The same kind of thing could not be done by any of the other SY leaders. Just so happens that Gurdun has a strong short R3, like *many other leaders*. Proper play should have been to bleed her in R2 until she uses her ability.

In a short R3, Henselt can also achieve such tempo. SpellWeiver and Henselt's abilty on him with, lets say Sile and another mage card can get 30+ tempo.
In a short R3, Woodland Spirit can easily achieve 30+ points. Against WS, you never go for short R3.
In a short R3, even Francesca can also get 30+ points. Fauve+WoBx2 and even a couple of 4P card can be 30+ points.
In a short R3, Harald and Eist can also get 30+ points easily.
For NG, with little bit of help from RNGesus, Calveit, Anna can reach huge tempo too.

The point is, some leaders are very strong in short R3. When facing Harald, you do whatever you can to bleed him in R2 until he uses his wincon; his ability + Dagur. If you can't do that, it is game over. When facing Francesca, you never give her a long round; she may have double Rag or WoB or NovigradianJustice etc. Same goes for all the leaders I have mentioned above. You know you are losing definitely when they get a short R3 with the leader ability still unused.

Also, Fence becoming 9 is actually 7 provisions and not 4 provisions. I agree that the flexibility for cards to adjust their provisions based on coins, paying fee, is strong, but nonetheless, the 4 provision card doesn't come with 9 points. Same can be told about Sea Jackal, who, when using 8 provisions (thus becoming 12 provisions card) can become 14 points, provided you had full 9 coins in your bank. When seeing a 14 points bronze, coming from a 4P card, it is easily so annoying that we think it is a 4P card that went up to 14, but it is not.

I am not saying SY is NOT Strong. But this particular case is not something SY exclusive.
Yes, but you can't do such things with 2 out of 3 cards being 4 provision bronzes. That's the point.

A card game where you punished to put cards on the board, because SY only gathers coins and wait to ''cast'' bounty, after that machine gunning +Philippa (not broken at all) for another 15+ point swing average.....

As I said, midwinter disaster compared to this is pure gold and science....:facepalm:

A card game where you punished to put cards on the board
It's funny and tragic at the same time. I can't think of another card game where you actually think "oh no, I don't want to play out a card". Shouldn't the norm be "oh, opponent plays this strategy, interesting, let's see, I'll play this card to help me counter it"
Well, I assume the data, CDPR is collecting, prove us wrong. Else SY would have already been taken down for a serious re-work.

It's funny and tragic at the same time. I can't think of another card game where you actually think "oh no, I don't want to play out a card". Shouldn't the norm be "oh, opponent plays this strategy, interesting, let's see, I'll play this card to help me counter it"
Well, I assume the data, CDPR is collecting, prove us wrong. Else SY would have already been taken down for a serious re-work.

Hah exactly that and you are right, funny and tragic......
Nah, you forgetting that CDPR never proved us wrong (at least when we come to the Gwent) and I could name few reasons why SY is not down and under rework....
Also don't forget past with MO and SK dominating, it is always few months of ignoring everything then patch with some cards provision nerf and that's it.....

This is heaven for netdeckers while so many peoples left or leaving every day, but CDPR don't care about that otherwise they would do everything very differently....

Don't worry guys. They are too busy working on implementing the game for mobile.

Expect some patching after that.

I'm hoping for a really good patch to balance cards and put bronze cards in line across the factions. I'm still worried that even with such a patch removal will still be a big issue. Removal is just too strong.

I'm hoping for a really good patch to balance cards and put bronze cards in line across the factions. I'm still worried that even with such a patch removal will still be a big issue. Removal is just too strong.
Card strength should be at least doubled for all cards. Reducing overall card strength with HC was a bad decision as this significantly limits the possibility of fine-tuning the point value of cards. Cards like Geralt: Igni, Schirru and Foltest's Pride can get crazy value because of their unlimited variance, overall card strength being so close together and the existence of the problematically binary artifacts with Orders that ping the opponent's cards.

In general bronzes should get more strength and synergies, but reduced direct damage capabilities (relative to increased overall card strength).

Last edited:
A good question to ask is how much is one bounty worth? Caleb Menge needs to spend 3 coins to set a bounty. So the cost of a bounty is 3 coins. But profit from a bounty is from 4 to 9 coins (Pugo,Old Spearatip). Ususaly bounty is put on 4-5p units.

Slander (4 prov.) - 3+3 coins and a synergy with Cutup Lackey and units with Intimidate.
Witch Hunter (4 prov.) - 4p body + 3 coins.

I would say that revenue of those two cards in SY decks is close to 8,5-9 points for 4p provision.

It's hard to put a value on bounty. It's a little bit of an all or nothing kind of thing but if managed properly, a bounty is basically a death sentence. I ran a deck where, if possible, on the last round, I just played bounty after bounty on enemy units. I didn't care if they killed my small units. Yrden to reset the boosted ones and at the end of the round executioner to just exterminate all of them. Graden kept to kill a big boosted unit. Whoreson or Gudrun for extra damage/coins if needed.
Then for the opponent it's either you can purify your units (or transform them like draugr) or you get wiped out...

I just learned in a hard way that when you put a bounty on a Svalblod Fanatic when Totem damage them you dont get coins for the bounty. So to get bonus for a bounty on Svalblod Fanatic you have to kill it with Moreelse or Garden.

The bounty gets removed when the unit is transformed, like other status. It's not the fanatic anymore...

Top Bottom