Let's talk about Quen Sign...

+
Let's talk about Quen Sign...

First of all: Yes, I am currently playing this card. But I am really asking myself why.

This card feels so fucking bad. I will explain you why I am thinking like this:

1. Destroying... (shield doesn't help)
2. Locking... (shield dosn't help)
3. Banish... (shield doesn't help)
4. Multiple Damage in one round (shield help only once, examples: two Savage Bears, Philippa Eilhart)
5. If you replay a card with a shield, the shield is gone... (lol???)
6. If you draw this card in the final round with only one or two cards it is useless. You are loosing the game because you draw this card.

I understand if a shield can't block banshing effects. But locking, destroying or at least two bears should be blocked by a card that might loose a game if you draw it in the last round. Also you can get easyly rushed after playing this card in the first round.

The only way to play this card without getting rushed is to play it with Síle de Tansarville.
The only reason for playing this card is to protect an important unit in your deck from being destroyed. But it is not protected... just the strength removing effects are blocked for the very first damage done to the unit. Really underpowered card in my opinion.

Anybody else playing that card? What are your reasons to play it. Did it help you?

I'm playing it as scoia'tael, but i feel its a bit weak as well. it's basically up to 6 strength card which blocks damaging effects, but nothing else. (it does not block what you mentioned nor maerdrome.)
Also for you to take it's full strength you'll need all 3 units you put quen on.

It can work somewhat decent in situations like giving the spawn on mulligan elfs it or the blue mountain commandoes. But for its extremely situational use it's a rather weak card all things considered. Why run it over something like thunderbolt or swallow potions which both have a higher boost and is more reliable to get the effect of?

Hell even lacerate straight up gives a more reliable 6 str effect than quen. (hitting only 2 targets)

Quen would be much more useful if it blocked more effects or gave a stronger effect.

I just opened an Ida Emean today. Card seems pretty cool. Don't have many silvers, always glad to get one. :)

you should be focusing Quen Sign solely on the boost for multiples in decks like Blue's or Queen's. Don't focus on the crappy shield. Plenty of cards have defense such as armour or shield built in.

I would prefer not to boost the units by two but block all enemy spells for once. This wouldn't be a strong card in my opinion. But it is at least useful.

Quen shield is fine. I usually play it on my Ekimaras, and despite that most of the time expect them to be killed anyway. Its not about keeping my high strength Ekimara on board. Its about how many cards my opponent spend to actually kill it. And usually it quite some. So all fine.

Red-Wyrm;n8758240 said:
Quen shield is fine. I usually play it on my Ekimaras, and despite that most of the time expect them to be killed anyway. Its not about keeping my high strength Ekimara on board. Its about how many cards my opponent spend to actually kill it. And usually it quite some. So all fine.

It is one card needed! Any lock, banish or destroy effects are killing it...

Your enemy spend 1 card for killing , while you've spended 2 cards for playing. (Compared to weather: You play one card f.e. RNR, your enemy spends one for killing the effect but still gets 9 damage.)

I don't feel like quen needs to be changed. I use it for my shieldmaidens who I can just pull from my deck at the same time. Quen is used to block DAMAGE, not effects. I think this would make quen way too powerful if it prevented cards like scorch, or several attacks. Imagine if your opponent pulls out a massive card, then shoves a quen shield on it. How often do you have 2 scorches in your hand? or 2 bears? Do you have the cards to combo to make sure your only scorch or bear or whatever lands? Id rather have quen kept much like it is now, maybe give it better weather resistence, but if it prevented hard removals there would be incredible room for exploitation id rather not deal with.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agree with OP. I mean Quen used to be even worse. Then it got a little better. Now even better with the Open Beta... but still kinda sucks, i dont really use it on any deck.

DanielSens;n8758440 said:
It is one card needed! Any lock, banish or destroy effects are killing it...

Your enemy spend 1 card for killing , while you've spended 2 cards for playing. (Compared to weather: You play one card f.e. RNR, your enemy spends one for killing the effect but still gets 9 damage.)

Untill i played second ekimara, who ate first one locked, and second one have shield as well, and total +3 strength from old one ;)

And lets not talk about RNR. Its broken, period :p

DanielSens;n8744940 said:
Anybody else playing that card? What are your reasons to play it. Did it help you?

In NR Deck I have one. The two main reasons are :
- If I have Sile in hand, playing quen is not a big commitment.
- Playing trebs with 7 strength is quite different.

But, the main advantage I see in this card is the delayed commitment :
When you play quen, you don t commit to the actual round, it's one of the few cards that really allow to not over-push an advantage (you only commit to the creatures you will play next, if you don t pass). But it's a really hard aspect to play on because there are heavy constraints (you must have access your creature in hand, you have to wait to play it/them, you have to be sure to draw the others ....)

Quen is useful for cards that summons themselves and you can make them resilient. Ng have these cards that have a 2 turn counters on it, those could work ok with mechanics on top. And great for holding out and use a spy card and throw the round.

KingPegasus;n8777710 said:
Quen is useful for cards that summons themselves and you can make them resilient. Ng have these cards that have a 2 turn counters on it, those could work ok with mechanics on top. And great for holding out and use a spy card and throw the round.

Thank you Potzato and KingPegasus. I see that the card is playable in some situations/decks.

I think boosting units was the wrong way to buff this card. You are using it besides the basic goal to protect a card. Would like to see another version of quen sign...

Far from optimal, but a lot of fun boosting Kaedweni Sergeants and thus your whole deck.

DanielSens;n8781970 said:
Would like to see another version of quen sign...

You are absolutely right, because I forgot to mention than aside the few specificities, It's also one of the few useless card to topdeck at round 3 (with the bear transfo, below weathers).

Top Bottom