Let's talk about national foods & drinks

+
Yeah, but when I eat my raw beef, I buy from my butcher 100 meters away. prepare it and eat it. Painfully making sure the cooling chain is never interrupted.
Then the German in-laws buy supermarket pre-packaged ground pork that's apparently good for 4-5 days. Smear it on a bread let it sit for 4-5 hours at room temperature and wonder why I wouldn't touch that. Maybe because there wasn't a single time they had the raw pork without someone being sick after?

Food food food...what about drinks?

Today I discovered a new taste of Żubrówka - Żubrówka Złota(Gold). It's just so good, you can drink it straight without anything to chase it with.

http://russianstandard.com/news/ubrwka-extends-product-range-with-ubrwka-zota-in-poland

Last edited:
Today I discovered a new taste of Żubrówka - Żubrówka Złota(Gold). It's just so good, you can drink it straight without anything to chase it with.
I know nothing about Żubrówka Gold, but the normal one goes really good with apple juice and fresh cucumber. We did invent this long drink once in a bar (afterhours) and it became a standard long dring for many evenings. It is tricky though, you should not underestimate it. It has power.
Borsh' of course.

Ohh yeah. Barszcz as a soup for Christmas, a must have. In polish version more clear.
Barszcz z uszkami ( dough squares filled with mushrooms and kraut)
View attachment 8784

Kutia
View attachment 8785

Pierogi (dough squares filled with a mix of potatoes, onion and ham or mushrooms or kraut or meat - what you prefer):
View attachment 8786

Trout:
View attachment 8787

Pierniki - lebkuchen / ginger bread cake:
View attachment 8789

So, it's going to be tasty ;)

Attachments

• barszcz z uszkami.jpg
    barszcz z uszkami.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 52
  • kutia.jpg
    kutia.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 57
  • pierogi.jpg
    pierogi.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 55
  • pstrąg pieczony.jpeg
    pstrąg pieczony.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 70
  • pierniki.JPG
    pierniki.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Got to say i've just tasted me last batch o mince pies, fresh out o oven, cold whipped cream to cool, the spicy tang of all the spices dazzling the tongue and the kick of a generous measure of rum has really made for a fine recipe this year. Taking a couple o bakers dozens in for the lads tomorrow, think i'll finally be popular.

Food food food...what about drinks?

http://russianstandard.com/news/ubrwka-extends-product-range-with-ubrwka-zota-in-poland

Wonderful. I wonder if it will ever show up this side of the Atlantic. Our FDA has a thing about Żubrówka. The only one we can get is Żu, which is coumadin-free.

Anyway, drinks. This is our local beer. It can stand for the whole Southern California craft brewing trade.

Last edited:
Tonight I´ll spend Christmas Eve at my sister´s house. So, we will prepare a typical Christmas dish here in Argentina: "vitel toné".

It´s actually an Italian dish named "vitello tonnato", adapted to our taste (and language!).

I´ll try to remember to take a picture when we´ve finished it to post it here!

Almost didn't give you a REDpoint because of this.

Also, what's up with pedolog over there?

It's because you hate puns I don't answ...Oh! Hell!

In Catalan I might to reply you: "El pedolog está fart de les meves visites"

*Pedolog -> Fart Doctor
*fart -> Fed up

Nodaway... you've noticed you'll be a little more grumpy today....You look nicer whe you are grumpier ;)

Last edited:
@Lotherien Klawiatura cała w ślinie.
Had the same as i saw your post. As for neighbours, we do have quite simmilar food. As i saw your enrty i was thinking damn, must be tasty. And i will have it too :D

Tonight I´ll spend Christmas Eve at my sister´s house. So, we will prepare a typical Christmas dish here in Argentina: "vitel toné".
I did spent Christmas in Argentina 2 years ago. It was absolutely stunning to have all of your native and really tasty food. We did eat a lot of grilled meat and vegetables, fish and empanadas. And the wine, seriously i do not drink everything, have rather a bit special taste. Regardless of which one we had, they were all good. Particularly malbec. How is that possible?
Argentinian beef and steaks ... mmmmm...

View attachment 8843

Would like to go back there someday. I loved the country and the people.

And as for Christmas and winter at all, you shall not forget the Glühwein (mulled wine / hot spieced wine). There is absolutely nothing better for the cold, dark winter evenings to keep you warm. From the inside.
Cheers!
View attachment 8842

Attachments

• Gluehwein.jpg
    Gluehwein.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 60
  • as.jpg
    as.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Because it's New Year's Eve today, I thought I'd share with you something we traditionally eat here today (I think similar in Belgium?).

Oliebollen (literally "oil balls"):

Balls of dough filled with raisins/apple/other things as preferred, deepfried and topped with powdered sugar.
Simple, but good.

Because it's New Year's Eve today, I thought I'd share with you something we traditionally eat here today (I think similar in Belgium?).

Oliebollen (literally "oil balls"):

Balls of dough filled with raisins/apple/other things as preferred, deepfried and topped with powdered sugar.
Simple, but good.

Indeed, in Belgium we eat them too. In fact I ate them last week at a Christmas market in Ghent. But most of the time we don't do something in them, it's just the fried dough. And in Belgium, and this differs from the Netherlands I think, we don't eat them traditionally on new year's eve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom