Let's complain about things that aren't parroted in the media

+
I definitely do not believe that The Witcher 3 did any better, I think you should reconsider this statement.

But I whole heartedly agree with the rest of your post so much!

There were so many better ways of going about introducing these gigs and hustles, in much more immersive fashions that could have given Night City a lot more character.

A real missed opportunity.
Post automatically merged:

Even simply disabling the map icons implying that these hustles are all happening simultaneously all over the map and are just waiting for V to just happen by would work wonders.

Because every hustle has the NCPD dispatcher call happening when you're in proximity, just disable the damned icons CDPR...
You can change the map to only show certain icons, instead of all of them

I definitely do not believe that The Witcher 3 did any better, I think you should reconsider this statement.

There were so many better ways of going about introducing these gigs and hustles, in much more immersive fashions that could have given Night City a lot more character.

Even simply disabling the map icons implying that these hustles are all happening simultaneously all over the map and are just waiting for V to just happen by would work wonders.

Because every hustle has the NCPD dispatcher call happening when you're in proximity, just disable the damned icons CDPR...
Or, simply educate players on the filter capabilities. Ironically, a lot more could have been done with the T-Bug training. But still, are players really that compromised by a plethora of choices that it hurt that much to deal with the clusterfuck? Honestly, it didn't bother me at all. The icons on the map were the least of my concern, navigating the city by itself was more (pleasantly) overwhelming than caring about sticky notes on a map LOL!

You can change the map to only show certain icons, instead of all of them
I don't have the mini-map enabled, I was talking about the global map and having them displayed at all (not a togglable feature, which beats the purpose since the game wasn't designed with that in mind).

I could also wish for a timer on these things and a randomized way of them showing up as well so they're not predictable.

Heck you could have them respawn at future points if the main character missed the opportunity to complete any of them for one reason or another, maybe shuffle some of the NPC's and objectives as well so they seem more dynamic but not completely randomly generated, I.E. Tyger Claw mobs being involved in a shootout with the NCPD and as an aside the same Tyger Claw mob being involved in some trafficking gig with the Maelstrom and vice versa but not both at the same time if you catch my drift.

Have a system like that, that makes sense, breathing life into these very, very static missions that seem incredibly generic at a glance (yes they have stories on shards that connect which is interesting, but it's not enough).

Or, simply educate players on the filter capabilities. Ironically, a lot more could have been done with the T-Bug training. But still, are players really that compromised by a plethora of choices that it hurt that much to deal with the clusterfuck? Honestly, it didn't bother me at all. The icons on the map were the least of my concern, navigating the city by itself was more (pleasantly) overwhelming than caring about sticky notes on a map LOL!
Neither was I, I just think it's too gamey and does a great disservice to the overall game and it's implied design philosophies (like great attention to detail when it comes to main quest and side quest design, city design intricacies, overall art style, audio design and composition etc.), it's amateurish and crass in the grand scheme of things.

I was talking about the main map too. You can change the options as to what's shown on the map by category, like shops. As i said earlier, there's the N.C.P.D. database Vic links us to, as well as remote access to the net at anytime it seems, it's perfectly reasonable for V to have picked on on various incidents though their implants. Be thankful this isn't Shadowrun where you'd need a datajack, a cyberdeck (physical, not the implants like V has), a place to jack in, and a bunch of attack and defense programs to get anywhere near the net without having your brain fried.

Neither was I, I just think it's too gamey and does a great disservice to the overall game and it's implied design philosophies (like great attention to detail when it comes to main quest and side quest design, city design intricacies, overall art style, audio design and composition etc.), it's amateurish and crass in the grand scheme of things.
Honestly, I think if the development team had more time and more effective management, the plethora of shards wouldn't have needed to exist. A lot of that could have been in-game events. Seeing those things happen rather than pulling a shard to read the outcome. I usually don't know which side to take about it, when it comes to the developers. Some stuff I think is novice, other things I'm trying to figure out if it was intentional. Some things I don't know if it was slacker design or bad management. Everybody probably knows by now what stuff was overwhelmingly well-executed vs egregious flaws. For me, I've never been able to be in allegiance with what most people complain about. Meanwhile, the stuff that I do complain about are things people either don't care about or there's already a road map to improvement. Then again, I bought the PC version of the game knowing that it would provide a long-term better experience.

Honestly, I think if the development team had more time and more effective management, the plethora of shards wouldn't have needed to exist. A lot of that could have been in-game events.
With about 600+ shards, I doubt they could do it with "only" events :)
(and also lot of "archived discussion" are "past events", so impossible to made it happen when the player is here).

And a little detail, often enemies can have the same dialogue lines as on the shard (between them or with someone on phone). But it's possible to hear it only if you are close enough and don't start the fight (nor alert them). I suppose most of players never hear it, because they directly attack the guys^^
A good example is the shard in an assault in progress in Arroyo about Tucker Albach's car (related to a GIG for Padre). A militech guy is on phone with tucker and have almost the same discussion as the shard in the container :)
Archived Conversation: Nasim Perlman and Tucker Albach

Last edited:
With about 600+ shards, I doubt they could do it with "only" events :)
(and also lot of "archived discussion" are "past events", so impossible to made it happen when the player is here).
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you didn't notice how many missions, gigs, side quests, random in-game events that are already there. Some of them are adjacent to places with dead bodies with shards LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! For instance, the one in the northside where the Scavs pull up on the tiger claws and have a shoot-out, but then you walk around the corner and there's a dead body with a shard on it. How that guy died could have been an event just like that with the inter-gang shoot-out. Not to mention that you walk around the corner from there and there are more Scavs around another dead body. All three situations aren't even a block away from each other. I'm very certain that they could have. Time permitted. LOL!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you didn't notice how many missions, gigs, side quests, random in-game events that are already there. Some of them are adjacent to places with dead bodies with shards LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! For instance, the one in the northside where the Scavs pull up on the tiger claws and have a shoot-out, but then you walk around the corner and there's a dead body with a shard on it. How that guy died could have been an event just like that with the inter-gang shoot-out. Not to mention that you walk around the corner from there and there are more Scavs around another dead body. All three situations aren't even a block away from each other. I'm very certain that they could have. Time permitted. LOL!
I edited my post with a "detail".
And also, currently, the size of Cyberpunk script only in Japanese, so the same for each langague ;)

I edited my post with a "detail".
And also, currently, the size of Cyberpunk script only in Japanese, so the same for each langague ;)
Noted. C'est vrai! Also, consider that sometimes conflicts trigger before you have enough time to eavesdrop on the whole conversation.

I was talking about the main map too. You can change the options as to what's shown on the map by category, like shops. As i said earlier, there's the N.C.P.D. database Vic links us to, as well as remote access to the net at anytime it seems, it's perfectly reasonable for V to have picked on on various incidents though their implants. Be thankful this isn't Shadowrun where you'd need a datajack, a cyberdeck (physical, not the implants like V has), a place to jack in, and a bunch of attack and defense programs to get anywhere near the net without having your brain fried.

I understand, and I think it's a major cop out, why would V even be interested in NCPD stuff to begin with? They show no interest in it, not through dialogue nor lore, it just pops up out of nowhere ''Vic: Oh by the way V, your new optics show random NCPD tasks now, have fun.'' is pretty much how it went down.

Makes no sense and I wish it was more involved, wish I had to do more as a player than just exist and have this stuff always present at all times waiting for me to just stumble my way into it.

Some of the side quests have timers attached to them, these things should have it too, makes no sense to have these thugs just standing around or endlessly fighting the NCPD or other thugs until V decides to intervene (could be hours, could be days, could be months... it's just not a good design).

These things should have a start point and an end point regardless of V's involvement, heck even without having a random trigger and have everything scripted there could be a second approach with having V stumbling onto the aftermath and have a different quest pop up. Like the whole Jotaro thing, you can find shards describing the events involving Jotaro and the Mox but in some play throughs the guy is already dead but these things still happen in exactly the same fashion regardless if the guy is alive or dead, again there should be some triggers that make these things more involved with each other.

Vic added the N.C.P.D. thing so it would give V as much information on people he scans as possible. I'm done wasting my breath. I try to give reasonable explanations, and all i get back is "cop out". Make a game yourself if you're such an expert.

I understand, and I think it's a major cop out, why would V even be interested in NCPD stuff to begin with? They show no interest in it, not through dialogue nor lore, it just pops up out of nowhere ''Vic: Oh by the way V, your new optics show random NCPD tasks now, have fun.'' is pretty much how it went down.

Makes no sense and I wish it was more involved, wish I had to do more as a player than just exist and have this stuff always present at all times waiting for me to just stumble my way into it.
Good Point! "Calling all NCPD Subcons" - NCPD Dispatch
It doesn't make sense with the database given by Viktor alone. Also, the fact that you can cancel Police chases by killing an NCPD mission or alert. The fact that they pay V for completing those missions. Like I said. It was never emphasized or indicated that V is actually a police agent. *Sleeping Dogs* - hint hint LOL!

Vic added the N.C.P.D. thing so it would give V as much information on people he scans as possible. I'm done wasting my breath. I try to give reasonable explanations, and all i get back is "cop out". Make a game yourself if you're such an expert.
It's quite apparent that neither of you have played Sleeping Dogs. You'd be surprised how similar the games are if you did. Also, what @exxxed wants in the game is actually in that one LMFAO!

Last edited:

Some of the side quests have timers attached to them, these things should have it too, makes no sense to have these thugs just standing around or endlessly fighting the NCPD or other thugs until V decides to intervene (could be hours, could be days, could be months... it's just not a good design).

These things should have a start point and an end point regardless of V's involvement, heck even without having a random trigger and have everything scripted there could be a second approach with having V stumbling onto the aftermath and have a different quest pop up. Like the whole Jotaro thing, you can find shards describing the events involving Jotaro and the Mox but in some play throughs the guy is already dead but these things still happen in exactly the same fashion regardless if the guy is alive or dead, again there should be some triggers that make these things more involved with each other.
I'm totally for these kind of "limited" in time quest/events (or trigger by something else, or even removed by something else) :)
But I can see two "issues" :(
  • All these NCPD Scanner Hustles/GIGs are related to the "achievments" (But it could be easy to simply remove these achievements...)
  • I read recently on this forum : I'm unable to complete "I'll Fly Away" quest, it's a bug! But in reality, it's simply that you have to do it in a short period of time (too soon, it don't appear, too late and the quest disappear...)
If I remember, all the NCPD events appear before the first visit to Viktor. They are on the map since the beginning (so not related to Viktor) :)
The Kiroshi optics and Viktor's NCPD backdoor only display weakness and "criminal records" of enemies on the scanner, that's all.

Last edited:
Money, there's nothing more to it. NCPD uses mercenaries as contractors as they are underfunded and outgunned, V is a mercenary. Few scenarios show this in game by environmental story telling and there are couple of playable scenarios as well IIRC. Anyway, they can really hold the City center and parts of Watson but that's about it.

No idea what rattled you out of what I said but you do you choom, from my point of view it was a friendly debate.

If I remember, all the NCPD events appear before the first visit to Viktor. They are on the map since the beginning (so not related to Viktor) :)
The Kiroshi optics and Viktor's NCPD backdoor only display weakness and "criminal records" of enemies on the scanner, that's all.

Makes sense, I remember that as well.

Either way my approach was not just tied to the NCPD hustles but all the gigs as well. Should have been more involved, the regent of each district should be the ones relaying the missions to V (like it is in the game and not have the quest marks always be present, my point of view, make it less gamey) - heck, could have a stat that represents V's affiliation with each district that by increasing said stat would open up more gigs (actual street cred).

Another thing that could make the NCPD stuff more interesting is a good/bad rep tied to side quests or gigs (lethal vs non lethal for example or stealth vs guns blazing or even something like being a professional and following the instructions to the letter) that gradually opens up your NCPD affiliation as a merc and you get contracted more to help out with the hustles.

Surely there are better ways that just dumping a million icons on the main map and call it a day.

Money, there's nothing more to it. NCPD uses mercenaries as contractors as they are underfunded and outgunned, V is a mercenary. Few scenarios show this in game by environmental story telling and there are couple of playable scenarios as well IIRC. Anyway, they can really hold the City center and parts of Watson but that's about it.
I agree, but it's out of the blue, and seemingly V is the only merc doing anything like this, it's gamey, amateurish in design and silly considering how serious the game takes itself and the hard work that went into some of these things and the stories behind some of them.

It's quite apparent that neither of you have played Sleeping Dogs. You'd be surprised how similar the games are if you did. Also, what @exxxed wants in the game is actually in that one LMFAO!

I played it for a while and I remember the mechanic as well, but again you're an undercover agent there (would be a nice side quest for V to be an undercover NCPD or Max Tac affiliate).

Last edited:
Makes sense, I remember that as well.

Either way my approach was not just tied to the NCPD hustles but all the gigs as well. Should have been more involved, the regent of each district should be the ones relaying the missions to V (like it is in the game and not have the quest marks always be present, my point of view, make it less gamey) - heck, could have a stat that represents V's affiliation with each district that by increasing said stat would open up more gigs (actual street cred).

Another thing that could make the NCPD stuff more interesting is a good/bad rep tied to side quests or gigs (lethal vs non lethal for example or stealth vs guns blazing or even something like being a professional and following the instructions to the letter) that gradually opens up your NCPD affiliation as a merc and you get contracted more to help out with the hustles.

Surely there are better ways that just dumping a million icons on the main map and call it a day.
For sure it could be improve ;)
In my opinion, maybe due to the lack of time (or simply the succes of TW3), CDPR simply reused the same system as in TW3.
NCPD Scanner Hustles are the same as the white icons on TW3 maps (bandit camp, treasures,...). For contracts, in TW3, I cant' see people call Geralt (Xenovox are very rare^^)

I agree, but it's out of the blue, and seemingly V is the only merc doing anything like this, it's gamey, amateurish in design and silly considering how serious the game takes itself and the hard work that went into some of these things and the stories behind some of them.
LMAOOOOOO! So true! I thought about that too!!! Like, "The dispatcher has called all the NCPD subcons, but V is the only one that shows up! WTH?!"

heck, could have a stat that represents V's affiliation with each district that by increasing said stat would open up more gigs (actual street cred).

Genius! The Street Cred thing is definitely confusing as a story element more than just a way to hinder usage or accumulation of items in the game. The question being, "street credit according to who?" The NCPD? The Fixers? The Gangoons? V? I've always thought it was funny that I can do a non-lethal takedown then increase my street cred and/or experience points by executing maimed combatants. As a message to the player, it's like saying, "Yeah, hurting the enemy is good, but hurting them 'then killing them' is the better experience". I try to analyze the philosophy of the developers as it relates to the game's world. I only come up with, "Yup, V isn't supposed to survive based on the morality of the world".

Last edited:
I think there's at least one in City Center where target is from After Life mercs and other where we find mercenary bodies. There's at least one at Pacifica where criminals in question are After Life mercs and at the same time they are providing security in Pacifica, you can see them close to almost any business there.

Mercenaries, dogs of war. For me the general ideas is that NCDP has a lot of reason not to care who they are, where they come from and what's their reputation.

Seeing other mercs doing same stuff. What would player most likely do? I think they would get involved and then it would come down to V and other merc fighting about bounty and then people would be writing here and complaining about that.

I really appreciate how well they are interconnected to story and build world. For me, I don't feel there's any need to be more about in them and according to achievement stats, they are content for those who are really into game. Also convenient when leveling up Blades for Body character to get Perk points to swap for Athletics perks, as Athletics leveling is still bugged.

Yeah! Athletics is still extremely difficult to max out. I've watched a bunch of videos about peoples' different strategies and exploits to max it out. I don't have the patience or the interest to do a bunch of exploits, use mods and a bunch of arbitrary shit that makes the game feel more like a job than my place to fuck off between work. Truth be told, the game supports a bunch of different play styles. I've yet to find a reason to max out Body perks beyond just doing it to say that I did it. Still sleuthing the dev path and philosophy of the developers. I'm hopeful for surprises in v1.5 but I'm definitely concerned about whether they're going to filter all the fun out of the game to satisfy the louder complaints. Some of the glitchy and buggy stuff is what's made the game more of a fun mystery to figure out (and/or philosophize about). They've had to backtrack on patches before. hopefully by the next patch, they have a better gauge on what should be "fixed" and what should remain characteristic of the game.

Personally I do think TW3 did a better job of keeping contracts in a place where the player knew and understood and helped reduce map clutter.

There's so many idea's floating around for how they could have done the gigs and hustles, even if it was just V using her/his computer in thier apartment which would then populate more locations to visit.

I think even just removing the markers on the map would help a lot. So when a player got near them, perhaps within a block, then the markers show up, so the player then heads towards them, thus more exploring.

I think the Street Cred system could have even been tied into it more so, ie, if you annoy one group then less gigs/hustles are available to do for that specific group. Or if your Cred is so high, you get more contracts, bounties ect since people know you and want you.

But your right, a missed opportunity.

One thing a lot of people seem to not understand is that, despite the advancements, technology still has limitations, and that's pretty much what it boils down to. There's only so much that can be added without having to take away from other things. Even in the advanced futures of Cyberpunk and Shadowrun, the hardware can only do so much.

Other games on the same hardware have done it better.

Look at RDR2 for example. Sure markers are on the map, but its not every single marker, every single random encounter since they would no longer be random then. RDR2 has NPC's call out to the player, or there are interesting things happening that invites the player to come over and look.

Yes the hardware was an issue, but other older games have managed, so I do not think the hardware was the key issue, more like running out of development time. And that can only be due to the management.

Top Bottom