Lets talk about Smart weapons

+
So, with smart weapons, I understand it's appeal, for people who lack skill or don't care for combat in RPGs. But that doesn't mean it should require 0 skill to use. Balancing reload times, damage, range and bullet spread are all important, but what about aim? In the gameplay, smart guns have big boxy reticles, but you don't even need to aim within them for you to hit enemies, so what's the point of it? Should there be an advantage to aiming with the reticle? For example, what if you do most damage within the reticle, but you only do half or less damage the farther outside the reticle the enemy's located, as well as doing more damage the closer they are to the center of that reticle.
Screenshot_20200821-202257.png

Screenshot_20200821-202321.png

Screenshot_20200821-203043.png

We are only 3 months away, but if there's any room for improvement, I'm down. I know they've been open about improving melee combat.

Not only that, but do the enemies get smart weapons too? I won't be convinced they're a good idea until I play because they just seem like a win button based on what they've shown.
I do agree, I definitely think other enemies should use them too, but how would that work against the player if bullets track you? I think the devs have said that the abilities and weapons used by you, can also be used be enemies, which makes alot of sense.
Post automatically merged:

Also if cdpr really wanted to, they could make it where shooting only works on enemies if you're aiming within the reticle. And going back to the original idea, another layer they could add is for bullet tracking to be less accurate or less likely to hit your target when not aiming within the reticle.

Last edited:

VelWu

Forum regular
I'm going to be frank. I don't like smart guns and consider them anti-fun.

Also, really really really hate this 8-barreled aimbot shotty made by Kang Tao. How is it even a thing at all !? The clunky-looking brick may be fun the first three fights or so, but I don't see how the game can still feel anything but gimmickry once it becomes a main stay in your arsenal.

I dislike such things for the same reason I disliked the smart pistols in Titanfall 1 and the poorly-implemented VATS in Fallout 3.

These aimbot guns better be locked deep behind some hard-to-reach perk tree branches, or they better get nerfed. Or I might just stay away from them and pretend they never existed.

Also if cdpr really wanted to, they could make it where shooting only works on enemies if you're aiming within the reticle. And going back to the original idea, another layer they could add is for bullet tracking to be less accurate or less likely to hit your target when not aiming within the reticle.

I remember about the accuracy of of smart guns and bullet ricochet was discussed a while back. And in nw2 seems like their keeping this 99.99% accuracy. Looking at it now I actually dont mind it because, and i believed its already confirmed, enemies will use any weapon in the world agaisnt u too. other than that they should include where both u and enemies can hack the auto-target of the smartweapon.

1598062123734.png

It is seen here we need a smart link to unlock full pontial of targeting system. So I imagined that full acurracy will not be implemented until u have this "smart link". OR it could be just a industrial statement label thing and it's automatically linked throughout the game. in that case it needs somekind of cyber connection, which means potential to be hacked.

I also like if they can include some way to physically decrease smart weapon efficiency through somekind of smoke screen like the flares for heat seeking plane missiles. either way the point is weapon balance and overall gameplay balance. But its not big issue if they didnt implement any of these suggestions.

These aimbot guns better be locked deep behind some hard-to-reach perk tree branches,

i dont think they'll lock out the guns as u can get it from enemies u kill. but the smarlink thing i was talking about maybe potentially a perk lock out.

Last edited:
I'm going to be frank. I don't like smart guns and consider them anti-fun.

Also, really really really hate this 8-barreled aimbot shotty made by Kang Tao. How is it even a thing at all !? The clunky-looking brick may be fun the first three fights or so, but I don't see how the game can still feel anything but gimmickry once it becomes a main stay in your arsenal.

I dislike such things for the same reason I disliked the smart pistols in Titanfall 1 and the poorly-implemented VATS in Fallout 3.

These aimbot guns better be locked deep behind some hard-to-reach perk tree branches, or they better get nerfed. Or I might just stay away from them and pretend they never existed.
I'm not a fan of the smart weapons too, but I think it's important to understand that it's an option, so I don't have to touch these weapons at all during the playthrough. And I think that there might be an audience of people who are just really terrible at first person shooters and wouldn't mind using these guns, or even people with disabilities.

It is seen here we need a smart link to unlock full pontial of targeting system. So I imagined that full acurracy will not be implemented until u have this "smart link".

i dont think they'll lock out the guns as u can get it from enemies u kill. but the smarlink thing i was talking about maybe potentially a perk lock out.
Smart link I believe is the hand grip that you have installed in the prologue including the kiroshi eye upgrade.

So, with smart weapons, I understand it's appeal, for people who lack skill or don't care for combat in RPGs. But that doesn't mean it should require 0 skill to use. Balancing reload times, damage, range and bullet spread are all important, but what about aim? In the gameplay, smart guns have big boxy reticles, but you don't even need to aim within them for you to hit enemies, so what's the point of it? Should there be an advantage to aiming with the reticle?

I like the idea of having particular advantages and/or disadvantages with smart weapons, such as with the reticle. But what about unique fire modes?

So, for instance, we could have a smart weapon that uses three firing modes. Lock, bounce, and splash.

So lock mode forces the weapon to shoot in a straight line hence firing through the reticle, but with greater stability and rate of fire. Bounce mode makes the projectiles sort of arc's between targets, but with lower damage each time a projectile bounces to another target. And splash mode, which is a heavily focused shooting mode that produces a significantly high damage/wide radius projectile, but with much lower shooting range. Such mode can be translated to Witcher fighting styles, fast, group, and strong. And I find such fighting style pretty more appealing than the used weapons themselves because it gives a priority for strategic and tactical approaches while attacking enemies.

We could also have an extra layer of fun when using smart weapons like a charged shot. So, with the above example of firing modes in mind, holding the shooting button can make a projectile penetrate targets and travel farther or increase the amount of bounces between targets or increase a projectile's AOE. But such charged shots cause much lower fire rate in all three modes. And of course such weapons should be also used by adversaries, but not all of them. So these weapons should be available only with med.-to-high ranking opponents.

All in all, I find smart weapons are not only fun to use, but also pretty important for a game like Cyberpunk :cool:

IMHO. If CDPR are to add some direct PvP interaction, this ain't gonna fly. Imagine Titanfall's Smart Pistol (boy, had it been annoying) but full-auto... It's horrible! Say what you want about "scrub mentality" (oh boo-hoo, don't like it - don't use it, find a way to outsmart smart-weapons user), but this is too much. You can change tracking time, or whatever... still is annoying (Respawn tried to nerf Smart Pistol in Titanfall 2... still Smart Pistol is the sign of a proper douchebag).
If we're talking about singleplayer, well... Atlas weapons in Borderlands 3 were fun, say what you want. Cos they had low RoF, meh damage, no elementals BUT... tracking. At that was pretty ok, y'know. So, if I'm talking about SP only, I'm fine with that, after all, no one should tell you what to do in your very own Night City.

Last edited:
In watching through the videos we see a couple things with smart weapons:
1. They aim for center mass unless you have leveled your skill with them and can aim in the open; i.e. the most armored part.
2. They are rocket projected, vs power or railgun. And they don't track in a straight line. By definition of physics and thrust mechanics that means they don't have the regular direct thrust mechanics of a regular bullet; vectors of thrust are wasted as they curve. That means they don't hit as hard or do as much damage no matter where they hit vs one of the other systems.
3. They curve, but they don't take hard turns. In the videos the player has to step out and designate a target in the reticule box, the enemy gets locked and designated as red, and then the player has to aim far enough to the right, left, up, etc. So that the rocket thrust can hit the hidden enemy.

So it is an inferior weapon in many ways, still requires the player to go into danger to use, but plays a role in clearing crouching enemies from cover or at least getting them to move; i.e. its an anti-camping mechanic. Similar to using the cybernetic eyes that allow you to track bounce mechanics of straight line power weapons. I assume any bounce, deflection, or curve mechanic will make the round substantially weaker already. No nerf needed in my books, especially if enemy are also weilding.

I'm NOT very happy with how Smart Weapons are implemented.

But the alternative seems to be making combat near impossible for those not skilled at or capable of FPS gameplay.
So really a matter of "Damn'd if ya do, damn'd if ya don't".

And at this point in development it's not going to change significantly, so we'll get what we get.

I wish CDPR had implemented smart weapons as giving a significant aim boost instead of this firing around cover business, but at this point, it's a bit late in the process for change.

I'm not sure what to make of them.

To begin with, I don't know the main reasoning behind smartweapons. Is it to add variety and a cool factor? Are enemies going to really hunker down and therefore they'll be essential?

Or is it primarily to help those who have difficulty with FPS mechanics? I mean, it can be both but what is the priority?

If it's the former then I hope they give us good reasons to use them, specific situations with appropriate pros and cons.

If it's the latter then there might be issues.

For example, I enjoyed 'bending' powers around cover at enemies in Mass Effect; making sure you gave the projectile enough room to turn.

Even though it wasn't too difficult, a similar thing for smartguns still increases the skill needed to use them, thereby making them less useful for those who want help with FPS. Couple that with lower damage output (confirmed if I'm not mistaken) and it still means non-fps'ers get a bit of a raw deal. It may be worse if the player who wants to simplify shooting also dislikes gunplay the more spongy enemies are. The more hits needed with a smartgun, the more spongy enemies will seem.

So you've potentially got players still wrestling with the controls, enemies not going down so easily (all the while still shooting back) and having to fight for longer to finish the battle.

If smartguns are there for those who want help, maybe they should be more straight forward. I'm trying to remember the smartgun from the Aliens games - maybe something like that.

Still, how they feel and impact the game is hard to know just from small clips.

I'm expecting to have problems with bullet sponges and smart weapons probably dividing their damage among every enemy in their giant targeting reticle. But the other option is to not play CP2077 because FPS is not an option for me.

I love the creativity and futurism behind the smart weapons. I think their inclusion is an awesome one for Cyberpunk. Can they be aim-botty? Absolutely. Is that such a terrible thing? I don't think so. For one, we have no idea how ammunition will work in this game. The assumptions here are that it will work like COD, we're always going to have a full magazine and full on-body capacity at all times. It's taking into assumption that all enemies will always drop ammunition for these smart weapons so that we can just point-and-click our way through the game. I highly doubt that CDPR would go to all the heartache and pain of building out the Cyberpunk universe into this massive game to make is so simple a kindergartner could finish it.

It's a very valid argument that they make gameplay super simplistic, if you also make the aforementioned assumptions. To me, this adds more of a futuristic and cyberpunk flavour to the game that, I as a fan, crave to see. If they're looked at as more of like an Ult or Super move, then they become even more interesting to customization. You now have the ability to create even more unique and interesting builds for a character by what Smart Weapons you can come across.

As someone with a physical disability (quad), this is huge. It opens the game up to so much gun game play that would be impossible otherwise. I would have been happy with an aim assist option, but the went above and beyond by creating a whole new tier of weapons!! I love it! I can't wait till November!

The assumptions here are that it will work like COD, we're always going to have a full magazine and full on-body capacity at all times.

They have said that increased skill in using a firearm will affects its animations, including faster reload. So one can assume that there is a reload animation and that it is significant enough so you can notice when it gets better.

I'm NOT very happy with how Smart Weapons are implemented.

But the alternative seems to be making combat near impossible for those not skilled at or capable of FPS gameplay.
So really a matter of "Damn'd if ya do, damn'd if ya don't".

And at this point in development it's not going to change significantly, so we'll get what we get.

I agree. It doesn't look very... fun.

I would've hoped that with Smart Guns CDPR would've gone for more (character) skill driven performance.

If it requires a smart link, they could've made it so that the smart link actually just simulates the characters accuracy as per his skill from hip and with an eye implant, allow locking on singular targets again with the characters skill in the main role. There could've been a design there with smart guns that encouraged a more methodical and tactical approach to combat where the stats mattered instead of blazing on similiarly to the other gun types.

We don't know how skills affect those guns, but it just seems like a sort of cheat to get your bullets behind cover, and a crutch for those who aren't comfortable with twitchy FPS combat.

Top Bottom