Let's talk about Scoiatael

+
Let's talk about Scoiatael

In my opinion Scoia is still little underpowered in comparison to other factions and it has too many weak cards, that needs some buff. It gets little better with first patch, that nerfed all other faction and I also know there is thread here about how Scoia is actually strong. I did not want argue about that and my favorite deck is elf swarm, even thought it is not my best deck.

But I think that CD should make Scoia little more accessible for beginners. Sure, Scoia is tricky faction so it will be always little harder to start with it. But something should be done with horrible choice for starter leader and how difficult is Scoia ability is for beginners.

Let's start with Francesca, I'm sure she has fans. But I think she need little boost and she is least played starter leader for sure, even when I take into account Scoia is least played faction. I get it, most leaders have ability equal to silver card. And you can argue that Francesca effect is similar to Last Wish, silver card that is played in some deck. I still think that Last Wish is better than Francesca, because discarding is better than shuffling back. And even thought Last Wish let you see only 2 more cards instead of 3, you know what you drew before discarding so it is at least much easier to make correct decision. And that is my point. Maybe Francesca is not worst Scoia leader how I think she is, but she is by far hardest leader to use correctly. Even Last Wish is only played in advanced decks that looks for some specific cards. Compare this to any other starter leader, Eredin and Crach both give 10 power on board, no question asked. And when my opponent copied his buffed rushed Catapult with Foltest and I responded by exchanging 1-3 cards and I was not even sure, if my new hand is better than old, I really questioned my choice of faction.

Now Scoia faction ability. Again compare it to other factions. NR gives +2 bonus to gold, sure that is good. All Skellige units gain +1 after each round, that seemed even more insane to me when I started. And monster could keep one unit, I did not liked randomness of it, but opening with Geralt/Eredin and pass was everywhere at that time and it is quite hard to counter with starter deck. Now Scoia, as beginner I was asking what this ability even do and how should I use it. Should I play first or last, should I use it on first round or when? OK, I played Gwent in Witcher 3, so I knew I want play last. But I had no idea who will start next round so I wasted many uses on outcome, that would happen anyway and I'm still not sure, who will play first when round ends in tie.

Even now, when I value playing last card super high and I play Decoy + Spy in nearly all of my 15 different decks, I still think Scoia ability is weakest, but I could see arguments otherwise. But again, it is quite hard concept to get right for beginners and you need to play so you will always keep card parity with opponent, because if you are 1 - 2 card behind, Scoia ability will have nearly no effect when opponent will be able to play last card(s). I think Scoia ability should be that you can always play last, it will be only small boost, because when you lose round, you play last anyway so it will be only about round one where you would normally play last in half games.

But what bother me most, is why to let player choose in first place? I mean in 95% I choose to play last after round I won, the rest 5% are games where I misclicked or missed choice because of super short timer. OK, maybe there is like 1 game in 50, where I could make willingly different choice. But it is not worth it, the choices is there only to confuse new players and let them make mistake and this clearly bad design.

Last edited:
I apologize that I didn't read all of that. I just read like two sentences and I already know what I want to say. Scoia probably can't be buffed right now because it has some of the strongest leaders and gold cards in the game. I do agree that the regular bronze cards are somewhat weak compared to like NR or Skellige but it gets made up for it through the power cards.

Maybe the devs will make some changes to make the faction more consistent. Or maybe just wait for new cards.

StrykerxS77x;n7048840 said:
I apologize that I didn't read all of that. I just read like two sentences and I already know what I want to say. Scoia probably can't be buffed right now because it has some of the strongest leaders and gold cards in the game. I do agree that the regular bronze cards are somewhat weak compared to like NR or Skellige but it gets made up for it through the power cards.

I agree. Imo, scoiatael is right now the strongest faction. I can only beat scoia when my enemy do missplays really. If i'm facing a good player, simply theres not how to beat that spell/card advantage build.

Yep I agree with the scoia passive being rather weak compared to other factions. I think scoia and monsters passive definitely need some rework. And with Scoia cards, like StrykerxS77x said I think they should rebalance the strong and weak cards so that the decks are more beginner friendly in general and somewhat in the same spot like other factions.

Last edited:
Laveley;n7048870 said:
I agree. Imo, scoiatael is right now the strongest faction. I can only beat scoia when my enemy do missplays really. If i'm facing a good player, simply theres not how to beat that spell/card advantage build.

I would be frustrated to if I had to play me lol. Sometimes I get to play commanders horn 3 times and Igni twice. That's a lot of power.

Maybe the devs will make some changes to make the faction more consistent. Or maybe just wait for new cards.

Agree with this, although i do think the OP has a point about making the faction easier for beginners to get to grips with as to me it has the biggest barrier to entry even if the deck is strong overall once you get the right cards.

That's mostly where the "it's weak " cries come from IMO but when you spend some time with it you realise it isn't really the case.

Oh man, I really should have made my original post shorter. My point is not that Scoia is weak, but it is super hard for beginners, because Francesca is by far hardest leader to use correctly and they should choose different leader for starter deck. And that Scoia ability is also very confusing at the beginning. I would prefer, if there will be no choice, because there is only one right choice 99% of time. And maybe there should be little boost to it, like playing last in first round in addition to playing last after round you won.

Last edited:
Today i got Iorveth and Borch in kegs (lucky me), and decided to try to play a SCO deck for a change.
I did play something like 20 game in a row, loosing most of them, but everybody give me GG, so my progress move only 3 time (so 3 win only) but i had more than 120 gold and a lot of scrap from GG, it was not so bad. I really had a lot of fun with it, but i really need more powerful card to make it playable against my current opponents.

Just after loosing all this game i needed to up before the daily reset, so i played a NR Henselt deck, for something like 20 game too, and loose maybe 2, playing a really horrible cheese (Olgier buff promote, or Borch played at each round with demote / resurrect, or even better, both of them) lot less fun, but it did get me some win.

All that to say that i didn't play a lot of SCO since the start of the beta, but it's by far my favorite faction to play, and the one where i need a lot of card to be able to play it (to win, not only for fun).

from what i test with "a bit above starter" cards :

HS is a win if the opponent doesn't know the strat or don't have anything to deal with it (so it's almost always a loose)

sticky dwarf can be powerful against some deck, but totally worthless against other, and i don't actually have anything to make the deck more "adaptable"

I don't have the card to play novice (commando)

I only got the base leader and Hoog (but without the good silver card he his totally useless).

Of topic, but it was one of my thinking about the versatility and adaptability :

What if leader could have more than one ability that you choose when you see your opponent ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom