Let's talk about Fallout 2 - the best cRPG I've ever played

+
Shadowrun returns was amusing, but yeah, I was looking for quest variance. Although for a modern successor to Black Isle's games, try Age of Decadence by Iron Tower (they also have an upcoming sci-fi one). The things lives, eats, breathes, dies, and resurrects on choices, consequences, and branching interactions. That was the title I actually had in mind when thinking about a 2D Cyberpunk '77.

Take an example early mid-game quest, go to the Mine guarded by Other Faction to get the MacGuffin. You can (provided you have the skills and build)...

1. Imitate an academic, made easier by possibly interrogating the real academic who was supposed to go there and acquiring the appropriate accoutrement.
2. Actually be an academic who can talk with confidence about MacGuffins, ending up with you working for someone else and completely re-routing the plot.
3. Sneak in and steal it.
4. Arrange for poison to be delivered in the guard's supplies by persuading/initmidating/bribing the teamsters. Acquire the poison by buying local rat poison, convincing an apothecary to sell you the good stuff, or make your own at various levels of efficavy based on your skills...which directly translates to the garrison being sick and an easier fight, vomiting horribly and a much easier fight, or mostly dead.
5. Talk to the guard captain, then stab him in the throat while chatting to kick off the fight.
6. Go hire a bunch of bandits you need to deal with on another issue to come and take the mine for you, solving both of your problems in one swoop.
7. Represent a local noble and inform the mine guards that yes, they would probably kill you in a fight, but that would give said noble the pre-text to come here with a small army, kill them all, and take it anyhow.
8. Actually just storm the damn place as a one man army (Hard. Very Hard.)

You can't build that sort of functionality into big 3D open worlds, not at a reasonable price point. But bloody hell would it make for great cyberpunkery.

Wow! Now we are taking. Haven't heard about this game. After I finish F2 (Sierra Army Depot atm) I will definitely play it. Sounds impressive.

I love both Fallouts but it is the first one that is the best RPG game (CRPG if you want) to me.
I like the story and design more, plusit was the new thing—F2 felt likemore of the same... which was good, but somehow puts 1st on top in my eyes.

Anyway, I wish to see those things you mentioned in games. The system is quite decent (we even tried play it as P'n'P back in the day) and even though I hate the combat at first, after whileI learn to like it. Definetly more than in many modern game.
I only wish companions were smarter in fights—nothing helps more than getting critical burst from Ians MG.
But the different dialogue options for different stats, different problem solutions, ability to play evil (which I never did though)... etc. makes it soo good.
Also the mention of other places after ending... made me replay the whole game to help some places that ended bad.

Oh, the graphics are dated, and the combat is deliberately hard and potentially fatal, and it works completely on moving hubs to hubs. There are a lot of modern niceties missing...

But hot damn can it tell a story, with lot's of choices in between. Lots of stories actually. it's not a game you play just once. Because you are always viewing the story from a different perspective based on who you ally with, what paths you take, and so forth. Dramatically different perspectives at some points, with gated content based on alliances and builds and choices. The game won't hold your hand with "Do X OR Y in THIS DILLEMMA", but you might just find that if you think you could go back and betray your current employer...you often can.

And oh the endings. So many. So many that you didn't even think were possible.

Nice thing with the endings was that you kind of shape them during your whole playthrough and what I dislike a bit in CP is that you pretty much do all the jobs, go to point of no return and then have couple branches with different endings. Its very simplified system comparing to Fallout and I always prefered the one which prefers actions and consecuences during long period of time.

Nice thing with the endings was that you kind of shape them during your whole playthrough and what I dislike a bit in CP is that you pretty much do all the jobs, go to point of no return and then have couple branches with different endings. Its very simplified system comparing to Fallout and I always prefered the one which prefers actions and consecuences during long period of time.
It was done that way in Witcher 3 so they went backward in CP 2077

The best thing about FO2 is, that it doesn't railroad you into anything.

You can go through the game without doing a single quest and literally kill every NPC in the world and still finish the game.

Oh god, how did I miss this thread?

FO2 is amongst my top 5 games. They just don't make RPGs like those anymore. I do miss the days where RPGs were all about substance. I mean, let's be honest, even by 98's standards FO2 wasn't a looker but it was just damn good. Yes, as you said @ash23neuro, going through the game as a brutish simpleton is a necessity. At least once. Another favorite of mine, VtMB did the same thing with Malkavians/low humanity characters and it was glorious.

They just don't make 'em like they used to.

I prefer baldurs gate 2, but fallout 2 was a very good game too.

To this day Irenicus remains one of the best villains ever.

That face though
Jon_Irenicus_NJON_Portrait_BG2.png

I prefer baldurs gate 2, but fallout 2 was a very good game too.

BG2 was way too easy to break. You could get Celestial fury and Dak'kons + Robe of Vecna super early for a Kensai Mage and just faceroll everything.

Even Inquisitor with Red Dragon Scale and Carsomyr, which you could also get pretty early if you knew how to deal with the dragon, made you completely unstoppable.

Last edited:
Oh god, how did I miss this thread?

FO2 is amongst my top 5 games. They just don't make RPGs like those anymore.
I wonder if that is true. Imo torment: tides of numenera comes close. I don't know if it is as good, but still. Then there was Tyranny - a truly unique game, where you can actually be evil and not just some stupid...sorry chaotic evil like in most games. Then there are pillars of eternity 1&2...RPG's that follow such types of games are not dead.
Not to say that games such as bloodlines/cyberpunk that try something new, are bad....

That said I....generallly like to reply fallout 2, but it also is not my favorite game. I like companions (that have a lot to say example: Dragon age) and fallout 2 (or 1 as far as I remember) don't have much:)

Haha that comment made me think of Ultima... Was it 5-6 something. with bags inside bags and every companions inventory too manage like that. yea fun times looking for a quest required ring in that mess. :D :D
I absolutely loved that inventory system!

Then, about 15 years later, I played U7 again using Exult. And I discovered something:

I used to absolutely love that inventory system!

Top Bottom