Lets talk about the Voice Acting and the Writing!

+

Are you looking forward to V being voiced?

• Total voters
What do you think about the concern of a few minor group of journalists about the writting being too chessy in some parts of the gameplay or the voice of V that we all ear on the trailer?
I hope the main voices for V had a strong and unique personality (LIke Gerald voice actor)
And of course Im hoping a visceral and 100% cyberpunk writting.

So, whats your opinion and wishes about this subject.

I don't think it's a concern at all. At least not of mine, thought the voice actor sounded fine. If the game had not been voice acted, I honestly would have probably passed on it - proper voice acting plays a pretty big part in story telling and immersion, IMO.

As far as the story being "cheesy" - we have no way of knowing at this point. Need to see actual gameplay footage / more information from CDPR before I can make any kind of an informed determination.

the writing can be cheesy if some characters are cheesy by default. In general,I want sharp writing and good voice acting.Witcher 3 had those qualities and I expect CP will have them too

From what i've heard from the journalists, they all said the writing and voice acting was sometimes really cringe worthy and cheesy (sounds like they are trying to hard to be edgy, completely cringe worthy and cheesy lines) which is really alarming. Something like this should not happen. Even if the genre is edgy and all, cheesy writing is still bad period (imo). Its something that truly worries me since Writing is one of the primary strenght of Cdpr. Also, i wonder if they'll be able to change it and make it better. Is it possible to change dialogues and voice acting late in development ?

So, what do you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we're still a long way off from any final scripting or voice acting. They have to get the technical details down first and then they can focus on the story and dialogue.

I think we're still a long way off from any final scripting or voice acting. They have to get the technical details down first and then they can focus on the story and dialogue.
so the shit dialogues from the demo will change since the feedback is bad ? Nice ! I was worried they were too far in development to change it

From what i've heard from the journalists and the people who listened to the audio demo, they all said the writing and voice acting was sometimes really cringe worthy and cheesy (sounds like they are trying to hard to be edgy, completely cringe worthy and cheesy lines) which is really alarming. Something like this should not happen. Even if the genre is edgy and all, cheesy writing is still bad period (imo). Its something that truly worries me since Writing is one of the primary strenght of Cdpr. Also, i wonder if they'll be able to change it and make it better. Is it possible to change dialogues and voice acting late in development ?

So, what do you think ?

Also, i don't want them to change character persona because journalist wants it for whatever reason. If they written character X to be edgy douchebag, then it should stay that way. Im pretty sure we'll get many different characters during the game. Its Cyberpunk world for fuck sake, with degenerate uneducated low-life characters. Everything is cringe these days for some people.

Also, i don't want them to change character persona because journalist wants it for whatever reason. If they written character X to be edgy douchebag, then it should stay that way. Im pretty sure we'll get many different characters during the game. Its Cyberpunk world for fuck sake, with degenerate uneducated low-life characters. Everything is cringe these days for some people.
Not really. Cringe and cheesy writing is always bad. it doesnt feel organic, realistic which throws all the immersion in the thrash. Its just bad. Edgy douchebad doesnt have to sound cheesy or cringe worthy. I mean come on. The journalists arent the only ones to say the writing is bad.

Not really. Cringe and cheesy writing is always bad. it doesnt feel organic, realistic which throws all the immersion in the thrash. Its just bad. Edgy douchebad doesnt have to sound cheesy or cringe worthy. I mean come on. The journalists arent the only ones to say the writing is bad.

The thing is that most journalist and others who watched the demo didnt have problem with the writing, i read most of the previews from different sources or even languagues. And what is cringe and cheesy for some people, is perfectly fine for others. Like i said before for some people everything is cringe worthy these days.

The thing is that most journalist and others who watched the demo didnt have problem with the writing, i read most of the previews from different sources or even languagues. And what is cringe and cheesy for some people, is perfectly fine for others. Like i said before for some people everything is cringe worthy these days.
Those feedbacks are really important. Compared to the writing quality of the Witcher 3, its really bad.

I want to see what it's like when it's closer to completion, but... Sci-fi dialogue with a heavy realistic base can be extremely hard to nail after doing what amounts to pure fantasy. I admit I have some concerns that CDPR's history with the Witcher series may hinder it with CP2077.

I want to see what it's like when it's closer to completion, but... Sci-fi dialogue with a heavy realistic base can be extremely hard to nail after doing what amounts to pure fantasy. I admit I have some concerns that CDPR's history with the Witcher series may hinder it with CP2077.
Im not worried about that, I’m worried we will get cheesy and cringe shit like in the demo. However I’m pretty sure it will change since it’s the constant criticism from all of the people who went to the demo (almost everyone wrote under the negative part of the feedback paper that the writing and voice acting was bad). It’s really consistant. We shouldn’t expect anything less than the Witcher 3 and from what I’ve heard it’s less. We should give feedback to them so they can change it and make it better

Im not worried about that, I’m worried we will get cheesy and cringe shit like in the demo. However I’m pretty sure it will change since it’s the constant criticism from all of the people who went to the demo (almost everyone wrote under the negative part of the feedback paper that the writing and voice acting was bad). It’s really consistant. We shouldn’t expect anything less than the Witcher 3 and from what I’ve heard it’s less. We should give feedback to them so they can change it and make it better

That's not matching up with any of the reviews I found online. There were a couple expressed concerns about the level of foul language used and some of the colorful euphemisms, but both of those are within tolerance range of that particular region in the real world. So, I'm not seeing any unrealistic cheese?

Im not worried about that, I’m worried we will get cheesy and cringe shit like in the demo.

Have you seen the demo to make that statement? There were journalists (very few compared to the people who praised everything about it) who talked about the cheesiness, they never said anything about "cringe shit".

Like you are talking without seeing anything, just making assumptions by what some people have said.

Some level of "cheesiness" might be intentional. It is probably not easy to judge based on a 50 minutes demo, and of course when you play the game yourself, you can pick different dialogue options. But in the context of the entire game, the style of the writing could make sense, and it would not be an issue.

Some level of "cheesiness" might be intentional. It is probably not easy to judge based on a 50 minutes demo, and of course when you play the game yourself, you can pick different dialogue options. But in the context of the entire game, the style of the writing could make sense, and it would not be an issue.

They might be angling for a Tarantino angle as he was mentioned as an inspiration years ago when they discussed the style of the game. But I think they have to be careful with this. It's one thing to listen to his unique style for 2 hours, and entirely another to be hearing it for 60-100 hrs. TW3's strength was that so much of the dialog is understated and subtle. The writers almost never beat you over the head with snappy or clever lines.

Last edited:
They might be angling for a Tarantino angle as he was mentioned as an inspiration years ago when they discussed the style of the game. But I think they have to be careful with this. It's one thing to listen to his unique style for 2 hours, and entirely another to be hearing it for 60-100 hrs. TW3's strength was that so much of the dialog is understated and subtle. The writers almost never beat you over the head with snappy or clever lines.

There is more to Tarantino style than being heavy on profanities. He's a master of ( every day) analogy, suspense and drama.

Or my favorite dialogue from Jules:

There’s a passage I got memorized.
Ezekiel 25:17. “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you.” Now… I been sayin’ that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, that meant your ass. You’d be dead right now. I never gave much thought to what it meant. I just thought it was a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before I popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin’ made me think twice. See, now I’m thinking: maybe it means you’re the evil man. And I’m the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here… he’s the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you’re the righteous man and I’m the shepherd and it’s the world that’s evil and selfish. And I’d like that. But that shit ain’t the truth. The truth is you’re the weak. And I’m the tyranny of evil men. But I’m tryin’, Ringo. I’m tryin’ real hard to be the shepherd.

So once again: No Talking About Leaked Demo Content. Or hinting, suggesting or putting "quotes" around it.

CDPR was REALLY not happy about the leak for multiple reasons, not least because they ( every Dev I talked to) felt betrayed by it.

How about if we respect their wishes and Move On.

Top Bottom