Lets just be realistic... and look to the sequel.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 3847602

The switch to a FPP game was not done because of an artistic vision. It was simply to reduce development time and costs so they could get the game out the door faster.
Highly doubt it considering that FPP was among the game's first confirmed features. If you believe Jason Schreier, this decision was made in 2016, the same year development truly began.

I think the patches are slow because fixing this game is like playing jenga, making a fix is like removing a piece and trying to no crumble the whole game

You are talking about the aesthetics and the beauty of movement. I am talking about various simulated systems.

CP2077 is partially an (open-world) immersive sim. If you deprive it of FPP, it will be a completely different game. Can you imagine Deus Ex or Dishonored in TPP? Can you imagine that kind of exploration and problem-solving possibilities in TPP?
Literally none of the systems in this game would change by being TPP though, like I can't think of anything that would be different, the game is a bog standard action shooter there is nothing crazy going on here that can only work in first-person if anything the game would only become improved by going third-person because you could appreciate the cosmetics and have better melee combat.
I am not looking for another Witcher in a cyberpunk world. CDPR presented us with some really innovative and fresh formula. Let them develop it even more. Let Witcher be Witcher (RPG in TPP). And let CP2077 be CP2077 (complex mixture of an open-world shooter, immersive sim and stealth game in FPP).
There is nothing innovative or fresh about this game, it hasn't done anything we haven't seen before you may as well praise every new Ubisoft game that comes out as well because they all a combine mix of open-world shooter, "immersive sim" (a particularly useless term) and stealth too.

Last edited:
There is nothing innovative or fresh about this game, it hasn't done anything we haven't seen before
I really have to respond to this, because that is just not true in this absoluteness. Especially if you talk about "seen".

Things in cp2077 that no other game ever before did:
- Absolute insane amounts of volumetric lighting/fog
- All surfaces that should reflect do reflect, including weapons, cars, wet/damp surfaces and even small details on npcs like metallic buttons or even their eyeballs! And reflectance changes depending on your view angle.
- The most realistic neon-light rendering in realtime (monochromatic light turns a lot of surfaces into mirrors)
- All the above with support for hardware raytracing. Not the first to do it ever, but the first to do it at this scale.

Also, next-gen features like that were only ever deployed in shooters, usually with a fairly linear or barren outdoor level design, to have better control over the amount of assets on screen and in memory.

With cyberpunk 2077 we got a (light) rpg in an open world urban setting with next-gen tech. In my book that counts as innovation...

Literally none of the systems in this game would change by being TPP though

You've just made Miles Tost really sad... ;)

cyber_1st_person1.jpg

you may as well praise every new Ubisoft game that comes out as well because they all a combine mix of open-world shooter, "immersive sim" (a particularly useless term) and stealth too.

Interesting. Which Ubisoft game combines all of these genres (open-world shooter, immersive sim and stealth game) with the level of complexity and emergent gameplay that CP2077 might offer (depending on your build and playstyle)?

Last edited:

Can someone who is not overly angry with CDPR (or if you are very angry but can still be fair) explain that statement? What was he trying to say? I do not get what is trying to be communicated by "entirely new gameplay-driven dialogue system that works entirely BECASUE we're in first person."

Two parts:

A: "entirely new gameplay-driven dialogue system"
How is this new? Seems to me to be similar to Oblivion or maybe closer to Fallout Vegas. Edit: maybe I am wrong, could be you were forced into 1st person during all dialogue in Fallout Vegas, maybe I am thinking of Skyrim.

B: " works entirely BECASUE we're in first person."
Why would it not work in third person?
Edit: could it be because of the camera work? they force you to look in particular directions during the dialogue sometimes, maybe that is the reason? Same way the Doom buggies in the Haunted mansion directs your attention is Sync with the announcers monologue.

Do not get me wrong, I would have liked Cyberpunk 2077 much less if it were all in 3rd person. But I am just trying to understand that statement.

Last edited:
Can someone who is not overly angry with CDPR (or if you are very angry but can still be fair) explain that statement? What was he trying to say? I do not get what is trying to be communicated by "entirely new gameplay-driven dialogue system that works entirely BECASUE we're in first person."

Two parts:

How is this new? Seems to me to be similar to Oblivion or maybe closer to Fallout Vegas.

Why would it not work in third person? again most of Bethesda's games have almost same dialogue system working in both 1st and 3rd.

Do not get me wrong, I would have liked Cyberpunk 2077 much less if it were all in 3rd person. But I am just trying to understand that statement.

Two parts:

How is this new? Seems to me to be similar to Oblivion or maybe closer to Fallout Vegas.

Why would it not work in third person? again most of Bethesda's games have almost same dialogue system working in both 1st and 3rd.

Seems like he's just trying to justify why they went FPP. To me the FPP cutscenes are immersive breaking and boring, but I think the former has to with the game design. Almost every FPP Cutscene the person you are talking to always has a marker or 2 in their face or body, 25m to that shop 100m to this shop Its really annoying, like really really annoying, like so annoying that i never play with subtitles on with other games but I do for this game just so I don't have to watch the cutscenes. They def needed at least TPP cutscenes. My wife who is not a gamer but likes to watch me play games, finds this game boring to watch due to the FPP cutscenes and the general overall FPP, she doesn't understand why I let her create a character that she never gets to see lol.

I agree partially with this thread, maybe not entirely with the tone of it. But yes, I hope the cyberpunk IP survives into a sequel in the future, and having the whole/most city designed, a basis for character models, the moving lips technology just needing fixing, the gameplay features they have until now... a sequel would be the oportunity to implement the open-world interactivity missing features and a new story to design a choices matter in multiple ways.
It's natural for the titles on a franchise to increase in complexity while the features on the first titles get cleaner.
With this being said I do hope they can implement some features on this title down the line but how I can truly imagine the promised game would be in a sequel.

We can only speculate what Miles Tost meant, but... I do not think that some dialogues or scenes with dialogues (e.g. the first meeting with Meredith when V was hacked, watching the stars with Panam, the whole hospital sequence with Rubik's Cube, the death of Jackie in the cab, some conversations with Johnny, Relic malfunctions, reviving Sandra Dorsett in the bathroom, the Flathead deal with the gun at V's head, the conversation with Rogue in the cinema, the meeting with the doll at Clouds) would work as well (in terms of evoking emotions and creating immersion) in TPP.

Last edited:
We can only speculate what Miles Tost meant, but... I do not think that some dialogues or scenes with dialogues (e.g. the first meeting with Meredith when V was hacked, watching the stars with Panam, the whole hospital sequence with Rubik's Cube, the death of Jackie, some conversations with Johnny, Relic malfunctions) would work as well (in terms of evoking emotions and creating immersion) in TPP.
none of those were even emotional imo. CDPR completely ruined Jackies death. Watching the stars with panam is literally 2 secs unless you don't press the next dialogue option. the rest could've been done through a forced FPP sequences. The quests with more emotions imo. like Sinnerman or Rivers nephew could've been done in TPP and still feel the same emotion.

Two parts:

How is this new? Seems to me to be similar to Oblivion or maybe closer to Fallout Vegas. Edit: maybe I am wrong, could be you were forced into 1st person during all dialogue in Fallout Vegas, maybe I am thinking of Skyrim.

Why would it not work in third person?
Edit: could it be because of the camera work? they force you to look in particular directions during the dialogue sometimes, maybe that is the reason? Same way the Doom buggies in the Haunted mansion directs your attention is Sync with the announcers monologue.

I think they mean the character animations as the dialogue happens, how they move through the space, the details in their posture or look, the glitches and coughing of blood,...

I think It's this follow a character from one place to another or in general experiencing everything from the first person. Not it wasn't done before but not on this scale. CP's dialogue system is a mixture of mostly old tricks - quick time events, different dialogue options depending on your skill/ability. Maybe because V can eat or drink between choices? Or the sex scenes from the first person? Perhaps the camera that you are never really fully locked but you can move it a bit? All of it was done before though.

It does, otherwise, the player wouldn't have the limited camera control and was forced to see everything from an already established perspective.

Frankly, I was positively surprised the first 3-4 hours I played. It gave you this feel that you are in the movie... At least for a moment or two. Some scenes and dialogues really work very well and it feels a little bit new. A few scenes felt more dynamic... But it gets old pretty quickly though and makes the dialogues way less engaging. Watching Takemura with a cat for good 5 minutes (if not longer) wasn't my favorite thing in the world, to put it mildly. However, I can understand why the devs got charmed by this approach. It just doesn't work for me long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom