Let's talk about Fixers

+
I know that this is a small issue comparing to all the problems the game is struggling with but we need to talk about Fixers.
First, the fixers call me out of nowhere while I'm stepping in into a new location (and that makes the first drive through the whole map a very unpleasant experience). They introduce themselves and specifically say "if you are looking for a job in XYZ region, call me" But it's never the case! I will never need to call them ever since they will be calling me! All the time really. Why do we even have the fixers icon on the map? Why is it needed? We already have like 500 of them (including cars to buy!!!). If I need to visit a fixer (like Regina or Dakota) since it's sometimes important for a side quest those fixer icons change into a quiet icon regardless.
Why does this game tell me that I have to CALL them to get something extra if calling them doesn't actually do anything?
Also, when I was questioning Fingers asking him "Who is your fixer" I was under the impression that you can have... one at the time? Otherwise, V asked the same question would answer ALL OF THEM. Don't get me wrong, maybe it's good for the whole open-world thing and the free roam, but as a tool to build the world and characters? Not so much.
That's a complaint. And here's a wish:
I would love all the fixers to be introduced just like Dex. A special meeting of sorts that actually gives you a sense of who this fixer is. I would love the small gigs to have consequences. If I don't follow instructions, it should have consequences - either for me and the gigs available or the fixers themselves.
PS: Please shut them up or give me an option to do so. Please. I can't stand those calls all the time. I literally had to turn off the sound while playing so annoyed at those calls. I even put my own phone on silent.

I know that this is a small issue comparing to all the problems the game is struggling with but we need to talk about Fixers.
First, the fixers call me out of nowhere while I'm stepping in into a new location (and that makes the first drive through the whole map a very unpleasant experience). They introduce themselves and specifically say "if you are looking for a job in XYZ region, call me" But it's never the case! I will never need to call them ever since they will be calling me! All the time really. Why do we even have the fixers icon on the map? Why is it needed? We already have like 500 of them (including cars to buy!!!). If I need to visit a fixer (like Regina or Dakota) since it's sometimes important for a side quest those fixer icons change into a quiet icon regardless.
Why does this game tell me that I have to CALL them to get something extra if calling them doesn't actually do anything?
Also, when I was questioning Fingers asking him "Who is your fixer" I was under the impression that you can have... one at the time? Otherwise, V asked the same question would answer ALL OF THEM. Don't get me wrong, maybe it's good for the whole open-world thing and the free roam, but as a tool to build the world and characters? Not so much.
That's a complaint. And here's a wish:
I would love all the fixers to be introduced just like Dex. A special meeting of sorts that actually gives you a sense of who this fixer is. I would love the small gigs to have consequences. If I don't follow instructions, it should have consequences - either for me and the gigs available or the fixers themselves.
PS: Please shut them up or give me an option to do so. Please. I can't stand those calls all the time. I literally had to turn off the sound while playing so annoyed at those calls. I even put my own phone on silent.
I played GTA IV not too long ago, and I wish the fixers in CP2077 worked in a similar way. You move to a new area, or meet someone new, and the quest-giver phones/texts you once to arrange a meeting, and then if you want to get involved you go and meet them. So much simpler.

They make me appreciate that Preston Garvey didn't have a phone.

Preston is still more annoying though.
I’m now imagining some kind of nightmare scenario where Delemain’s quests become radiant and repeatable, and you’re endlessly spammed with “Hey V, another one of my cars needs your help. I’ve marked its location on your map” no matter where you are.

Thank you OP. You made me laugh. Don't worry, there are not many fixers and after a while the SMS and calls stop. Just do the "Delamain" quests in priority, a tip!

Otherwise, you're right: "Call me to get a job". They are the ones who harass us. I did the fixers contracts and events before make the secondary and main quests. Then some quests unlock but they don't bother you anymore. And then it's more consistent with the main story, it's like you did the 6 months with Jackie.

I'd like to add my stone to the building:

We learn in two quests that the average price of a car is 600 to 4000 €$. We'll have to allow ourselves to kill the fixers who try to rip us off with cars at €13000 minimum !

It is also necessary to see the salary: "You will make a good salary V, you will see!"
The fixer sends the money: "3 K to 4K €$". How much do they take? I want to be able to negotiate on the amount like with Dex. Knowing that the risk is not the same per contract. :p

The fixer sends the money: "3 K to 4K €$". How much do they take? I want to be able to negotiate on the amount like with Dex. Knowing that the risk is not the same per contract. :p

the only moment you can negotiate is the moment when you KNOW you won't get any money. Isn't it convenient?
Even Geralt could negotiate his salary! It often felt greedy since he was dealing with poor peasants most of the time, but in Cyberpunk, you can't even try to squeeze an extra buck from the wealthy fixers?

the only moment you can negotiate is the moment when you KNOW you won't get any money. Isn't it convenient?
Even Geralt could negotiate his salary! It often felt greedy since he was dealing with poor peasants most of the time, but in Cyberpunk, you can't even try to squeeze an extra buck from the wealthy fixers?
Because Geralt has unique talents, while V is just another mercenary among many.

I agree with you OP, fixers should have been implemented in a way that's more meaningful to game's story & progression system.
  • right now they are more like "let's give some more justification to all those quest icons we want to populate the map with" than actually meaningful characters of NC's underworld
  • there's no faction system, so you can basically work with all of them and against them(kind of) at the same time and it makes no difference(at least I haven't noticed any during my playthrough). Lack of faction system creates the same problem with gangs BTW.
  • I agree that meeting each fixer should involve an introductory quest, just like with Dex.
  • It should also be tied to street cred & progression system, not just simple territory. There should be different levels of fixers with different levels of jobs(risk - reward etc). This would also give street cred actual meaning, right now I find this stat pretty much useless
Those are my quick thoughts, it's actually one of the game features that I find really lacking and implemented poorly. I remember the first time NC opened up and I went for a bike ride to breathe it all in, just to be overwhelmed by those meaningless calls from some anyonymous people I never cared about. It really diminished their meaning in the game world and reduced it to noise and "gamey" way to justify the map being cluttered with icons.

there's no faction system, so you can basically work with all of them and against them(kind of) at the same time and it makes no difference(at least I haven't noticed any during my playthrough). Lack of faction system creates the same problem with gangs BTW.
For me that makes sense. Mercenary is just means to an end. Whatever beef anyone has with anyone, it's with whom ordered the job.

What I don't get. Why weren't all the gang leaders fixers? That would have made sense.
Post automatically merged:

For me that makes sense. Mercenary is just means to an end. Whatever beef anyone has with anyone, it's with whom ordered the job.
You really believe this world that kills like nothing. People have honor?

there's no faction system, so you can basically work with all of them and against them(kind of) at the same time and it makes no difference(at least I haven't noticed any during my playthrough). Lack of faction system creates the same problem with gangs BTW.
At this point, I'm not even asking for that. At the beginning perhaps the fixers would call you after certain missions/main quests but the game came out to be even more linear. Now we have a bigger problem with inconsistencies spread across the map and story. Before even touching voodoo boys I did the gig for Mr. Hands to get some van from the hands of Animals. Fun. And then V plays dumb and surprised "WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT THAT ANIMALS WERE IN PACIFICICA???" while talking to Placid.

I remember the first time NC opened up and I went for a bike ride to breathe it all in, just to be overwhelmed by those meaningless calls from some anyonymous people I never cared about.

Yep, same here. I just wanted to experience Night City. Instead, I experienced a spam calls convention.

Because Geralt has unique talents, while V is just another mercenary among many.
A magic skill to ask for 50 bucks more.
V manages just fine with Dex.

You really believe this world that kills like nothing. People have honor?
How this works in real life.

Journalists and photographers argue and even perhaps fight with some VIP security, all sort of things are said and done. In the end security is doing their job.

Same journalist and photographers are going to do another story in dangerous area. Their employer hires security for them to enable them to do that job. Security company, even people might be same who were working for VIP in earlier case.

In the world of Cyberpunk things are pretty extreme and there are many jobs we do that demonstrates exactly that there is no honor but in very few rare exceptions.
Post automatically merged:

Sure, but that could still mean some possible ramifications and follow up quests with choices.
What would probably work for me, to tie this to street credit, which is about how good V is being mercenary. Have people comment that perhaps.

What would probably work for me, to tie this to street credit, which is about how good V is being mercenary. Have people comment that perhaps.

Yes, this should be tied to SC or - as @CyberDiligence suggested - tied to certain quests/points in the story.

As of now I don't really feel like my V is really working his way up the ranks, it was more like I've finished the Dex story and boom all of a sudden I'm the man. It was too abrupt for me.

Yes, this should be tied to SC or - as @CyberDiligence suggested - tied to certain quests/points in the story.

Especially that it feels artificial just after V blew up the biggest gig in NIght City - The Heist and everybody knows about it due to extensive news coverage. She lost her whole crew - T-Bug, Jackie, even her fixer ended up dead. That's not somebody anybody would actually call... Especially if they didn't work with her before. The only person who kind of recognizes this fact is Rougie. But Rouge calls like the rest of them independently of the main quest. She's hesitant while we meet her at Afterlife but fine with V taking care of some specific gig in the city just after to even before.

As of now I don't really feel like my V is really working his way up the ranks, it was more like I've finished the Dex story and boom all of a sudden I'm the man. It was too abrupt for me.
Afterlife would be great to demonstrate that but I can see several problems as well.

1. How motivate V to visit the club outside of what is required?
2. How players would react to feedback from other mercs whom may comment V's performance in positive or negative way, as he is competition after all?
3. How to avoid situation where player immersion shatters as good performance should reflect to offers to join mercenary groups and participate heist or something? things that cannot work with V's situation but many players wouldn't care about that after all

Afterlife would be great to demonstrate that but I can see several problems as well.

Great points but the game would have to be severely redesigned to achieve that goal. I had little to no emotional connections with fixers. I didn't like them or dislike them. It was just "pure biz" and I thought that maybe, just maybe I would know them better and actually the jobs I do for them would make some impact on the world. Except for Wakako (kind of) - nothing really :(

Dakota being a nomad makes her best fixer in my book.
Padre is pretty cool. I think hes awesome. Then you have everyone's favorite cyber psycho lover regina.
Fingers dude sounds like a funny dude. He sounds like hes probably a fun dude. Not much experience dealing with him. He seems aight I guess.
Wakako is cool too. I'd love to hear more stories from her. She probably has a few really interesting stories. Takemura described her pretty well, but all and all. She's alright.
Then theres dino. I like Dino. Rockerboy kinda vibes. He's friends with Kerry so that automatically makes him cool.
I think I'm forgetting someone but not sure...
Dexter deshawn seemed cool until the end of the heist mission.

Can't think of anybody else at the moment.

Top Bottom