Let's talk aromor and weapons in terms of immersion

+
"Matcch yourr armor to your situation. If, you're pulling a bodyguard job at a charity ball for an Execc, you'll just embarrass yourself and your employer if you show up in full riot gear. Sure, I've got a set of flak that makes me look like I'm going to war but I've also picked up aa Duraweave fiber business suit from Takanaka. Prewar tech. Maakes me look like II belong in a Corporate HQ but it can stop pistol fire dead. — Cooper"

the implication is the technology is there to make things that look weak, fairly durable, it still has the same stats if its heavy though. not too surprising even in our world we got bulletproof formal suits nowadays

I am not sure if you can get everything at the Max weight, but then again, in that game techs can invent items so probably, might have to be custom.

But why even think about armor and appearances when a persons body could have subdermal armor anyhow?

Something worth to check out: Bulletproof Clothing – Bulletproof Zone

With technologies of the future I can imagine much better use of materials and compounds could be achieved.
A problem with fiction sometimes is, that people create fake to make something appear more real, totally oblivious about what is actually available in real life and where these actual paths will lead in the future.

yeah, I tested it after another post, my guess is enemies scale to your level when they are spawned, then stay at that level, so if you make yourself 50 at the start, they ll all be scaled high.

I can't say the exact mechanic, but its clear they are scaled up if you do that. That said, it makes the beginning super hard, because you don't have any gear. The plus side is its way easier to get gear/money since everything that drops is high level. Id recommend finding one of the armadillo crafting recipes asap, and using stealth early. Its kind of entertaining for me, but might seem too unbalanced for others. I had to craft medpacs and spam them on the car chase, in very beginning because the damage is killer.

Sounds really interesting but doesn't it removes character progression? You start at lvl 50 with a lot of attribute and perk points (I don't know exact number).

Sounds really interesting but doesn't it removes character progression? You start at lvl 50 with a lot of attribute and perk points (I don't know exact number).

it removes Level progression, and you get some perks, but you need gear more than before, and street cred, and you have to level up skills/find perk shards to get more perks, get money.

basically, I feel like I need to progress more in this case, because, even though before you want levels, you don't actually need them to succeed, whereas starting at 50, every little bit helps. I haven't got to the overpowered part yet, might be too easy, but then again, cant be any easier than it would be if I was 50 in normal game.

I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough, but for a second, seems pretty entertaining. Regardless, cuts down on the gearing churn.

it removes Level progression, and you get some perks, but you need gear more than before, and street cred, and you have to level up skills/find perk shards to get more perks, get money.

basically, I feel like I need to progress more in this case, because, even though before you want levels, you don't actually need them to succeed, whereas starting at 50, every little bit helps. I haven't got to the overpowered part yet, might be too easy, but then again, cant be any easier than it would be if I was 50 in normal game.

I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough, but for a second, seems pretty entertaining. Regardless, cuts down on the gearing churn.
I made my new play something like that, but i wanted to get all 20 when i reach level 50, so i start the game and use cyber engine to get 28 (i think) level points, no perk points, only level, so that way when i got to level 50 i would have all 20.
The experience was VERY good, i start putting all in crafting and work my way to get the perks, now i am level 50, enemies still kill me but not all, police is very hard when maxtac shows, and if i don´t have a place to hide i get killed very fast even with the second heart, but i don´t use helmet/cap armor, i like my hair the way it is :)

One level 50 epic armadillo mod has more armor than legendary subdermal armor plating from a ripperdoc.

Bonus points for putting the armadillo mod in your sneakers.

I completely agree that the current implementation of the armor stat in game is completely immersion-breaking.

Armor should've been given only by actual body armor items or cyberware. Most clothes should've no stats or minimum level requirement at all. It was bad already in The Witcher 3, but in Cyberpunk 2077 is worse, because it's way less believable

D_sOeEiUwAActdJ.jpg

but, look... it gives +7 str, 10% critical chance, -9% fire damage reduction and 8% resistance to energy weapons...honestly.. !

One level 50 epic armadillo mod has more armor than legendary subdermal armor plating from a ripperdoc.

Bonus points for putting the armadillo mod in your sneakers.

I completely agree that the current implementation of the armor stat in game is completely immersion-breaking.

the subdermal plating is pretty weak, but it also has no requirements, no competition and stacks with regular armor. The armor mods actually make sense though because the mod is actually you altering the material. its made out of.

regardless, its a game, some decisions will always be made for the purpose of gameplay.
Post automatically merged:

Armor should've been given only by actual body armor items or cyberware. Most clothes should've no stats or minimum level requirement at all. It was bad already in The Witcher 3, but in Cyberpunk 2077 is worse, because it's way less believable

this is bulletproof armor now, In Real Life.

I don't think a scifi high tech future has to conform to the idea that armor has to look bulky to do its job anymore

1612580729292.png

Guest 4531988

the subdermal plating is pretty weak, but it also has no requirements, no competition and stacks with regular armor. The armor mods actually make sense though because the mod is actually you altering the material. its made out of.

regardless, its a game, some decisions will always be made for the purpose of gameplay.

this is bulletproof armor now, In Real Life.

I don't think a scifi high tech future has to conform to the idea that armor has to look bulky to do its job anymore

View attachment 11168273

Kelvar can stop most pistol rounds
When you move into rifle territory Ceramic Plates, High Density Poly/Plastic to stop stuff like a 30-06 Kelvar won't cut it. (It basically has to be a Level IV).

Also wearing a vest irl will save your life, it doesn't mean you'll still be able to fight. Honestly after a single round (30-06) you are likely to die from internal bleeding as it will wind you, break ribs etc. After 2 rounds (if you are lucky) the armor is pretty much spent. Stopping the bullet is one thing, but you still have massive energy transfer. Against a .50 cal (like the sniper rifles it's useless)

This game however isn't remotely balanced on irl. Pistol round hit harder, even at range than majority of rifles do, including the precision rifle. The few .50 snipers can complete with the pistols, but the pistols due to perks never have drop-off.

Fair point. However, at least it covers all surfaces. If you decide to wear a bikini + booty shorts, you're leaving some rather vital areas unprotected.

All armor even if you could do Subdermal has weak areas for mobility. Subdermal armor being 40-60% of the max armor value possible, would solve this issue of a bikini - Booty shorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelvar can stop most pistol rounds
When you move into rifle territory Ceramic Plates, High Density Poly/Plastic to stop stuff like a 30-06 Kelvar won't cut it. (It basically has to be a Level IV).

Also wearing a vest irl will save your life, it doesn't mean you'll still be able to fight. Honestly after a single round (30-06) you are likely to die from internal bleeding as it will wind you, break ribs etc. After 2 rounds (if you are lucky) the armor is pretty much spent. Stopping the bullet is one thing, but you still have massive energy transfer. Against a .50 cal (like the sniper rifles it's useless)

This game however isn't remotely balanced on irl. Pistol round hit harder, even at range than majority of rifles do, including the precision rifle. The few .50 snipers can complete with the pistols, but the pistols due to perks never have drop-off.

All armor even if you could do Subdermal has weak areas for mobility. Subdermal armor being 40-60% of the max armor value possible, would solve this issue of a bikini - Booty shorts.

the armadillo mod represents adding hidden heavier materials/lining/miniplates

1612590823874.png

the armor you get without armadillo mods is a joke in this game. if you are fighting stuff your level without armadillo mods, you can generally take 1-2 hits. if you use armadillo you are giving up critical and movement mods.

Basically, instead of lowering stats, they achieved the same effect by giving up bonuses, most related to speed/agility/accuracy.

this is not a 2020 rl simulation, its a scifi future game. You can assume that armor/defensive clothing technology is pretty advanced in a society thats ahead of us technologically, and has massive amounts of Guns and gun fights regularly. Two of the biggest corporations, Arasaka and Militech, are basically war technology and service companies.

heres a quote irl of what they are hoping to develop by studying nano materials and atomic structures in an article about the future of body armor

"If all the projects come to fruition and engineers are able to blend all the results together, we could see a revolution of body armor. Instead of simply using hard materials to stop attacks like we have for centuries, we could use flexible materials to create armor that moves like clothing and, if we’re really lucky, weighs about the same as traditional fabrics. "

keep in mind this article talks about going even further, where the materials absorb more impact, instead of just transferring it.

The armour system in this game seems to be semi randomly generated stats on items. Just another case of this game having a lazy design because the development team was more obsessed with designing 300 different types of hotpants for your character to wear that you will never even see rather than having a functional armour/clothing system.

The armour system in this game seems to be semi randomly generated stats on items. Just another case of this game having a lazy design because the development team was more obsessed with designing 300 different types of hotpants for your character to wear that you will never even see rather than having a functional armour/clothing system.

the armor system isn't lazy, you could say its not a good idea, but it doesn't require more work to do it a different way.

The system is, armor created is based on character level, with a small increase of 1-5 levels based on rarity. Slots are determined by rarity, with each rarity having a specific amount of max slots per rarity. Upgrading armor sets a max increase based on your char level.

if you want to be a master of itemization, you pick crafting. This allows you essentially control what gear you have without having to find it in stores or the world.

I guess every one here remeber beautiful first trailer with cyberpsycho girl. Regular police squad was shooting her with machineguns but she had subdermal armor (it look like her face was made of alloy because bullet left a scratch on her cheek). That was beliveble to me. She took it too far with cyborgization and had her cons (psychosis) and pros (invincibility) and Psycho Squad had to enter the scene. In curent game subdermal armor is a joke because it's not scaling with other items.
To be honest I find this MMO/hack'n'slash loot scaling mechanics with RNG rolls not fitting to the CP universe...

I guess every one here remeber beautiful first trailer with cyberpsycho girl. Regular police squad was shooting her with machineguns but she had subdermal armor (it look like her face was made of alloy because bullet left a scratch on her cheek). That was beliveble to me. She took it too far with cyborgization and had her cons (psychosis) and pros (invincibility) and Psycho Squad had to enter the scene. In curent game subdermal armor is a joke because it's not scaling with other items.
To be honest I find this MMO/hack'n'slash loot scaling mechanics with RNG rolls not fitting to the CP universe...
I still have the sinister impression that she didn't take cyborgization too far, but had herself implanted and purposely went out slaughtering because she wanted to join Maxtac in the first place. So, somehow she figured out Maxtac's recruitment system and sent her applicationform by slaughtering 14 people, then sat down all passive waiting to be taken in. She was obviously aware of Maxtac shooting first and asking questions later, so the subdermal implants were an obvious addition. Totally unnecessary for slaughtering 14 people, but a requirement for making it to the actual interview.

I still have the sinister impression that she didn't take cyborgization too far, but had herself implanted and purposely went out slaughtering because she wanted to join Maxtac in the first place. So, somehow she figured out Maxtac's recruitment system and sent her applicationform by slaughtering 14 people, then sat down all passive waiting to be taken in. She was obviously aware of Maxtac shooting first and asking questions later, so the subdermal implants were an obvious addition. Totally unnecessary for slaughtering 14 people, but a requirement for making it to the actual interview.
As far as I know, subdermal armor wouldn't save her from MaxTac's armor-piercing, high caliber bulets. In my opinion she entered catatonic state after cyberpsychosis attack and that's why she was just sitting on the street.

this is not a 2020 rl simulation, its a scifi future game. You can assume that armor/defensive clothing technology is pretty advanced in a society thats ahead of us technologically, and has massive amounts of Guns and gun fights regularly. Two of the biggest corporations, Arasaka and Militech, are basically war technology and service companies.

heres a quote irl of what they are hoping to develop by studying nano materials and atomic structures in an article about the future of body armor

"If all the projects come to fruition and engineers are able to blend all the results together, we could see a revolution of body armor. Instead of simply using hard materials to stop attacks like we have for centuries, we could use flexible materials to create armor that moves like clothing and, if we’re really lucky, weighs about the same as traditional fabrics. "

keep in mind this article talks about going even further, where the materials absorb more impact, instead of just transferring it.
Yeah and I like how it works after I got used to it and it also allows a lot of versatility. Someone wanting to play character taking a certain gas station armed with only a baseball bat and dressed in these can do that.

Then nothing prevents using tactical gear available in game. I think this is absolutely better system for most of us, than getting all obsessive about it.

Top Bottom