Lets talk about the women of the Northern Kingdoms

+

Dear CD Project.
I would really like if you could this time really invest to the female npcs in the game. Make them more richly
variable looking, just like you have alreay done with male characters so well. I mean, if you look at your two previous games
it is kinda obvious to discover that you use only three kinds of women in the story: young, skinny maiden-looking ones with
breast-implantish round bosoms, old hag ones to portray all the matriarchs and prostitute ones with even larger breast-implants.
Just those three character models. Nothing in between.

I was kinda dissapointed to discover that the woman in the demo that Geralt helped looked almost like a Hollywood actress who had decided to go live in the forest, in a small cabin. To wait for Geralt to bang her at some point.
Really CD project? I thought long hard life in the woods always leaves marks to the body and you usually dont have the time or willingness to dress according to the latest fashion and keep your face at the most attractive condition possible. I quess the beauty salons of the sorceresses reach nowadays even the farthest corners of the world to every woman alive.

Have you considered a wild idea that most women are pretty ordinary looking?
Some can be even ugly in someones eyes but mostly everyone is beautiful in their own way. Some have skinny body, some more roundish. Some can be tall or small or have different sizes of breasts (small bosoms! the horror!). Maybe someone has heavy freckels in her face or is even missing fingers?
I imagine the harsh medievalish conditions that the witcher universe is trying to portray so hard should leave its marks to most women at the Northern Kingdoms. Many should be suffering for example from pox or pox scars, have missing limbs from work accidents or early hunchback from carrying heavy waterbuckets all day long or bruises from husbands beatings.

I just cant take your grim portrayal of "mature RPG world" 100% seriously if you leave most women characters of yours as random eyecandy and sex objects for Geralt to pursue.
Would like to hear your take in this Marcin Momot. And all the other forumers of course

Last edited:
Valid observations my friend. I find it quite hard to disagree, not that I'm looking to. I would also enjoy some more variety in NPCs in general not just the women. I'm sure it's lots of work, but hey, you guys are going for a masterpiece. :)

Edit: I am sure it's due to the huge amount of work, that CDPR hasn't implemented more variety, not their effort to make most women in the game, over the top attractive. I can only imagine the work it would take to have like 15 different skeletons to animate. Dunno though.

Last edited:

Jupiter_on_Mars

Yours are pertinent observations, even though, in all fairness, we've been shown just one female NPC. It's to be determined whether or not she's representative of TW3 female NPC universe.

Greater variety of female body builts would be appreciated. Indeed, regular NPCs should rank somewhere in the middle of the attractiveness spectrum. By definition, most should be ordinary looking, neither repulsive witches nor muses of ineffable beauty. Extreme beauty is highly disruptive. Case in point, and with the caveat we know close to nothing about her background nor where the story is going, the herbalist's beauty makes it so that whatever she says or shows tends to be perceived through a sexual lens. If all female NPCs were this attractive, then that would tend to narrow the perceived gamut of Geralt's interactions, just funnelling them into the corner of promised coitus.

Last edited:
@Jupiter on Mars brings up quite a few fair points. While of course beauty is subjective, I for one found it disheartening that the herbalist shown in the demo was better looking than Triss or Yennefer. I mean, you'd expect that a lady living in the middle of the woods in a dirty hut would not look better than a sorceress. I just hope they go back and take a look at Abigail from TW1, a simple design, she showed natural beauty, and not like she came out of Victoria's Secret.

The only explanation that I've found for that: this particular herbalist girl is a kind of a hermit witch, like an Anezka from TW2 (but living much further from a people). In other ways it's kinda odd, I agree.

A wonderful post - thank you.

I, too, wish for a more varied look in women this time around. Not everyone needs to be granted a massive bosom, and not everyone's faces need to have a flawless, super-smooth complexion with zero details and character. No, if CDPR this time around dared give them as much range and as many non-beautiful variations, as they have dared give the male characters in the past, I would be most pleased and proud.

I thought the witch (Anezka?) of Lobinden was quite normal looking, and more importantly independent and powerful, with a take no shit attitude. The sorceresses were of course beautiful reflecting Sapkowski's little dig at modern vanity products, but again more importantly very different in personality, strong, self motivated, cunning and determined. The women washing her clothes and chatting with her snooty friend in the Flotsam square, behind the merchant was quite normal looking with a normal figure, and spoke of a nice look at a settled ordinary life. Madame Margo and her whores were in my opinion not particularly model-ish in looks, as most whores aren't, but represented a fair view of the average unaugmented body shape. Mama Loredo, now there's an interesting creature, a life of tragedy cursed by her madness? Or perhaps it was a little glimmering of talent, something like Cedric's but never trained or spotted? Whatever she was quite enthralling and distinct.

The elven women are of course classically beautiful and well...Elven, they have that characteristic in the books and we can't change that really, though Geralt might have spoiled Toruviel's looks a bit I suppose.

I don't really mind their clothing only changing in different locales, apart from small embellishments, nationalities wore very similar forms of dress throughout history and we still do to an extent. After all fashion is all about following the herd, and what is acceptable to them. Though different classes would dress differently obviously, and try to top one another with their outfits, the humble peasant would have neither the time nor money for that. They would wear simple homespun cloth or wool, tough and simple with the cheapest dye available as colouring, and have another slightly better cut version for church and important ocassions. I think CDPR did an excellent job of this in Assassins of Kings.

I have no worries with beauty women in TW's game. My worries might easily go to some genetical link between them... They look more as relative than men.

I know that inbreeding is common in isolated communities but... (kidding)

I was not under the impression that female NPCs had a smaller variety than male ones.
And I am not talking about major NPCs, rather the ones that only have a few lines in a side quest or no lines at all.
Male "filler" NPCs in the witcher had only a few different bodytypes/faces as well per race.

But I do agree that sometimes women in TW games are a little too much on the "supermodel" side.

UPDATE: Anezka is one of the best female sidequest NPCs

Last edited:
Sorry, but have seen appreciative differences in female noses for example, differences in mandibular structure in brow height not to mention the eyebrows itself?.
The most significant differences are the color, hair and some narrowing of the head generally not feature by feature. No much more else...

Dear CD Project.
I would really like if you could this time really invest to the female npcs in the game. Make them more richly
variable looking, just like you have alreay done with male characters so well. I mean, if you look at your two previous games
it is kinda obvious to discover that you use only three kinds of women in the story: young, skinny maiden-looking ones with
breast-implantish round bosoms, old hag ones to portray all the matriarchs and prostitute ones with even larger breast-implants.
Just those three character models. Nothing in between.

I was kinda dissapointed to discover that the woman in the demo that Geralt helped looked almost like a Hollywood actress who had decided to go live in the forest, in a small cabin. To wait for Geralt to bang her at some point.
Really CD project? I thought long hard life in the woods always leaves marks to the body and you usually dont have the time or willingness to dress according to the latest fashion and keep your face at the most attractive condition possible. I quess the beauty salons of the sorceresses reach nowadays even the farthest corners of the world to every woman alive.

Have you considered a wild idea that most women are pretty ordinary looking?
Some can be even ugly in someones eyes but mostly everyone is beautiful in their own way. Some have skinny body, some more roundish. Some can be tall or small or have different sizes of breasts (small bosoms! the horror!). Maybe someone has heavy freckels in her face or is even missing fingers?
I imagine the harsh medievalish conditions that the witcher universe is trying to portray so hard should leave its marks to most women at the Northern Kingdoms. Many should be suffering for example from pox or pox scars, have missing limbs from work accidents or early hunchback from carrying heavy waterbuckets all day long or bruises from husbands beatings.

I just cant take your grim portrayal of "mature RPG world" 100% seriously if you leave most women characters of yours as random eyecandy and sex objects for Geralt to pursue.
Would like to hear your take in this Marcin Momot. And all the other forumers of course

A fair point you have here Saladin. Both male and female should have a great variety of character models , and the Witcher 2 had alot more varied male models compared to female ones. Its to early to tell about the witcher 3 character models in my opinion.We have only seen a few snippets so far , and its very hard to judge how detailed and varied their character models are.

To CDPR's credit though , they have made a great effort to add variety to the NPC's of note , be it main story or side story characters.

Do you mean Nilfgaardian women like Assire and Cynthia are... not the same as the Northern Kingdoms?

I agree for more varied look woman, but prefer them still have good looking.
The women of TW 3 are already great, even I like the one in the gameplay trailer.

Last edited:
I agree 100 percent, we should have more varied look for NPC's and more importantly the design of the NPC should reflect the location or job of the NPC. For the woman in the demo, I'm just going to assume she's a witch or something like Abigail from the first game, she's just to damn good looking to be some random peasant girl.

Or, you know, let’s not. These debates always take the same path on here and always end at the same conclusion. I’m not sure what the point of rehashing this tiresome discussion time after time.

I agree 100 percent, we should have more varied look for NPC's and more importantly the design of the NPC should reflect the location or job of the NPC. For the woman in the demo, I'm just going to assume she's a witch or something like Abigail from the first game, she's just to damn good looking to be some random peasant girl.

She's a herbalist, so it kinda makes sense that she knows a few tricks about how to make herself looks more appealing. This way it's much easier to get customers.

About the subject as a whole, funny thing is that The Witcher games already has more body types then Bioware games. where all humans are either good looking or old and still good looking.

100% agree with Saladin. I'd love to see variety in women faces/bodies. Or at least, If you plan to make them all pretty or sexy, at least take away the make up in some.

I think most of the young women in the game looks pretty close to Trist model with a few chages. I really don't complain about that, they are nice, but it could make the game more realistic and, as I said, varied.

(Do you guys remember The Witcher with the same model almost for every npc? :p)

I agree with the OP. there is a lot more variety when it comes to male characters than female. The female characters' models were superb, just make them more varied.

Top Bottom