Lets talk about CDProjekt Red

+
Michal said:
Regarding money/budget stuff. Game so far cost us 8+ mln usd. And it wasn't a bank loan or whatever. Just money we earn on games distribution (we are not so small company: offices in 3 countries, 200+ people, 40+ mln usd yearly turnover). Actually, this was risky, but also good and very independent way:) Our money, our vision, our game:)
How many units do you have to sell to 'break even'? And how many units did you expect would be sold - as in has it met/exceeded your expectations?
The most important for us is that we've learnt how to make games, good games:) And now we have short but good track of records. That gives us very very good position for future (for example for negotiations with publishers).
This is pretty much the big one I guess. Before Witcher I suspect there were a lot of 'internationals' who had never heard of CDProjekt (I'm one of them ;) ) who will now be paying attention to what you can do in the future - despite the publisher Atari doing things on the cheap.

They want to sell 1 mln world wide.. ::)Michal also said that in January they will give all figures but as for russia and poland it went extremely well

Some people were asking were did I see adverstiments, well more in the stores then anywhere, but here is one I ran by today at yahoo. Rated #5 under pc buying for christmas :)http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/holiday-gift-guide-2007/the-witcher/1172112/category/PC/

Believe it or not but I got a copy in the Philippines just a few weeks when it was released in the US and Europe. I had to reserve my copy since there is a hefty waiting list for this title and up to now my friend is still waiting for his copy. I really love this game and didn't stop playing until the end, it took me two weeks to finish it. Now my copy is resting in my Cabinet of Fame.Kudos to CD Projekt RED for making this game!

thelostdunmer said:
Believe it or not but I got a copy in the Philippines just a few weeks when it was released in the US and Europe. I had to reserve my copy since there is a hefty waiting list for this title and up to now my friend is still waiting for his copy. I really love this game and didn't stop playing until the end, it took me two weeks to finish it. Now my copy is resting in my Cabinet of Fame.Kudos to CD Projekt RED for making this game!
You didn't stop playing until the end? Ouch!That I call dedicated. No shower, no potty break? No food? two weeks nonstop playing ??? :eek:Kudos! ;D

Rhian said:
Rhian said:
You didn't stop playing until the end? Ouch!That I call dedicated. No shower, no potty break? No food? two weeks nonstop playing ??? :eek:Kudos! ;D
Hehehe, sorry I forgot to mention toilet breaks and going to work.Anyway CD Projekt RED should do a follow up and capitalize on the success of The Witcher.

Hmm, is it too much if I say, that CDP is one of the last GameStudios, where you can truly say "Gamers making Games for Gamers"? If you look upon the Market, there are much Games... but the real Games as we knew them from the past, are vanishing. As Example, C&C3 hasn't the feeling of a Westwood-Game anymore for me. It's just one of the typical EA-Products. Fast done, thin Story.The same happened to The Elder Scrolls. I loved this Series, Morrowind was truly the part where it became very popular. But in Oblivion,the Game wasn't anymore Elder Scrolls for me. Bad Localiztation, poor Quests. Hell, what have I liked to build myself a house in TES3 asI did advance in the Guild. I really missed that in Oblivion. Or the possibility to send out my own Hero in the Mage-Guild, after I've become a Speaker. All that is nomore in the last Title of this Series. I hope you guys will stick to your visions and keep making games like The Witcher, but with less Bugs next Time :p ;) :)Just my 2 Cents.rya.

Bethesda is going wrong direction and with no respect for rpg gamers, are working on getting bigger attention and sell more its products, its good if that does not harm game.. fallout, oblivion.. startrek (?)

This is the first time I ever heard of the company.First game I ever played from them to, and its greattt game.Any other games I should play by these guys? :p

Scorcher24 said:
I hope you guys will stick to your visions and keep making games like The Witcher, but with less Bugs next Time :p ;) :)Just my 2 Cents.rya.
Well, bugs are our main concern right now. We're aware of the fact, that The Wicther is not perfect and we try to fix as many bugs as possible in the patches. This is our first game and I hope that in the future we'll be able to release more perfect productions :) But it's realy nice to hear that you guys had fun playing The Witcher, thanks for your supprt :)

KatarzynaKuczyska said:
KatarzynaKuczyska said:
I hope you guys will stick to your visions and keep making games like The Witcher, but with less Bugs next Time :p ;) :)Just my 2 Cents.rya.
Well, bugs are our main concern right now. We're aware of the fact, that The Wicther is not perfect and we try to fix as many bugs as possible in the patches. This is our first game and I hope that in the future we'll be able to release more perfect productions :) But it's realy nice to hear that you guys had fun playing The Witcher, thanks for your supprt :)
Well, the demo seems pretty polished, goind to retail game the load times are bit of a drag but more experienced studios are producing more bugged games so do not worry -you really did fine. And as for the pathces - keep them coming, it is great to see this kind of dedication on developers side. An advantage of "selfpublishing" i would say.

Never heard of them till they released The Witcher. Great game, could be a soon to be great game company we will see in the future.

I don't know about most of you but I for one don't see many Dev coming into forum on most game sites. Giving thanks and even helping player out and listing to plays about a game.And do there best to improve the game. In spit of the bug in the game which I know there trying there best to fix I'm enjoying every mint of this game and I'm going to be very sad when I reach the ending LOL.LOL My wife even DL the Demo to see why I'm so into this game LOL For me this sorry line is grate I'm enjoying all the ruing around and not just being fix on the main quest I'm enjoying do as much I as I can with the side quest as well but even the side quest I find they have some thing to do with the main quest.

Okay, let me give you a heads-up in Greece. First of all, Greece is generally plagued by the problems that other countries, including Russia, have: Pirated products. However, what has happened with The Witcher should be quite good for CDPR, or I suppose it should.The game has had limited advertising here, mostly online in some websites, and in Atari's Greek page as well - but word of mouth should have helped it become infamous. I personally found out about the game from a friend, before Atari of America started to advertise it online in IGN / Gamespy / Gamespot, etc.I was stunned. I admit that initially, since you had no demo of the game available and I wanted to make sure it was a good game, I played a pirated copy. I was able to tell the game ROCKED from the very Prologue. I even upgraded my computer's power supply to run it, since my videocard could run most games OK, but in Witcher it needed more power than I could give it! - Beauty needs power...Anyway, to make the long story short, I not only liked the game, but decided to support CDPR by the best way I could see: I bought The Witcher: Limited Edition - although I wanted Collector's Edition with The Witcher medallion, but never found it anywhere in the world in English.What's more, it turns out I bought the last copy of The Witcher: Limited Edition from a large PC software chain - and I don't think they only imported 1 piece nationwide...I suspect that The Witcher has done much better than other games in Greece in terms of sales - all RPG lovers buy it without a second thought, and now that a demo is available, it will be even easier to show the game to friends, etc.Keep up the good work!

I absolutely freaking love this game, and have nothing but great things to say about it. I was waiting for Crysis to come out and was looking for something new to try, and am SO Glad that I read the review in PC Gamer about how interesting and unique your game was. I got Crysis, but still haven't loaded as I am on my fourth replay of the Witcher.A question I had was, I am going ot buy a copy from my wife. I bought mine online, does CDPR make more on a DVD purchase or with an online transaction? I would be happy to buy it online again, and was quite pleased at being able to play it within an hour of buying it (beats have to drive to the store, imo). But would also be interested in purchasing a version through retail or thorugh AMazon if the comps for CDPR are bettter. It would stand to reason that you would get a better profit from online distro, but just wondering. Thanks again for a great game!!!

Braag

Forum veteran
I bought the game at december after seeing some clips and a review. Before that I had never even heard of "The Witcher". 2 weeks later two of my friends bought it too after trying it out at my place. It's awesome game and I hope CD Projekt Red developes more games maybe even continue with the Witcher world :)

Top Bottom